Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:20 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : AGM batteries series parallel thoughts.

Page 4 of 4    
bob.steel

Posted: 09:20am 14 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

noneyabussiness said  please listen to this old mate, the other people that have years of PRACTICAL experience are wrong... this blokes on facebook so must be ligit..

bob, if you want to use / promote lithium, best practice is not insult well respected members of a forum with information that contradicts even manufacturer claims, insulting people's intelligence in the process.. lithium has its place,  and many on here have used / use and thoughly tested them, many have even documented how they had preformed.. dare I say most have moved BACK to fla for ease and life expectancy as, has been stated several times , is a much more forgiving chemical and when its your ONLY source of power that is far more important when something goes wrong (and it WILL)... however if you / anyone wishes to use lithium for a stationary off grid system,  go hard , in fact I'm pretty sure I speak for most when I say document it and post it up...

but, as I say again, the people you keep saying are wrong have built up a reputation on here for being both honest and experienced with what this forum stands for solar/electronics etc..

oh and a side note, to think that china will only sell you stuff ( be it anything) because its the " only way to sell it legally " is a incredibly naive statement,  again practical experience will tell you,  many would sell your grandmother if it made them a buck, just like ANY country.. heck, how would a lowly AFP official / china customs official know that these cells were legally aquired in the manna you described ?? how many low grade cells fall off the proverbial " back of the truck " and end up here .. there are literally hundreds of threads in various forums testing various brands of batteries because soooo many dodgy ones end up everywhere..

See you just don't get it do you . You won't read properly or completely you just gloss over . When people are wrong they are just wrong . There is a video on utube about the origins and patents applying to China and I'll just tell you again , YOU CAN NOT BUY NEW LITHIUM BATTERIES FROM CHINA LEGALLY . They have patent agreements with USA and japan . So you are ignorant of that fact but post the rubbish anyway.

The patents are about to run out and Tesla is building huge factories in China to switch their batteries to LFP. Thats why they have not used them in their cars until only recently .

Don't believe me search !

I'm not running members down , I'm pointing out that your knowledge on LFP is severely lacking . If you don't like that ,dont read it but dont post ignorant comments assuming you are right . You are not . I research scientifically everything I have said here and ts proven and correct. Go look at the pictures and posts on the facebook page if in doubt . The research papers are there too.

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 10:06am 14 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

no... no I don't,  but I'm seriously thinking I'm not the one " not getting it " cause you are running RESPECTED members down with clear mis-information.. why NO ONE has responded favorably to you, some have partly out of respect, but that shows their personality more than yours..

lol, yeah cause china has always respected patents..never copied or mis-represented products as their own... sure... i know i know, youboob said its how it is so it must be right.... right...

I have searched,  also asked respected / knowledgeable people.. and also EXPERIENCED,  and come to my own conclusions based on above.. all completely different to the rubbish you continue to tout.. but if you wish to believe it / push it then go right ahead.. but to continue to knock other respected members on here will just get you shouted down / ignored.. yes they are not perfect,  and im sure if ANY were so completely " wrong " as you have pushed then they would have respectfully accepted that, but funny, non have..

oh and as others have done, everything I've personally posted on this subject has been through experience over the last 10 + years(others wayyyyy longer and wayyy more experienced, but i digress), yes I do make mistakes ( as im sure others have) but I LEARN from them and continue on and If i can help someone with those said mistakes then great, if thst person isn't interested then good one em ..  so if its " wrong " then i must be seriously missing something.. but hey, again you want to use lithium for your system, go hard son...
I think it works !!

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 01:22pm 14 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bob.steel said  
See you just don't get it do you .

The one who does not get it is YOU.
No one here cares anymore about what you say or if Lithium are the best batteries in the world or not.

Your obsessive, abusive ranting about  is not a sign of a healthy mind or an objective disposition.

They are batteries and even if you do have some sort of vested interest in selling them or similar, your fixation with trying to convert everyone to the same cult like worshippoing for them as you have is not convincing anyone.

Please Just go away back to your farce book page.
Your behavior is becoming disturbing as well as boring.

mab1

Posted: 06:10pm 14 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bob, if i can try for some constructive criticism:-

You may know a lot about lfp - and i and others would be interested in your knowledge of repair/recovery/real world lifespan/etc, but you might be better off starting your own topic and posting your findings and knowledge there. As we all have some lithium batteries in tools/ phones etc such knowledge is useful.

You do however demonstrate a lack of knowledge / experience about lead acid, and would be better off simply focusing on what you have learned about lfp, rather than quoting the inaccurate claims /exaggerations about lead acid commonly found in lithium battery sales pitch.

Many of us have 1st hand experience of lead acid stretching back decades, and most of us have considered lithium and have consequently kept an eye on pricing - the best prices i personally have seen are for pylontec here in the UK and - so far - people who have them have been pleased with their reliability and longevity ( but it's still early days for the latter), but lead still works out cheaper* even without the cash value of scrap lead, and for me, a better choice**

* i have to discount you argument about only needing 25% Ah with lithium - whilst an off-gridder might try to keep dod to <30%, having the option to go to 50% occasionally, plus the security of having another 50% in reserve (what if the genny won't start? What if you're snowed in and can't get a new part to fix the genny 'til the road's clear?) Is common sense if you're really off the grid.

**we all do this for different reasons, I'm  here for reasons of minimising my environmental impact - and one of the factors in my choice of lead acid is that the recycling industry for lead acid is already in place and achieves a real world figure of 97% recycled for lead acid batteries; I've yet to hear of even speculative figures for recycling lithium batteries.

bob.steel

Posted: 07:07pm 14 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Like it is said . "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink . "
Those who have their mouths open tend not to be able to listen at the same time I have found and the lack of willingness to even inform yourself of the facts astounds me. Simple searches would do the job.

