Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:26 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : solar feed in tarrif queston

Page 1 of 2    
rgormley

Posted: 11:28am 28 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

can someone please explain how the vic gov 60 cent feed in tarrif works? as against what orogin say on the web site

The origin website shows.....

Victoria
Origin's FIT rate for net metered small scale renewable energy installations (solar electricity, wind, biomass and micro-hydro) is 21c/kWh (Export Tariff 5) for customers consuming less than 160 MWh pa with systems up to 8 kW in capacity. Origin offers FITs for customers consuming less than 160 MWh pa with systems up to 100 kW in capacity, for further information please view the Victorian feed-in tariff information.

For customers consuming more than 160 MWh per annum, Origin will negotiate an agreement for an eligible rate for the customer's supply address. For Government information about FITs including the proposed 60 cents/kWh Premium FIT for residential customers with net metered solar electricity systems up to 2 kW in capacity visit the Department of Primary Industries Feed-in Tariffs web site.

michael

Posted: 01:36am 01 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

the 60 cent feed in for victoria has not started yet as far as I know, nor is a start date lodged formally yet from when I asked a while ago.
New smart meters are meant to be installed mid year which will also assist solar, but no one can give you a date exactly for that either.
I rang origin a month ago, no help.
AGL I was told offer a gross feed in rate though according to their website, but I do not know their use rate which may be higher than Origin.
cheers

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 11:32pm 07 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

here's the doc for the type 5 meters I'm sure everyone is interested in this, basically save us $4-500 in the cost of installing your solar/wind grid connect system as you wont need to pay for the meter install as it will be done already. All depends on what you have/use now as to when they must install the fancy meter could be a few years away in the worst case

Cheers2009-03-08_093433_IMRO_FinalDecisionFinal9July04.pdfEdited by KarlJ 2009-03-09
Luck favours the well prepared

michael

Posted: 11:32pm 08 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thanks KarlJ for the information,
my brother gets his solar grid installed next month sometime and a few weeks later via citipower a new electricity meter. (bi directional digital I assume)
It seems to be that the companies are still installing bi directional digital meters. at a cost of $270 in melbourne.
From reading your the document you posted, the new type 5 smart meters have been installed in large buisness since 2008. If this is so, why have the Electricity Companies like Citipower still installing bi directional meters which will be removed in the next few years anyway.
Should he try to request a smart meter or type 5 meter ??
thanks for the help anyone who is in the know. ?

michael

Posted: 11:36pm 08 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One last thing,
can type 5 or smart meters be easily switched from NETT metering or GROSS metering in the future. Is it a setting or a physical wiring needing to take place,
Victoria is net meter but in the next few years may change to Gross meter, and I wonder do the Electric companies have to come adjust the smart meters again or is it a remote setting being that the meters are wireless. ??

GWatPE

Posted: 12:38am 09 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gross metering will probably require a separate meter, or at least a separate connection in the meter. Net metering uses a single sensing element and time of day. Gross metering would need another sensing element, like the offpeak sensing in normal meters.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 06:01am 13 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

type 5 = smart meter same thing.
god knows why anyone would install the old type.

Power company gives it to you free. Just costs for the truck and sparky to fit. -obviously later they will have to fork out for truck and sparky too.

I have not seen an actual schematic of connections for a smart meter but i know they have more than a few smarts!

I believe they do have a separate output for off peak connection only that can be enabled as a boost function on-peak.

as its pretty smart stands to reason that this could be configured to take power from the array but I'm only guessing.

all billing aka meter reading is done remotely and there are lots of functions on/off for example that can be done remotely too.

looks like its getting harder to grow whackey tobacco as they are going to use software that "looks" for the type of light running progam times that people use.

Karl
Luck favours the well prepared

michael

Posted: 08:10am 13 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

www.energy.com.au/internet/pdfs/CIA1228.pdf

see this link Karl J

this is the type 5 smart meter schematic
does this help ??
cheers michael

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:51am 23 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Repost of missing posts

rgormley wrote.....

did the max cap just recently change??
have a look here.

http://www.energymatters.com.au/government-rebates/feedintar iff.php

does this now say the max premium FIT has bee INCREASED to 3.2 kw???

rgormley also wrote.....

look like it has increased!!

http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/premier/victorian-government-t o-fund-new-solar-power-station.html

half way down...
Mr Batchelor said the feed-in tariff scheme was about increasing the number of Victorian households with solar panels by making them more affordable.

