Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:47 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : 1kw solar system

CB365

Posted: 01:48am 27 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have been looking at a 1kw solar system from a company called ecosmart. They are advertising a 1020watt grid connected solar system installed for $1990. (Assumming you can get the $8000 rebate)
I am of the option that it is not cost effective to install a solar system as the payback period is longer than the life of the cells. This deal seems to be quite a good price. I realise 1kw is not alot of power.
Has anybody installed or looked at this system. I would like to get some options before I jump.

Cheers
Chris

martinjsto

Posted: 12:02pm 27 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi cb365,
there seems to be different systems in each state, a friend of mine just installed a 1kw system in his house in Perth WA after qualifying for the $8000 rebate.
i am not to sure what company he used but the panels were German made and apparently the best on the market, they are very slim with no glass and very strong. there were 5 panels used for the 1kw system and he had a 2kw inverter installed for future upgrades.
one of the issues is that the system dosnt incorporate batteries, so if a power cut happens he also looses his power????, strange that as he is the one producing the power and you would think your needs would be 1st priority and the excess put into the grid. i advised him to sever his mains connection with an axe and go it alone lolol.

i think you have to wait 5 yrs b4 you can remove the system or modify it, the other thing is that the power you produce is subtracted from the power you consume, any excess is then credited to you, but you are effectively paying the premium rate for the difference.
i think the rebate scheme has a long way to go to make if viable to most people and of course if you earn $100k or more then you don't qualify, the people who can most afford the system cannot qualify for the grant, a bit silly i think.
i am by no means an expert and welcome being corrected on these things, i too am learning as i go.
i have my own independent system on my block and it powers out shed that we stay in when visiting.
good luck
martin

free power for all
McAlinden WA

petanque don

Posted: 05:46am 28 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

From a purely economic point of view the present value of a perpetuity = the annual rent (income or money saved) divided by the interest rate

So if you save $300 per year and the interest rate is 10% the present value of the activity is $3,000

If you can get $3,000 benefit from spending $2,000 you have a good deal

This assumes you will be at the address for a long time.

How a solar system changes the price of a house I am uncertain.

If having a solar system on the roof gives you other benefits (such as a warm fuzzy feeling) is a personal thing.

Windy and Solar

Posted: 08:33am 19 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very lucky here in NZ we get nothing except $1000. for Solar hot water.

mward

Posted: 06:05am 19 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I recently bought both Solar Power and Solar Hot Water. Got a great deal on both - $3k for the Solar Power and $2,200 for Solar Hot Water - this is my installed price. Overall I am really happy with the products and installations - though Solar Power takes some time to get through the AGO rebate process. Went with Earth Utility - very happy with my Solar Hot Water system achieved a 40% reduction in last quarters energy bill, this was higher than what they advised me.
michelle ward

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 09:13am 25 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

solar hot water (WITH EVACUATED TUBES)has caused me all kinds of grief. I have a 20 tube system facing north-east as opposed to dead north.
Water boils in the 210L tank regularly.
Solution was to connect the dishwasher to hot water supply to use up another 40L of hot water every other day.
I fitted a tempering valve and even 60c is pretty hot.
I installed one for my sister too, it faces dead west, she too has boiling problems in summer.
Provides at least 50% in winter and 150% of our requirements in summer.
Basically couldnt be happier!
I connected it to a traditional gas fired unit and turn the gas on for a handful of days each year all up cost was about $1600.
Luck favours the well prepared

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024