I gave up Lead acid because every time I went to start something the bloody battery was dead if it was older than 3 years . My tractors ,my boat,my car ,my home solar,my water pump.

Especially anything on the farm that I only used spasmodically. If it sits for a month it was buggered .

Now in all those I have Lithium batteries doing the same job without modifications and all working every time for now . I will let you know how it is in 10 years time.
Edited 2022-02-15 05:14 by bob.steel

mab1

Posted: 02:05am 15 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bob.steel said  Like it is said . "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink . "
Those who have their mouths open tend not to be able to listen at the same time I have found and the lack of willingness to even inform yourself of the facts astounds me. Simple searches would do the job.

you do seem to be talking about yourself here  

Quote  I gave up Lead acid because every time I went to start something the bloody battery was dead if it was older than 3 years . My tractors ,my boat,my car ,my home solar,my water pump.

Especially anything on the farm that I only used spasmodically. If it sits for a month it was buggered .

I rest my case:- my last car battery was still going at 10 years when the car was written off; the tractor  battery (2nd hand) is at least 12 years old and can go 6 months between startups - still works fine even in midwinter; my offgrid agm battery was bought 2nd hand in 2005 - still going. I guess the problem you have with lead acid are lack of knowledge of how to maintain them.

Quote   Now in all those I have Lithium batteries doing the same job without modifications and all working every time for now . I will let you know how it is in 10 years time.

No- one is suggesting lithium don't work - but have you had them going 10years yet? No? Then I'll wait til you've proved them before i replace my 12 +yr tractor battery,  or my 17 + yr old house battery.

bob.steel

Posted: 02:46am 15 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mab1 -You just want to spoil things for other members of the forum . You don't speak for them and I wish you would shove it where the sun dont shine sunshine. You are full of bullsh*t and you know it ,trying to justify Lead acid . Thats just garbage .

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 02:54am 15 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Look in the mirror Bob.
That is where all the bullsh*t is coming from.
Cheers,  Tony.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:58am 15 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Enough.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

bob.steel

Posted: 03:07am 15 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  Look in the mirror Bob.
That is where all the bullsh*t is coming from.

Now Tony . I figured you for a far more sensible fellow than that. I've followed a lot of your work on here .

Ive been working on Lithium batteries since 1991 at James Cook Uni in QLD Australia.
Iv'e gotta say i know my stuff with Lithium.

Its a shame I can't get to impart my knowledge to you but obviously the frustration of not getting through to the deadheads leaves me disappointed .

Et tu Brutus.  Shame

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:32am 15 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have disabled some members accounts to give them a chance to cool down. When I say enough, it means enough.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

pd--

Posted: 10:36am 16 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Winston Lithium have been good for me so far  6+ years and 27mw of energy out
Photo is from before my swap to Batrium bms

The console for the house power system

The best thing about the lithium's is that you can just fill them up quickly
and in winter you do not need to worry about having them at partial charge for extended periods of time

bob.steel

Posted: 08:57pm 16 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

pd-- said  Winston Lithium have been good for me so far  6+ years and 27mw of energy out
Photo is from before my swap to Batrium bms
The console for the house power system
The best thing about the lithium's is that you can just fill them up quickly
and in winter you do not need to worry about having them at partial charge for extended periods of time

Thats pretty good stuff hey!
Similar reports from Boaters with 8 years up and 90% capacity at least left.
Are the first sensors A123?

pd--

Posted: 02:47am 17 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ev-power Perth Australia

https://www.ev-power.com.au/lithium-bms/

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 08:22am 17 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pd
What is the difference in balance current between the original balance boards and the new  Batrium bms boards?
I know a Daly BMS will balance 20 or 30ma depending on which manual is available to read, for the first year this has been adequate (Average voltage 3.387 Differential voltage 0.046v Balance active only while charging), but later it will not be enough, all I have read about them is the will need more as they get older, bit too difficult to judge when and how much because all battery manufactures would be somewhat different as expected.

Voltage sag under load is minimal I guess.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

pd--

Posted: 11:00am 17 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The original evpower units where rated at 2A, typically they would shunt 1.5a
https://www.ev-power.com.au/product/bms-cbm400/
There an analog unit so at 3.5v ( 3.6v for the older units) the shunt transistor starts conducting and at 3.7 to 3.8 V they would be shunting ~1.5A

The Batrium units are rated at 1.98 A
The Bypass current is programmable i have my modules set on 1A and have added heat sinks to the modules to increase there reliability
you would need forced cooling to run them at higher amps and keep them reliable.

They support a number of different balancing strategies.
my current setup is as follows

if battery is charging and charge amps < 45a and SOC > 99.5 and cell voltage > 3.35v and cell voltage difference >  0.02v then enable balancing.

Time will tell if this needs tweaking , but there is ample balancing capacity left.
my forced cooling setup is nearly finished , it is activated by the temperature of the bypass modules

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 12:28pm 17 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's a much higher current than I was expecting, it should easily accommodate for future cell differences in future use.
I just checked some settings on the one here (common port type), balance start at 3.2v balance differential at 0.05v  
Thanks, this is very helpful.  
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 12:24pm 30 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Possibly another option for keeping some batteries balanced.
 https://mppsolar.com.au/product/maxxcell-battery-balancer-t2/
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Page 4 of 4    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024