Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:36 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Build a 60 Amp PWM Boost Charger

Page 2 of 2    
Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 04:27am 13 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Solar Mike said  Certainly the Alloy bars can carry huge amounts of current compared to the PCB tracks and are very cost effective and easier to purchase compared to copper bars; how does it go on using them over time, as the surface oxidation that forms is an insulator.

Guess if the bars are polished up and a thin film of jointing compound used prior to clamping up, then all air is excluded and oxidation under the joint doesn't occur.

I have seen alloy bars used in switchboards, but they were all nickel plated.

Cheers
Mike

Aluminium is used a great deal these days for power distribution. You are quite right about the oxide layer, but there is a commercial grease called "Alminox" to be used when using aluminium crimp fittings and bolting to aluminium busbars.
Its the proper stuff, designed specifically for this application.
https://www.blackwoods.com.au/electrical/cable-accessories/jointing-resins-compounds/compound-joint-elec-alminox-grey-alm325g/p/00670412
Cheers,  Tony.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024