4 wheeler to EV

Author Message


Joined: 15/07/2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 639
Posted: 01:16am 20 Jan 2014      

We changed the front sprocket to a smaller one, 13 teeth. It had spline on the inside, which I machined out so it would slide onto the motor shaft. Being a very hardened sprocket, I did not attempt to cut a keyway into it. I made up a small boss that is screwed to the sprocket. To be held on the motor shaft, an extra peice had to be made that fitted over the head of the screws.

This made a ratio of 56:13 or 4.3:1. The acceleration was much better, and very reasonable.

Dale has had a lot of fun riding it around.

Tinker, the double reduction was already on the cards, and is now in progress. I will post more on that later.

Trev @ drivebynature.com