Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:28 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Biggest mistakes made when new to solar

Page 3 of 3    
hotwater

Posted: 09:05pm 03 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I run a chest fridge made from a freezer. It has its own 2,000W MSW inverter with all fans removed. The freezer is the only thing powered by this. Temperature control is a nano with appropriate time delays and voltage inhibit. It turns on the inverter so there is no idle power. It only runs in the day, large mass of liquid keeps it cold thru the night. That is why I only need a car battery.

Standard AC compressors are made ultra cheap with a very high inrush start current. You save that inrush current with a DC type compressor motor.

Are you saying you haven't seen this?

Edited by hotwater 2019-06-05

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 06:42am 04 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have seen it but it may as well be written in Klingon to me.

You over estimate everyone else's abilities with this and don't realise what is simple to you is basicly impossible to others.

It's not the lack of desire to use these diagrams and circuits, it's the lack of ability that holds some of us back.

hotwater

Posted: 09:59am 04 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think it is a lack of desire. People find a way to do what they are interested in. Just can't say I don't understand. Take one little component and say and what what does that do. I think you do need to struggle a bit. Look at a data sheet and try to figure out what this term means or which pin is what. Then ask a question. If I make pretty pictures and they are followed exactly, nothing is learned. If a problem happens you can't solve it. Better off not even attempting this.

We have the exactly the same brain we had 4,000 years ago. An ancient Egyptian could do solar as well as any of us. Only difference was the ability to get an education. I don't tell people what they can't do, they have themselves for that. I've started a thread to cover water heating. Tell me just one thing you have a question about. Is it worth a $6 board to learn something?

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 02:08pm 04 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My Vocabulary and literary skills are inadequate to properly formulate the reply I would like to make without great possibility it could be taken the wrong way and seem rude or ungrateful.

I will just say this....

Quote   If a problem happens you can't solve it. Better off not even attempting this.

To me this is akin to saying if you don't know how a car works and can't fix it, then you shouldn't be driving one. In this case it's more like " If you can't build a car and aren't prepared to look at every component to understand how to build and repair it if something goes wrong, then you shouldn't buy or be driving one"

By the same token, Not much point teaching people how to do aerobatics if you then say OK, it's up to you now to figure out how to take off and land on your own. If you are not prepared to help with the basics then the rest in the middle may not be of a lot of use to those people.

I can and have built and rebuilt cars. I get the impression with your deep knowledge of electronics, you may not be able to do that as it is a very different skill set and interest base.
If you don't do all the repairs on your vehicle, would it be reasonable to say you need to look at every component and ask what does this do and learn every system in a vehicle so you can repair it in case of something going wrong?

Of course by your position, you don't get a working car to look at and learn from seeing how it works in the first place. Your position is someone gives you a bunch of parts for something you know nothing about and saying learn what each part does so you can put them together.
If I put all the parts in a shed and gave your wife the workshop manual, do you think that would be enough for her to build the vehicle? What if the thing is a combine harvester and she has no idea what it's supposed to do or how it works?

I now realise from the other thread that this isn't even the whole circuit in the above diagram. You are showing part of the car to someone that doesn't know how they work and saying you should be able to figure this out and how to build the rest of the car that goes with it and how the pieces go together...... without that section of the manual.

People don't want to know how to build or repair cars. Their objective is to get to where they want to go to fulfill other needs and desires. In this case I do just want to be able to copy something I can manage, integrate it into what I want to do as the main project and then when I can see it working, when I can make adjustments and add or adapt things, I will learn more from there as I have done with so many other things. And if I don't and just build it and move on, have I broken some obligation to learn everything about it just like building a car from a pile of parts?

I fully realise it is your decision of how much time and help you want to give people and I thank you for that donation of your time and effort however the bottom line is, unless you are willing to give people the help they need, your effort is wasted unfortunately. Perhaps answering basic and boring questions for Noobs like me is not satisfying and fulfilling for you. I do get that. I suppose the question is if you want to help them even if it's boring and you get satisfaction from that or you are looking for satisfaction from higher levels? Nothing wrong with that at all, just may not be clear to everyone what you want out of things.

Please don't take anything I have said as a complaint or a lack of gratitude, just trying to put things to you from the other POV.

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024