Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:13 30 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : PV Over Voltage Limiter

Page 3 of 3    
Technophiliac

Posted: 09:23am 22 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Solar Mike said  
For the larger multi KW 200 volt arrays, have decided to build something to allow diversion of power into a hot water cylinder element, when the PV controller starts throttling back as batteries charge up, the diverter device will seamlessly load up the PV, converting DC into a 50Hz AC square wave to supply the element; will post a new topic on this soon.

Cheers
Mike

I agree we need to explore alternative ways of applying intermittent alternative energy to heating devices including water. Kudos to you!

Square wave output. Interesting. The merit of this seems obvious (given a flatish DC input (in milli-second terms) intuitively for me (and maybe this is why you are doing it?) will give a nice smooth transition of energy).

Been pondering this. Gotta ask. How will heating elements specified for sine waves go driven by square waves - and will a corresponding reduction in voltage be necessary to accommodate the otherwise additional energy present by virtue of the greater area under the square waves "curve"....(!)? I guess heating elements will have a wide energy tolerance but it seems to me there could be an issue there?
Davo, Wellington. You can have it perfect, on time, and at the best price. Choose any two.

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 11:01am 22 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Technophiliac said  .. Been pondering this. Gotta ask. How will heating elements specified for sine waves go driven by square waves - and will a corresponding reduction in voltage be necessary to accommodate the otherwise additional energy present by virtue of the greater area under the square waves "curve"....(!)? I guess heating elements will have a wide energy tolerance but it seems to me there could be an issue there?

Sinusoidal AC power into a resistive load is effectively RMS or average power, happens to be identical to DC power of Amps x Volts; so to answer your question, there is no difference between the two.

Cheers
Mike

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024