“Under the Bill, Victorian households with solar PV systems will be eligible to receive a credit of 60 cents per kilowatt for energy they feed back into the grid,” he said.

“The premium feed-in tariff scheme is capped at 3.2kW, which is about the maximum size system for a large house.

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Zank

Posted: 01:41am 31 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please note that 60 cents credit per kw is just that... credit.

You will not be paid a Single Cent

Its a crazy world.
What goes around ....

rgormley

Posted: 08:46am 31 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i read somewhere in the fine print of one of the suppliers that after one year if there was a build up of credit they would pay out the amount via a cheque but at there "discretion"

the example they gave was if the owner had gone OS for a 6 months or such and had built up a large credit.

i will try to dig the info up and post here

GWatPE

Posted: 11:40am 31 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Zank said   Please note that 60 cents credit per kw is just that... credit.

You will not be paid a Single Cent

This is rubbish!

The credit I have accumulated has been paid by cheque by my electricity biling company. I have already been paid over $500. I am estimating over $1000 pa. I am planning to increase my solar array as well.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

rgormley

Posted: 12:25pm 31 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yep just got of the phone to origin

they (he being andrew at origin solar) said that if any origin account goes into positive credit by a minimum of $50 we can request a cheque to be sent out.

ALSO i have read they (origin) will and do send out cheques automatily at the end of the year if an account is in positive credit (but at there discretion)
(eg went overseas fo ra year, and clocked up credits)

SO yup we can get paid for making electricity
assuming we actually make more than we use

now for me to find out where the hell my 19.3kwh is going every day....

Zank

Posted: 04:51pm 31 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry fellas

I should have noted that in Victoria you may be credited 60c per kw. Capped at 2kw!!!
I may be hearing/reading this wrong but a friend who works in renewable sector told me that energy suppliers are not obliged to pay a credit and that it can only amount to $1.20 a day.
Tell me why don't we have a system such as SA or the ACT. Surely these states will have a much greater renewable uptake. (Why doesn't the government want this???)

Am I correct? (I hope not!!)    Edited by Zank 2009-04-02
What goes around ....

rgormley

Posted: 04:58pm 31 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"not obliged to pay a credit"

not obliged but WILL pay out if asked (well acording to the nice man at origin solar)

as for the 2kw cap hhhmmmm nope! 3.2 kw now....

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/dpinenergy.nsf/LinkView/47D19C 1C08345367CA25736A001FCDF7866B51F390263BA1CA2572B2001634F9

"Households with solar PV systems up to 3.2kW in size, will be eligible to receive a credit of 60 cents per kilowatt hour for energy they feed back into the grid."
Edited by rgormley 2009-04-02

Zank

Posted: 05:50pm 31 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks rgormley

Read through the above web link, it is a bit clearer now.
(Try   http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/dpinener gy ) and go to feed in tariff.

Quote from DPI

"The premium feed-in tariff is credited against a customer’s electricity bill, by their electricity retailer, with credit accruing for a maximum of 12 months. A household installing an average sized system (1.5 kilowatt) is expected use the credits to offset its power bills within the 12 month period."

Still the best you could hope to get back would be $10/day. Much less if you have a system greater than 3.2kw.

I guess that this is acceptable to the majority that will only purchase a 1kw system to offset their power bill.

Not good for anyone considering a medium sized solar/wind farm.Edited by Zank 2009-04-02
What goes around ....

GWatPE

Posted: 08:03pm 31 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In SA, the gov will pay 44c/kWhr on solar installed systems export rate, up to a 10kW system 1phase, or 30kW 3phase. This amounts to approx average 6kWhr/day per kW installed, or $79.20 average per day. Many SA riverland farmers have opted for this. If the power bill provider has additional buyback rates in place, like TRU, then this could amount to an average $115.20 per day, $800 / week... something to think about.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

Zank

Posted: 11:13pm 31 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Any cheap land over there Gordon ???
What goes around ....

rgormley

Posted: 12:55am 01 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Still the best you could hope to get back would be $10/day. Much less if you have a system greater than 3.2kw.

how did you get a $10 figure?

Zank

Posted: 02:13am 01 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

3.2kw x 5hrs average sun = 16kw hrs x 60cents = $9.60

Any system between 3.2kw and 100kw is paid on standard feed-in tariff rate, which is market rate ie. 15-20 cents per kwh ?????)

Not a good return on capital for a medium to large setup. Not in Vic anyway.

What goes around ....

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024