Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:07 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Solar v Wind RE

GWatPE

Posted: 11:06am 22 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

I have collated some RE data from my Solar and Wind systems for the past 3 weeks. Solar has 1kWhr resolution and Wind has 0.1kWhr resolution.

I will recap that the Solar is 2500W and the wind is a 450W system.

We are at the end of winter now.

This graph shows the variability of RE. The systems are grid connected. The combined systems, sort of average about 8kW production per day. This provides more power than we use for cooking and domestic appliances. The value of the power we export subsidises the cost of power needed to heat water. We are unable to be carbon neutral in the winter.

The graphs show the value of wind energy. My mill is only 2m rotor dia. I had estimated the average power output was equivalent to 1 of my solar panels. The reality is that the windmill is equivalent to 1.25kW of solar panels in the winter where I live.

I will perform a similar comparison in the summer.

My aim is to have an equal proportion of my RE to be supplied from Solar and Wind sources. I also intend to be close to carbon neutral in winter as well.

The data for the solar and wind is 240VAC kWhr. These are after all the conversions to 240VAC. The battery efficiency, DC-DC and DC-AC converter losses would increase the figs for collected energy, but for me the important aspect is the 240VAC kWhr.

I would be interested if other RE players have data of this type. I use the metering supplied by the utilities and provided in the AC inverters as well as plug in kWhr meters on the stand alone inverter.

We use the wind energy either from that stored in the battery with a stand alone inverter, or in bypass mode after is is returned to the normal AC grid. The Solar has no battery component, and all is directed to the AC grid.

Gordon.

Edited by GWatPE 2008-08-23
become more energy aware

oztules

Guru

Posted: 11:30am 22 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gordon,
Thanks for that, it is very enlightening, in fact I have never seen such a clear picture of side by side outputs for both types of systems before now.

You even had some still overcast days... bummer all round. (the 11th looks a good fishin day)
That little mill does a very commendable job, but the summer figures will cower it's contribution a bit, but certainly it adds to the mix. At least it has a chance at 24hr production.

Big investment in solar, the city has it's drawbacks. For that money I would have a huge wind device over here, and no-one would complain.... but there is no Chinese food around the corner either...

I will look forward to the summer comparison. That should be pretty one way I suspect.

Nice presentation Gordon.

.........oztules
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

GWatPE

Posted: 01:35pm 22 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi oztules,

thanks for the kind words. I could have presented last years total only data, but since I have added the extra metering and separated the solar from the wind data, a better picture is seen.

The mill will tend to have this 1-4kWhr daily output for a lot of the year. I expect to get up to 17kWhr some days from the solar in summer. I have had days with <0.1kWhr individually from both the solar and the wind systems.

My F&P mill will be flying soon. 3m rotor will be a plus. I am finishing the fin at present. Weather not to good for fibreglassing at the moment though, cold and wet. There was light snow in the hills last night and we had a few mm of hail.

I do not know about 24hr production. The wind usually drops off at sunset and sunrise, unless a frontal system passes through. This cyclic pattern is why my mills have sliprings.

BYW it is a 90min trip to Adelaide CBD, for me. I am regional residential and not suburban. A bit closer to the ocean would give better wind exposure, but a lot more maintenance for the money.

cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

greendreamin

Posted: 06:14am 23 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

tops, suprised how close the wind is to the solar output,
thanks
Stu

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024