Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:55 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Proposed Solar Farm????????? Real or not?

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 08:41am 13 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I received a notice today about Proposed Solar Farm that is Large scale about 1GW solar and battery in my area, I have not heard of this before now, it apparently is going on good farming land, and if it were I think it is that just a few km's from were I live and it is mostly good farming land here.
There are other places with crappy ground that could be used for solar instead.

There is a few things that I'm not sure about, I have not heard of this company before, it's not listed in the solar projects in Wiki, looking on Google Doesn't tell us much, no mention of local government approval that I can find and a few other things that look a bit fishy.

Not sure if this lot is legitimate, anyone have a idea on how to find out, or have any thoughts?
This is the mob, https://www.libraenergy.co/index.php/about-us
A Quote from the page "In Australia, we have setup Libra Energy Pty Ltd. This company owns 100% of our 1GW solar farm near Ipswich in Queensland."
Who owns what?

There is other info on the notice that says it spans about 1342 acres and that's just stage 1 But cant confirm were that information come from.
"Code Assessable"I looked up the meaning of it.
There are other Questionable solar project's going on in other places as well, do the residents in those places know if they have bee screwed

Notice to Forum Admin, if this is political or is wrong to post this, please delete it.
Edited 2024-02-14 00:14 by Revlac
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 10:46pm 13 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If I made a comment about using quality fertile farmland for this utter nonsense, it would likely be deleted, and possibly your post with it, so I won't.

It's all too hard.
Mike.

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 06:12am 14 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I do think a lot of solar farms run livestock of some sort so the area is still farmed. Something has to be done about the grass / weeds growing. Risky running a mower between the rows of panels.

I know Gizmo Glenn doesn't like discussions the other type of of renewable energy normally planted on hilltops.

Brian
ChopperP

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 06:56am 14 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes that is true for some, seems like some are not doing that though.

I have to agree with Gizmo on that.

Don't forget oceans  
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 08:52am 14 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When they build over good farm land you will never get it back, it just expands.
I went past the possible location today, its next to the big overhead powerlines and proposed inland rail..still cant confirm this.

There are quite a few large solar panel installations here already, some are offgrid and are close to a house or shed on grounds appropriate for it, the one down the road is a full tracking system and they do run sheep under the panels at times, most of the other large ones are ground mount, but you can't (shouldn't) run cattle near the panels, seen a few bent and broken panels, don't know how that happened and didn't ask, but I have seen a cow lift the back end of a car off the ground easily, must have been itchy between the horns or something.

I'm all for solar but not at the expense of ruining places, there could be many other sites like the old open cut mines towards Ipswich.
In this area we already had to fight off a large open cut coal mine, and several other large devastating projects, cant win them all.
We have quite a bit of solar in this area 4340 according Here is a Quote from a solar company.
  Quote  There are approximately 2,297 dwellings in the 4340 area, so that calculates out at 71 solar panel systems per 100 dwellings - the Australian average is 36.

This probably Doesn't include the Offgrid installations either, I think we have done our bit.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 10:37am 19 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well it looks like it is legitimate, its part of a large group, so will see what pans out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libra_Group

My personal thoughts on this.......Perhaps they will use this solar farm to offset the carbon footprint of their other business's, possibly many others are doing this as well. in for profit
Just quietly think what this could mean.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024