Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:16 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Installation Advice

cam4771

Posted: 11:14am 01 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi, I am looking at having a solar system installed, and am just after some advice before I go ahead with anything. My main goal is to get a basic system up and running now - and down the track add to it with wind turbines and/or more solar panels.

So far my plan is to go with Energy Matters (www.energymatters.com.au) - they seem to have reasonable pricing, and also have wind solutions on their web site.

So question 1 would be has anyone had any experience with this company? Does anyone have any suggestions on a reputable company in Vic?

Question 2 - the invertor for the basic system is a 1.35kw Sunny Boy SB1100 from what I can see. Is it worth paying the extra for an upgrade to the invertor - or should I just plan to add a windmill to supplement power when the solar panels aren’t creating much or no power only? Can I even add a windmill to this invertor or do I need a separate one?

Question 3 - Should I look at getting a tracking device? Is there a lot of difference in power generated from them as apposed to fixed systems?

Question 4 - Should I bother paying for them to install a monitoring device, they offer 2 systems, a Fronius Remote Personal Display or a Fronius COM Card Computer Control and Monitoring system. I would like to monitor performance etc from my computer - but it seems like a good fun project I could do myself when I get some time?

I am looking to do this as cheap as possible with maximum power generation - are there other things I can do/buy/install myself to save money on the initial outlay? What sort of overall price should I expect from a standard 1kw system (the price it is looking at so far is about $4000 of my money) ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I take the plunge.

Thanks in advance

Cam

windlight
Guru

Posted: 05:17am 07 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cam I have no experience with the company you mention.

Q2 the way I understand a sunny boy it would not be suitable for adding a wind turbine, even a windy boy has linitations, mainly voltage control on the turbine.

Tracking works for me, the gains on the sholder periods(morning and afternoon) are significant. Most supliers will just tell you to buy extra panels with what you would have spent on a tracking array. That tracking arrays are high maitenance. There are truths in all those statements, depends on your site, personal ability etc.

When my house system goes in I will pay for a comercial monitoring device, I have one system that is monitored by me alone. Realy depends on how you are with electronics.

Just my experience.
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

cam4771

Posted: 11:22am 07 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cool... thanks for the advice... as for the invertor the next step up they offer is the Fronius IG15 2kw for an extra $600. Does anyone know if this inverter would be more suited to add a wind turbine too?

I think the tracking sounds good, extra output without having extra expense on an even bigger invertor, I will have to get some prices.

As for the monitoring I think I could interface some simple monitoring devices and write a bit of software with some pretty pictures etc to monitor each solar panel and wind turbine individually on my pc.

AMUN-RA

Posted: 05:51am 08 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

look for the new latronics inverter it is designed for wind the ig 15 isn't mick
Every day the sun shines
& gravity sucks= free energy.

fillm

Guru

Posted: 08:51am 08 Jul 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cam
As mick has said , Latronics are the only company that make an grid inverter to( aus standard ) that will work with a wind gen PVE 1200 .. 48v input ..

Sunny boy and others can be used but you would need a dc/dc converter ..

About 4000 is Ok , check who gets the REC's..

Forget the monitoring sys it's a extra large cost , latronics just have 4 leds , and should be heaps cheaper , remember you are not monitoring a power station but trying to ofset your power bill at the cheapest outlay price ..

PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024