Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:37 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Crap LiFePO4 cells bought from shonky seller on Ali

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 06:09am 18 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It was a while back when I bought some cells from Aliexpress, found problems straight away, despite much testing and proof that there was some faulty cells they still refused to admit it.
Not going to go into details about all of it now as I'm done with all that.

I will just show what was going on and why, the cell would show voltage but would not discharge the voltage would drop to zero (open circuit) when connecting the inverter.

I removed the cell and tried to charge it separately from the others, it would take current for a moment then go open circuit, put a lot of weight on the terminal and it would start again.
I only recently got hold of a little endoscope camera so I thought I would check inside the cell

Sorry about the small photos, the camera was only 640X480 and had a agle mirror on the end made it worse.
The square aluminium block is the battery terminal going through the plastic top, photos are upside down.
The little plate should be holding the battery plate to the terminal, not sitting there on holiday.

You can see the plates are barely touching the terminal, any wonder it don't F n work.

Hey there's a washer!!!

Oh look, a NUT FFS.

The terminal at the other end with copper plates, can see some threaded rod.

The rest of the cells are working ever since after replacing 3 that were like this.
Well I learned my lesson, don't buy cells from Ali.
I have these batteries in the shed running most days and sometimes they power the house, so I'm getting use out of them.
They are getting out of balance more often lately so will have to make some changes, more on that later.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 07:26am 18 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow Aaron, they seem more like garbage fake copies and less like lower grade factory rejects, but as I haven't seen many of this type up close I may be way off the mark.

Thanks for sharing.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 11:40am 18 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

They are very heavy cells compared to the new blue metal case cells.
I was trying to work out how they assembled them, the terminals appear to be moulded into the top, the top is welded to the outer case, Perhaps they lowered the plates and the top assembled into the case like it was done with some FLA batteries.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 09:41pm 18 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh that makes more sense now. I seem to recall seeing a post and a picture on another forum showing a similar problem. Was a few years ago though.

BTW thanks for the Scanner app on my thread, the cells appear to be real EVE cells
Edited 2023-12-19 10:17 by KeepIS
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024