Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:16 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Advice on Solar in S.A

mrbug

Posted: 06:38am 26 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All

My local council has just entered into a group buying scheme for grid connected solar power system which appears to deliver a considerable discount. However being a cynical suspicious type I thought I would do some research and pick the collective brains of people more experienced than myself when it comes to solar.

The company that has been selected to provide and install the system is called Zen Home Energy Systems. Has anyone had any experience dealing with them?
All their components (panels, Inverter and monitor) are branded Zen which makes it a bit difficult to work out what i am actualy looking at but I have been told that the panels are 175 watt panels from a Chinese manufacturer called T&E Solar. Has anyone had any problems with chinese panels?

Any advice will be gratefully accepted Edited by mrbug 2009-04-27

michael

Posted: 07:45am 26 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Zen has no inverters approved by the Government, which need approval before being fitted to Grid and to get solar grant.
Unless the government has not updated their information, but as off last week it was correct. No ZEN !!

GWatPE

Posted: 10:38am 26 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There have been articles in the Adelaide Advertiser and Fleurieu Times on this.

Gordon.

PS edit:

I have looked at the pictures in the Times, and the Zen Co appear to be just using SMA type inverters. These have approval.Edited by GWatPE 2009-04-28
become more energy aware

mrbug

Posted: 10:07am 27 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Gordon and Michael.

It looks like the Inverter wont be problem as far as the rebate goes.

Does anyone have any advice about the panels. I have been told to be wary of cheap chinese imports as they are an unknown quantity in terms of the quality of the materials and workmanship. The panels are from ET Solar whos website states they have been producing panels in china since 2007.

I am very knew to all this so I want to research as much as possible before making a large financial commitment. I am planning on installing a 3000 watt system which should meet most of our electricity demands.

petanque don

Posted: 04:28am 28 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The rebate would be the same if you have a 1 Kw system or a 3 Kw system

Do you really need such a large system?

There would need to be a large cost reduction before solar systems give a good return with no subsidies.

Jus because you get 1 Kw now doesn’t mean you can’t get more later on.

Bolty

Posted: 01:59pm 30 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi MrBug

I am interested in knowing if you are in Fleurieu peninsula, as Zen has just won the contract for the Victor Harbor Council coordinated solar scheme. I am in Victor Harbor and have applied for the scheme!

mrbug

Posted: 07:06am 01 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bolty

yes I am in Fleurieu (Goolwa). I have looked at all the major suppliers operating in S.A and i havent found anyone who can match Zen price through the Victor Councils solar scheme. I have since spoken to interstate councils that have run similar bulk buy schemes with Zen Home Energy Systems and they have only positive responses as far as the service that their residents have recieved.

Cheers

GWatPE

Posted: 09:12am 01 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi MrBug,

I would use the solar insolation levels for Melbourne, rather than those for Adelaide in any calcs of returns etc. I am down the road, you probably drive past my place a bit. I have recorded approx 20% down from Adelaide data, for the years since 2006.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Bolty

Posted: 12:45pm 01 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello again MrBug.

The Fleurieu scheme looks pretty good to me. I was of the opinion that hardware approved for the Federal Government rebate was subject to standards approval by the BCSE. Here is a link that may help
http://www.bcse.org.au/default.asp?id=233

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024