Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:39 30 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Guest Book : Greetings from Queensland

raymond thomson

Posted: 12:33pm 19 Sep 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great site - What a find!
I have just purchased a Southern Cross windmill and in the process of re-assembly and erecting. Loved your pics and short blog. Mine is a similar ZC model. I am interested in your pump arrangement above ground, and wonder if you bought new pro-pol push rods. What is the maximum height you think you can push water?. I am really interested in the preservation and aesthetic appeal of the windmill standing down near the creek and any water we can pump to the gardens will be a real bonus.
I will be an avid watcher. Thanks. Raymond

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:37pm 19 Sep 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Welcome Ray

Good to see more of the old technology being used again

All the best
Bob
Foolin Around

norcold

Guru

Posted: 01:25pm 26 Sep 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Knocked up a pump using 2" PVC for cylinder, a poly non-return valve, nylon piston, leather bucket and a 1/2" stainless rod. Worked well for years but the old Southern Cross geardrive has failed. Probably because I was pushing the water up 30m, haven`t checked problem as solar is proving to be a low maintenance solution. Read- Bloody getting to lazy to climb ladders and repair.

Welcome to the 4M Ray, you`ll find lots of helpful members here, with help on a wide range of topics, all to do with our own backsheds.
We come from the land downunder.
Vic

raymond thomson

Posted: 10:33am 29 Sep 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the welcome, guys.
It looks as if my DO LIST will grow exponentially with all these great ideas floating around on the site.
I am slowly progressing the windmill erection and on a steep learning curve with everything from footings to pumping power. Must remember to chuck the camera into the toolbox and record it for posterity.
Raymond

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 12:24pm 29 Sep 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Raymond,

I'm from SE of South Oz and am a retired farmer - used to have a tank and windmill business.

How deep to water, how high above ground to lift it?

Is your pump submerged or above ground?

Is the main column steel or pro-poly?
David M.

raymond thomson

Posted: 02:03pm 29 Sep 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi David,

I am in mid Queensland, near Bundaberg where it is very very dry right now. But there is still a little water in the creek. The bore is just 7.0m deep with 2.5m down to the water level. Just 4.5m of water which I blasted out with a fire-fighter last week and it recovered quite quickly.
My original plan was to mount the pump at ground level with a tail pipe into the bore. If that does not prove effective, ie replenishment is a problem, I could swing the tail pipe down the bank to the creek which is still only three metres down. (The water is pretty awful but doesn't seem to be harming the grass and plants that we have been watering with it.)

There was an old windmill on the spot that had collapsed into the creek many years ago and completely rusted away. However it appeared that the pump, which I salvaged, was set up this way. Everyone else seems to think that the pump must be submerged to work properly or maintain its prime.
Right now the mill is going to be positioned right over the bore and the foundation holes are due to be drilled this morning. . I think I might rig the pump down the bore and risk re-rigging it later if It doesn't work. Ideas/advice welcome.

The pump and buckets appear in good nick, the mill was working till the day we collected it. The main column of steel is pretty grotty and the main push rod is quite rusted and I am considering putting up new pro poly. Again, I could probably use the existing stuff to see if everything works before moving down that road but only if all the lengths match up.

The target storage tank will be approx. 18m up the hill and 100m distance.

I am not sure what else I can tell you but I am very happy to converse with someone who knows about this stuff.
Thanks
Raymond

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 03:46pm 29 Sep 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Raymond,

Sorry, I answered the other topic first, so info might be a bit disjointed. Perhaps we stick to the "pumping" thread.

What I suggested in the other thread pretty well matches what you mentioned in this one.

If you are going to leave the pump above ground for easy maintenance, you will need two things.

First is a foot valve at the bottom of the column to stop water draining back down the bore and the second is a "goose neck". A sort of a large "S" bend made out of pipe such that the column comes down to a "U" then back up a short way to the pump, out the top of the pump via another "U" them back down the bore again. The idea is to keep the pump in water to prevent the pump buckets (if they are leather) from drying out. If you are unsure, I'll do a sketch and post it.

Best to answer this thread in the "pumping water" one so we keep all the info together.

Regards
David M.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024