Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:02 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Guest Book : A New Member Interested in MCU’s

geraldfryjr

Posted: 09:19pm 02 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi There!
I am new to the forum and I had found it searching for more info on the MaxiMite and related projects.

I do normally frequent DIYaudio and I am well known there for work on ElectroStatic loudspeaker's (ESL's) and other associated audio projects.

I have just recently gotten in to the new world of modern MCU and PIC chips as I haven't done any programming since the days of when the 8-Bit machines had once ruled the world.

I am very familiar with computer languages in general such as Assembly and Basic but know nothing about C or Python or any of the newer stuff, But I am slowly learning.

I do use MS Windows,Linux and DOS operating systems as well.
I am very fluent on the latest things that are happening in the world of electronics and do my best to keep up.

I guess you could say that I could fix a computer down to the PCB hardware level if I had to, But I know nothing about modern methods of programming them except for what I used to do many years ago on the ole' 8-Bit machines. ;)

I was very intrigued when I found the Maximite project.
And, I am currently working on my own DIY version as I am in the Info gathering stage at the moment.

I am very happy to see that GeoffG is also a member here. :)

My one question about the project is that,
Is there support for using the extra GPIO's that are found on the 100 pin packages?

As that is the package I had gotten (PF instead of PT).
Else I would have to order the smaller packages.

I have no issues on making a board for either of the packages, but it would be nice to know if there is software support to use the extra i/o pins.

The projects that I have in mind can/will be using many more I/O pins than what is currently supported in the original design.

The project is definitely a warm welcome of an upgraded twist of the older machines that I first cut my teeth on, Using today's incredible technology!!

As well as still having lots of easy connectivity for stuff.

Unlike the modern day computer!!

Thank you for letting me join your Forum and I hope to be able to contribute what knowledge I have as well.

Cheers !!!!

jer :) Edited by geraldfryjr 2014-03-04
Keep on DIYin' !!!

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 10:40pm 02 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

geraldfryjr said  The projects that I have in mind can/will be using many more I/O pins than what is currently supported in the original design.

Welcome. Can you give us a bit of an indication what project you are into with the MaxiMite?

If you need more pins than the MM has, there are data expander devices and the like you can use or as you sound adventurous, you can design and build your own add-ons.
David M.

geraldfryjr

Posted: 02:31am 03 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A lot of what I will be doing will require a parallel data bus for transfer of audio data to and from a SD card or other memory storage unit.
Maybe I will use a PATA hard drive as flash memories have a limited number write cycles.

Basically I want it to be the control unit of a multitrack audio recording system or very fast data logger.

I figure that the easiest and most simplest way to do this is by using a parallel methods.
The transition from a 16-bit system to 24-bit system or wider would be as simple as increasing width of the parallel bus and A/D and D/A units as the MCU needs not to do any processing to the data.

All it has to do is transfer all of the channels data from point A to point B and vice versa as the input and output sample rate will be clocked the same for all of the channels.

Infact the MCU doesn't even have to touch the data at all.
All it has to do is control the timing on the buss.
Duplicating the functions of a multi track recorder.

I have a Tascam MSR-16 but it is getting to find parts for it,the only two rubber wheel parts that it has.

It now requires over $250 in just two wheels that are very hard to find.
So its days are numbered even though the heads are still in very mint condition since I have had it new in 1994.

All of the channels samples must be in sync, with the sample timing perfect with each other channel.

The system will be have the capability to be SMPTE locked to the tape machine or other recording sub system and could be readily stacked at add more channels when more are needed.

The goal is to get 192Khz sample rate or better but 96khz is okay for now.
I know most all of the audio CODEC's use SPI or I2C for data transfer, but that is what causes delay issues between the channels and individual samples too not be in perfect alignment.

I think something like this would appeal to the many low budget recording studio hobbyists out there, but would still have excellent sound quality with an unlimited expansion capability's without costing so much on a as needed basis.

I like the KISS method even though it may mean not such a compact sized system.

I did find a 4 channel 16-Bit delay unit that uses something like only 5 or 7 chips.
it uses three MCU's from Microchip and is open source.
The Demo samples were incredible so that is how I got this crazy idea started.

I have several tape machines and the lowest cost one I have was $2200 when it was new.
The 16 track was $5800!!

You just can't beat analog tape when it comes to SQ.

24 bit is okay when it is at least 96Khz or better but Tascam's current models are still only 48Khz sample rate.

But for what they cost and with today's technologies they could do much much better.

It is exactly why I have not gotten a newer digital recorder yet, 48Khz Come on!!!

I have an old Gina24 soundcard that can do 2in/8out track and does a better job at that at 24/96Khz.
And Those cards are stackable in the same system only they are getting old and harder to find but they are on Ebay once in a while.

It may be beyond the means of the MaxiMite system itself but I think that the PIC32MX can handle it for the most part.
Especially the PIC32MZ's (once they come out) will certainly handle such a task.

I just ordered some 70MIP 16 bit PIC's to try and implement a small 16 bit system to start out with and prove the concept.

Other functions include, controlling a dream stereo system that I had come up with back in 1978 when I was 15 that includes a fully touch mirrored front panel with a center color video display.

It was to have 4 x 480watt amplifiers in it.

The amplifier configuration will be changed but it is possible to do that combo very easily in these modern times.

It was possible to build the thing at the time, but it would have been very expensive back then.

The whole concept was way ahead of its time back then, but it isn't anything more than what you can buy right now.

I just want to do it because I can and it has been a lifelong dream of mine to finish it now that I am getting older.

jer :)
Keep on DIYin' !!!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024