Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:32 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : What do you do with excess solar Power?

Page 2 of 2    
noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 09:19pm 12 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a suggestion, use aurora inverters, they have a simple program that you can adjust the max voltage ( by memory 275v). No sure on legalities etc. There is other inverters that have programs to adjust their max voltage threshold, but i found these easy.
I think it works !!

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 12:19am 13 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

noneyabussiness said  ... you can adjust the max voltage ( by memory 275v). No sure on legalities etc. There is other inverters that have programs to adjust their max voltage threshold, but i found these easy.

The regs are quite specific:
since changes to AS 4777.2 became effective on 9 October 2016, inverters have been limited to a 255V output. Thus, if the grid voltage is already high, your inverter is no longer able to overcome it and, instead, shuts itself off.

If you tweak your setup to get around this, you are running at your own risk.

Cheers
Mike

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 04:41am 13 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

noneyabussiness said  Just a suggestion, use aurora inverters, they have a simple program that you can adjust the max voltage ( by memory 275v). No sure on legalities etc. There is other inverters that have programs to adjust their max voltage threshold, but i found these easy.

I already have one Aurora Inverter, the 3,6. It holds about 263V for maybe a Minute before it trips out.
I have the program for it for the computer but can't get it to connect. Is there a way to ajust the settings on the Inverter itself? I also have a 5 KW Delta but the software I have can't hook up to that either. I think it needs a password which I don't have and haven't been bothered to open it up and reset the thing.

I got a solar edge inverter in 5 KW month or so back. Grilled the guy I bought it from whom assured me it did work but the testing I have done on the thing makes me wonder. I have only hooked it to a low wattage but what should be plenty high voltage array and sometimes it ":appears " to work and not others.
I'm hoping I can get into the settings of that one at least.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 05:06am 13 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Solar Mike said  
The regs are quite specific:
since changes to AS 4777.2 became effective on 9 October 2016, inverters have been limited to a 255V output. Thus, if the grid voltage is already high, your inverter is no longer able to overcome it and, instead, shuts itself off.

If you tweak your setup to get around this, you are running at your own risk.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I couldn't care less about their regs iF I tried.

IF THEY cared about their own regs and had the line voltage where it is supposed to be instead of running it as high as they do which you can see on any solar forum is an almost universal problem here, then I might be more inclined to observe them a bit more as well. The LOWEST I have ever seen daytime line voltage here was on a hot day last summer ( January) when they were asking people to reduce AC usage because of strain on the grid and the line voltage with my solar shut down for the measurement was 238v and that was with my AC going. I ran mine flat out because even with it going, I was still backfeeding till after 7PM.

The reality is my whole setup is at my risk because I did it all myself and I'm not a qualified solar installer so worrying about details from there is pointless.

These regs also require the installation of a rooftop Isolator which are known and proven to cause a LOAD of fires and are inherently ridiculous. In an emergency, Who the Fk is going to climb up on a roof to shut the solar off? Even the fire brigade won't do it here. The isolators are well documented to be the cause of more fires than anything else to do with solar.
We are one of the few( only ?) country to require them and despite even the Vic fire brigade saying they will not allow them on any of their properties, they still are supposed to be fitted.

My isolators are at ground level in an easy to reach place where anyone can get to them. If I want to work on something between the isolator and the panel, I shut the inverter down and then just unclip a connector breaking the circuit.

The standards actually have a number of conflicts which makes following them to the letter impossible so about 99% installs are not compliant anyway.

When I can see the specified nominal 230V on my circuits at any time, I'll worry about doing my part to keep the voltage within spec. At the moment I suspect more people than not would be pushing to ever back-feed any power and get a FIT.
Actually, saying that makes a lot of sense as to why they are so slack in ensuring the grid voltage is where it is supposed to be.

When the power co's can't be bothered meeting their own spec, they can hardly expect anyone else to.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 07:21am 13 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just did my reads for today, Made 53.4 Kwh.
Happy with that for this time of year.

Reason I did so well I think is because I kept a load on all day. Did the washing, ran the dryer, had the hot water tank heating, did some welding and ran the plasma Cutter around Midday and pumped out a lot of water from my tanks.

Would have allowed the Inverters to run unthrottled for the best part of the day if not all of it. I did also run the AC fan in the house a lot of the day to spread the warmth round form one end to the other. That alone is well over a KW on the big blower.

Good for today but tomorrow there will be no washing, drying, welding or Cutting to do ( I hope). Might have an extra long shower tonight. My aches and pains could use it and it will give me something to do with the power tomorrow.

Should be a meter read tomorrow as well. Be interesting to see how we did for the winter. I'm expecting around a $600 Bill which isn't bad given the amount of days we were using 50-60 Kwh.

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 08:28am 13 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Im with you on grid regs, the multi-million dollar companies don't know / follow them alot, but when it suits them...

Anyhoo, the internal usb connection ive had problems with, win 7 and win 10, but using one of these ( https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153190534642 ) with an extra wire to ground, worked fine using the rs485 connection on both OS's... i have the programs or you can get them freely from abb website.. if you give me an email address ill forward them to you. If you have a win xp system it worked flawless with internal usb connection.
I think it works !!

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 03:37am 14 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you for that.
I have ordered the adapter and I'll send you my email. Much appreciated.
I think I have XP on my old Photobooth laptop.  If not I'll give it a run on 7. :0)

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024