Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:10 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Guest Book : DWIN 7 Inch Display

Glen0

Posted: 03:05am 15 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just want an idea if it is worth trying to connect this display to a Pico.

I intercepted 2 of them on their way to the scrap heap.
I suppose the RJ45 and USB ports will not be of any use, there are however what looks like 2 serial ports.
My Knowledge and experience with LCD displays is limited to the little bit I have learned from experimenting with micromites and Picomites, so if it is glaringly obvious to anyone, I will not be offended in the least, if I'm told this is completely impossible.
Just seemed such a waste to dispose of these.

Hopefully I have succeeded in attaching the PDF which comes as close to any data I could find on the device.
DMT10600T070_32WTZA2.pdf

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:24am 15 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello fellow Kiwi.

This probably would have more replies if it was posted in the Micro and PC Projects forum rather then the Guest Book....

My own guess would be "Probably not".

The reason is that, although we can see where the TFT connector is along with the touch FPC, there is no way to know what the TFT controller is, nor the touch-controller.

If you wanted to strip the units down, and perhaps post some additional information that might be on the FPC or the units themselves(perhaps there are stickers?), then probably not.

Lets assume that the TFT is a standard connection pin-out, you would still need to interface that to an SSD1963 controller chip before MMBASIC could control it, so that is going to be a lot of work vs the price of a standard 5" or 7" SSD1963-based LCD module that can easily be had on eBay or AliExpress for about $70 or so new(for the 7" one).

Not saying it is impossible, but the TFT FPC cable will have to be connected to a compatible driver IC before you can have any chance of driving it with MMBASIC, and again - a lot of work vs just buying something that everyone knows works.

I admire your wanting to re-use old stuff, but I think in this particular case, it is probably impractical.  

I am totally willing to be proven wrong on this by other members.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Glen0

Posted: 02:35am 29 Mar 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Aha
Thanks for replying, I don't know how this ended up in the Guest Book. I don't post much so I must have missed something during the upload.I was just about to open a new post on this when I stumbled on your reply.
Knowing that I won't be using it now, I will pull it apart and look at it a little more closely before binning it.
Cheers

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024