Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:53 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Heat sinks

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 07:35am 13 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am building my first inverter,along with help from Aaron ,who lives a nice drive from here.

I found some heat sinks I have collected from years gone bye.

We might have to cut what we have to get the best available.
I,be found some 12volt fans ,so a couple of these will be found a new home,also.

The install of the recovered inverter case is nearly complete,plenty of thought going into cable entry holes and removing unwanted studs,Etc inside the case.  The Torodial I rewound from this grid tied inverter will be used in my new inverter.
Been a couple days work soo far ,just doing the metal bashing,so a long way to go yet!,

Bushboy

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 07:40am 13 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The small box on the left hand side is for the Torodial. It,s fairly big and so we thought it a good idea for it to stand alone ,leaving most of the space in the case for the PCB,s and Choke ,Breakers,  Etc.

Bruce
Bushboy

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:26am 13 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just remember the torodial will need a fan as well, they get warm.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 08:49am 13 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The heat sink at the back looks the best option.
The one on the Right looks to be off an old rectifier battery charger and so is the one at the front centre, The Ericson rectifier battery charger, the SCR and diode block sits on that.
Edited 2020-04-13 18:52 by Revlac
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 08:53am 13 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes,I made provision for a fan , and late today found a hole saw of just the metal right diameter.

Also, found that stiff pressure on and off let’s the saw cool off a fir bit ,saving the saw from dullness. I use a crc type lube ,found the Trefolux is smelly and boils off quickly ,giving off dangerous smoke,maybe?

Also found with hole saws cutting hard stuff like stainless, drill a 8mm hole right on the outside diameter circle , it sort of helps gets rid of the waste ,which is very important,I always use a small paint brush to sweep away the shaft.

Going to control the fans with a fan speed controller ,and a temp sensor . 12 volts ,all of them ..

Hospital tomorrow ,radiation programme for the next 5 weeks..Tumor in my neck ,

Bruce
Bushboy

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024