Off grid inverter Panelage.

Clockmanfr

Guru

Posted: 07:27am 06 Aug 2022      

Davo99 said  Got a bunch of GTI's that are all over clocked by at least double on the panels and been running them 4-5 years no problem.

I keep reading that off grid inverters connected to batteries CANNOT have more panels amps than specified on them.

Can anyone tell me if they KNOW or have experience if this is correct or not?

"I keep reading that off grid inverters connected to batteries CANNOT have more panels amps than specified on them."

You will need to be more specific?

In a Off Grid situation where your main off grid inverter,  ie battery voltage to 230vac and your GTI's are AC  coupling. ie, connected into the 230vac Mini Grid your main Inverter is creating. Then your Main Inverter must have headroom and importantly must be a 2 way H BRIDGE design, and your batteries must have suffecient AH capacity to handle sudden surges.

However, you will need to control the back charging from your Mini Grid creating Inverter. Or else your batteries will cook. So energy management in this situation becomes very important.

If its just solar then its not difficult, if you have Wind turbines or Hydro, then things get complicated.

I only know of one comercial Inverter manufacturere that i have worked with that can handle AC coupling comfortably, but it still needs other protection limiters.