Subject Topic: Bloody Windows 10....(i’m done with it) Post ReplyPost New Topic
<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Herry

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 October 2017 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote Herry

Hi Paul

I responded to your challenge, and read it right through! My reaction is GULP! What has happened since the end of your account? BTW, because of numerous stories like yours (though not in such meticulous detail!) and because I use vb6, I have stayed with a very stable Windows 7 64 bit. However, I do suspect you had a virus of some kind... And I have yet to be convinced that virus scanners are either 100% effective or <tinfoil hat mode on> do not themselves meddle with settings to ensure they are justified.

Back to Top View Herry's Profile Search for other posts by Herry

Paul_L

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 1:29am | IP Logged Quote Paul_L

Herry,

I'm pretty sure there was no virus involved. McAfee, Malwarebytes and the various microsoft scanners can't find anything. Microsoft did something during April to mess up one or more of the device drivers. The microsoft techs agree with that. Gateway went backrupt, Asus took over their support, but they don't support the older win 7 boxes with device drivers. The microsoft techs wanted to install a clean win 7 but that would have destroyed the program installations so I'm just keeping the machine off the internet.

When I get the replacement win 10 box up to speed I will try the Raxco Perfect Updater program out. They say it will find the correct drivers if they exist. If that doesn't work I'll flatten the thing and install a linux distro.

Paul in NY
Back to Top View Paul_L's Profile Search for other posts by Paul_L

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Dear God.......

You are right - my problems pale in comparison to that.
Crikey. Faced with that, I think I would have turned to the Whisky for comfort....

Perhaps this is the problem you run into with COMPULSORY updates - some updates are bound and seem to definitely be corrupting drivers and other system stuff.

NOT good. Linux is calling me.....(I am trying to install Mint on a spare machine this weekend)

Edited by Grogster on 21 October 2017 at 7:03am

Herry

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote Herry

Grogster wrote:
...I think I would have turned to the Whisky for comfort....

.... Linux is calling me.....(I am trying to install Mint on a spare machine this weekend)

I did, and it nearly killed me. Now I stick to red wine! You will find Mint fine!

Paul_L

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote Paul_L

I gave up drinking about 40 years ago when diabetes attacked me. Polacks specialize in Vodka, not beer, whisky or wine. Vodka and diabetes don't mix.

I can't abandon windoze. For the last 26 years since Pan Am shut down I have been writing really nice database programs using Clipper and then VisualFoxPro9 for dozens of public charities. VFP9 still runs on W10. It uses a specialized implementation of SQL (pronounced squeel by mainframers) and there is nothing as flexible available under linux. My programs are out there in over 200 Elks, Lions, VFW, KofC, YMCA, YWCA, and YMHA installations and I don't want to abandon them! I'M STUCK!!!!

You guys have probably been wondering whether I've given up developing my geothermal control program. I haven't! I've just been wrestling with this damned windoze thing.

First they broke their own System Restore when they changed their protection of the %Program Files%\WindowsApps\ directory. (See error 0X80070091 and KB3213986.) Then they began messing with advanced driver features which caused windoze updates to crash older machines with older, abandoned, drivers.

I have sent out letters to all of the charities I have worked for suggesting that they get together and sue microsoft when windoze will no longer run their VFP9 programs! I have gotten about 45 interested responses so far. This might prove to be interesting.

Aaaah well, back to the geothermal code!!!

Paul in NY
Back to Top View Paul_L's Profile Search for other posts by Paul_L

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote Grogster

I am extremely unlikely to abandon Windoze, but I am willing to have a play around with Mint as I am much more familiar with Linux then I ever have been before, and I am learning more and more about Linux the more I use it.

I guess it has to be said that every version of Windoze has it's lovers and it's haters. I remember a handful of people even singing the praises of Windows ME a few years ago, and I could not stand that one either. :(

I think the problem start to fester, if you are the kind of user who wants to change things about your system. If you are prepared to leave all the default settings alone, and let Microsoft decide for you on what is best for your system, you may well have less problems, but as soon as you start changing the settings around to the way YOU want them.....

Might be wrong on that, but that is the feeling I get.

joebog1

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 1:39am | IP Logged Quote joebog1

Let us all hope you continue with Linux, Grogster
Once the phobia is past you will rapidly dump windowz.

