Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:50 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Possible??? solar power kids water slide

poorman

Posted: 11:51pm 26 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am new to the forum and new to solar/wind/hydro power I am just starting to collect the necessary componants to build my own solar/wind system which after doing some research looking into my available funds and what I have laying about. I have come to the conclusion that this is going to take a while and some money which I am ok with. Anyways I am itching like crazy to start on something and think I have come up with a project that can satisfy my urge to make my own energy but I am a little brain baked as to how many solar cells I need to power an air blower for a childrens water slide. Can anyone give advice or explain in moronic terms how to calculate how much power I need to produce? 120V~,60Hz, 6.0A, 680W. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Do not worry about your difficulties in mathmatics. I can assure you mine are still greater..... Albert Einstein.

Robb

Posted: 12:07am 27 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Presuming panels are about $8 to $10 per watt and you need an inverter have you got a spare $6000 to $8000 or so?

One the up side you won't be using it when its cold overcast and raining.

Something less power hungry like lighting or radios etc would be a nice cheap starting project.

Now if you do spend that cash on panels just think what you could do with them when the kids aren't playing Edited by Robb 2009-05-28

poorman

Posted: 01:00am 27 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I do have the money to spend and likely will over the next few monthes. I have plenty of time to spare and access to just about every tool I could ever need. I work on a drilling rig (access to all kinds of dc motors, scrap metal loose wires etc.)I only work 6 monthes a year and on my days off I help a welder friend of mine who has a shop that is to die for! He is also an exp. electrician but is so busy he doesnt have enough free time to help but has no issues with me using the shop. Really the only problem I have is knowledge like I dont understand what makes my air blower power hungry????? And as much as I have researched I cant seem to figure how much power I need to power specific things. I have come across plenty of average figures for houses and am ok there but I am not sure how to figure for smaller items for example I built my kids a treehouse from scrap lumber, doors,car parts etc. (recycling in its purest form....my humble opinion)I have to run a power cord from the house to the treehouse to operate fans to keep my babies cool in 95 to 115 degree summers and would love to add lights so they can camp out on beautifull summer nights but I dont want to pay an arm and a leg for the juice to power everything. how can I figure up how much power I need how big a battery bank to use etc. I know this is going to take some time and research I just need a shove in the right direction that includes electricity for dummies really just need laymans terms.
Do not worry about your difficulties in mathmatics. I can assure you mine are still greater..... Albert Einstein.

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 02:22pm 27 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poorman, you mentioned in your first post how much power you want: 680W (Watts). Now, Watts equals Volts times Amps when you deal with batteries. So, pick a battery bank voltage, divide that into your Watts (680 / X)and you got the Amps the battery bank has to provide to the inverter which, in turn, powers your slide at mains voltage.
There are losses involved so you always need to put in more Ah (Amps over time) than you take out of the battery.

A little googling will get you all the basic electricity info you want, you don't really want me to get sore fingers typing it all out again for you?

P.S. Do read the part where it says that mains voltage can kill, please don't mess with it until you are *absolutely* sure you know what you are doing.
Klaus

poorman

Posted: 06:53pm 27 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the "shove" in the right direction. Its refreshing to find a forum like this where I can ask dumb questions and get simple answers. As for the self induced electroshock therapy I have every intention of having my electrician/welder friend right there holding my hand through all aspects of hooking up any juice. While I will be doing all the work he will be standing by with instructions and a big wooden stick!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024