Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:20 18 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : progress with new solar stuff

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 02:21am 19 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have been busy metal -bashing during our self-isolation...

I gutted a "Inspire" grid-tied unit, brand new, years ago to rewind the Torodial transformer in it for my power-hungry "Powerstar W7 " inverter.  

Well, it worked fine , until a lightning surge of power blew up the boards-I think?? , never could buy replacement ones..

Ok, back to this on-going project.  

I cut and made use of the case plus another case to hold the big Torodial..  She'll be a tight fit anyhow, so I hope all fits eventually..  

Plenty of fans and bottom holes ,covered in mozzie mesh stuff to keep out the critters..

I burnt out two hole saws in the cutting of the stainless steel, tough as hell ,but my hole saws were 20 years old from my rack building days ,so not bad. Bye the way ,before you all start screaming at me ,no lubricant works .Trust me , I've cut ,maybe a thousand holes ,the old asbestos stuff was fairly good ,but most us died using that stuff.

So, I just flood the saw, cut a bit , rest, let it cool , cut some more. Simple as that.

Aaron ,mu fellow forum mate, and distant neighbour is helping me on this project , he's building up the boards , and I'll be the "gofer"... (I'll be spending lots of time down the hospital in the coming months, they are having a go at killing these cancer cells in my neck muscles and neck bone structure, (probably that bloody asbestos and high power amplifiers I worked on for 40 years, did not help.LOL.Hey, they made me a special helmet that fits my head and shoulders out of some stuff ,like RF blocking fibre Glass. a couple holes for my eyes, and mouth and strap it on every time I get the radiation , I'll see if they mind me taking a photo , ..

Ok, I'm having fun in the workshop, no pain yet, so happy about that.
Bushboy

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 10:32am 21 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That looks like a very neat setup, plenty of air circulation by the looks of.
The Charge controller looks good, is that where it will be staying?
The connection order for most charge controllers that I'm aware of is, battery connection/power is FIRST ON AND LAST OFF, I think that's the best way to remember it, Unless someone has a better suggestion.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 12:26pm 21 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I might have a lot of solar panels but I have nothing as Impressive as all that!
Although seeing it, I'd like to try Copying it!

Nice Courier man bought me a 100M roll of solar cable today so all set to start putting up more panels and Consolidating the ones I have.

I was very worried where the ramifications of this China Flue were going to end up so i Set up some panels on inverters to power the Fridges if the power did go out and also wired in some  of the LED ceiling lights to some small 7Ah batteries.

Happily looks like not going to be needed.

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 11:59pm 08 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have progressed to gutting an old Telstra battery charger recently ,it's a bit bigger than the Inspire case ,so maybe can l eave the Torodial coil in it's case opposed to a seperate case...

Got some goodies from the Telstra case that will come in use further down the track..

So, I might be able to progress ,with the help of Aaron,who is busy doing the boards.  Hope to discuss the best way to position the boards and other necessary gear ,within the case.

Bruce
Bushboy

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 12:07am 09 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Opps, wrong picture--  where is the edit button ,I cannot find it ?

This is the new pic if someone can remove that previous one and replace with this, thanks.

Bushboy

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 12:12am 09 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Delete that last pic and message, please .. I don't know whats going on -beats me.

Bruce
Bushboy

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024