Dont forget that it will run on a machine with 512k RAM and a i386. In limited form.
Its super easy on hard drives, ( they dont run ALL the time) Is extremely frugal on resources, VERY economical on power requirements ( read: VERY suitable for off grid )

AND!!! Mint was just a suggestion, its easy to learn, is ( sort of intuitive ) hard to bugger up, ( you will need to use a terminal after a crash) But I have NEVER lost a file!!! AND there are literally hundreds of flavours available.

There was a major world Unix crash about 1984, that took out almost ALL computers ( as opposed to games machines) like those at CSIRO, NASA, and the US military.
It took two days for almost every machine to be up and running.
The virus was less than 100 lines of code!!. I only know about that crash as I worked for both companies at about that time. ( CSIRO/NASA )

I have not heard ( or experienced ) another even remotely similar.

Joe
Back to Top View joebog1's Profile Search for other posts by joebog1

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 2:20am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Interesting. What did it attack? The MBR?

chronic
Guru
Guru

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 4:41am | IP Logged Quote chronic

Given a choice between a free OS like Mint that does not require so much bloat, and even a free W10 that does, most people who are on limited data bandwidth have no real option. Few people either can or want to, put up with a system that will spontaneously chop net access while it downloads gigabytes of update - meaning unreliable - and creates unplanned expense as it does so. That might sound luddite but that would be most people in the third world. It is also the parts of country areas, and metropolitan Sydney, where the 'Nationals Botched Network' is not real or anything like the pollies hype.. At this point the data cost of W10 updates is going to cost more than the cost of old machines that will be running it. A seriously Dumb strategy if you ask me - unless updates are made a lot more accessable Microsoft has just made it virtually necessary (ed-for a lot of people) to dump its main product.

I tried Mint a few years ago, it was pretty good and a lot faster on equivalent hardware.. There was a problem with a bad distro ( a year ago ?) that had been hacked but I think that has been cleared now.

(edit) Ironic isn't it ? Updates are mandatory for security we were told. Now the update is for 3D/VR use apparently.

Edited by chronic on 22 October 2017 at 4:56am
Back to Top View chronic's Profile Search for other posts by chronic

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 6:30am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

chronic - I have to agree with your post there. The CONSTANT updates to W10(even on a clean install) are enough to drive me NUTS, and I would never use it on any of my machines. I guess I need to come-clean and admit that it IS on my 10" tablet, but I hate it with an intensity such that hardly ever use it. I guess I could look at the possibility of using Win8 or something on it - it dual-boots W10 and Android, so one would think that loading a new OS would be possible...(but many new cheaper tablets are locked and you can't!)

Herry

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 6:44am | IP Logged Quote Herry

Paul_L wrote:
I gave up drinking about 40 years ago when diabetes attacked me. Polacks specialize in Vodka, not beer, whisky or wine. Vodka and diabetes don't mix.

Paul in NY

I've had diabetes type II for year and years, (started with heavy boozy lunches and heavy me). The scotch caused AFL so I stopped that. I find that red wine actually reduces BSL!

Boppa

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Boppa

chronic wrote:
That might sound luddite but that would be most people in the third world. It is also the parts of country areas, and metropolitan Sydney, where the 'Nationals Botched Network' is not real or anything like the pollies hype.. At this point the data cost of W10 updates is going to cost more than the cost of old machines that will be running it. A seriously Dumb strategy if you ask me - unless updates are made a lot more accessable Microsoft has just made it virtually necessary (ed-for a lot of people) to dump its main product.

I'm in Brisbakers, and went from cable- blitzed along, had paytv/fetch through it no issues, was forced off that onto NBN (No Bloody Network) and have gone back to free to air tv and renting dvd (well I discovered they are usb sticks these days- and you have to bring your own!)

Fetch/ paytv through NBN is totally unusable here, watch 30 sec, buffer 5 sec, watch 30 sec, buffer 5 sec...
Worse the fetch box doesnt appear to record the data itself (which would at least make movies etc watchable after downloading/saving- which was my first idea)- no they appear to record the video output of the tuners- so the recordings are of the watch 30 sec, buffer 5 sec type too

AARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Utube hd is unusable, utube sd is barely usable- I pause at the beginning and wait until at least 1/2 is downloaded before starting watching- otherwise I catch up to it and back to buffering

I got a 'unlimited' download limit on the house- which is pointless as it isnt worth downloading anything on it- if I want to watch fetchtv/stan/netflix I have to use the phones data- and that costs too much

Seriously- for a 3rd world country it would be pathetic, for a supposedly 1st world country and AFTER a multibillion dollar upgrade????

Pathetic doesnt cover it....

Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version