Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:56 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Wanted - anemometer that works sometimes.

Page 1 of 2    
neil0mac

Posted: 09:23pm 08 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Does anyone know of an anemometer that only works in 'moderate' breezes and above?

I am interested because I don't need to know when every puff of wind that passes by. I would be interested to know when it is around 40KPH and VERY interested in wind speeds over, say, 50KPH. These only occur about 15 days a year where I am.

The only way of achieving something like that is to butcher the standard cups on a conventional anemometer by removing a portion of the middle of them (the back of the cup) so they catch less air.

Obviously such modifications would require a re-calibration.
Edited by neil0mac 2010-04-10

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:15am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Neil,

I did try to use the motor out of a HDD to generate the pulses for an aneomometer and it requires over 6 KPH to start turning.

With smaller cups this startup wind speed would increase.
Maybe a small stepper motor would have enough cogging effect to be able to be set up for high wind startup.

It would take some trial and error testing with different spoke sizes and cup sizes to dial into your required starting speed.
I can see a few trips in the car with it held out the window to get it setup.

The other thought is a cooling fan out of a pc with the electronics removed and just the 3 phase motor remaining.

Some time back you asked "What do a picaxe do and what do you use them for" well heres a good example of what you could use one for.....an aneomometer.

The other way that you could read high wind speed is with a pressure sensor.

It sounds like you just want a high wind indicator and not to monitor the wind so what about a weighted paddle and a reed switch.
When the paddle tilts it releases the reed switch. ( or a bit like the govoner on a victor lawn mower)

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 02:16am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Neil ,,, most of the units have a cut-in alarm that beeps or signals you when a certain wind speed is reached. sort of flashes on and off on the screen..

Mine is a "davis" very expensive when I got it 15 years ago , $660. Today the same unit can be got for $100. or less, but not that brand. National Geographic has lots of them .

Bye the way ,,my battery back up warning has been flashing for 10 years ,nothing I can do stops it . It's on a plug pack . Distributor didn't respond to my e-mail 10 years ago ,strange that..

Hope this helps

Bruce
Bushboy

neil0mac

Posted: 04:22am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Downwind said   what about a weighted paddle and a reed switch.

Not omni-directional?

neil0mac

Posted: 04:25am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

brucedownunder2 said   the units have a cut-in alarm that beeps or signals you when a certain wind speed is reached.

Audio and visual warnings are no use if I'm 20Km away from them.

Sorry. OP not clearly stated! I want the tracker to know when the wind speed is reched.Edited by neil0mac 2010-04-10

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 04:26am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you put a tail on it like a wind vain it will be.

Pete
Sometimes it just works

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 04:29am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Perhaps if you tell us just what it is you want to do we can stop second guessing and all be on the same page.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

neil0mac

Posted: 04:59am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Downwind said   Perhaps if you tell us just what it is you want to do we can stop second guessing and all be on the same page.

Pete.

First line of OP.

Does anyone know of an anemometer that ONLY works in 'moderate' breezes and above?

Only needs to kick in about 15 times a year!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:47am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Are you basically just after a switch? A device that will let you know if the wind speed reaches a preset level? You dont need to know how much faster the wind is, just that it was this fast.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:58am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

adrock

Posted: 06:02am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guys,

In regards to the OP's question:
No. Nobody makes an anemometer that only 'works' (i.e., outputs a signal) for a certain wind speed or above.

You'll need to take an anemometer, which just outputs a signal proportional to speed, and add some processing/control.

What are you interfacing with? What are you trying to achieve with an anemometer that only works 'sometimes'? As some posters have suggested maybe you don't need an anemometer specifically.

First post - hi forum.

Adam.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:05am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Adam, welcome to the site.
JAQ

Loomberah

Posted: 06:14am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, you dont actually want an anemometer, which measures speed. You want a wind switch, like the one I use on my big array, or an electronic switch that counts pulses/measures voltage from a turbine/windcup of some sort. A picaxe will do that easily.Edited by Loomberah 2010-04-10
Loomberah weather +solar&UV, astronomy, photography, organic farm

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 06:22am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dunno what to say,, so, you want the cups to not turn til a strong gust hits ? WHY ? with mine you can set the "gale" point and then have it signalled 10000Km to your home ,just need the "add on's" .

Mine will tell if your water tank is low ,the river is coming up ,the temp is hot,hot,hot ,,,things like that .,from thousands of k's away by telstra or internet,.

But no , I really don't think you can get one that just starts up when a force 5 cyclone hits..but then ,I'm old.

Bruce.
Bushboy

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 06:49am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes Neil i did read the first line of your OP.

What i was asking is what the hell is it you are trying to control, as this will help greatly with what we can surgest to suit your application.

If its just a wind switch needed for over and above a given wind speed than its not an aneomometer you are looking for.

I have seen wind or flow switches that resembles a small fan from a pc, with a spring attached to it that you adjust the tension on.
When the air force is greater than the spring tension the fan rotates a little and activates a micro switch.

I think a simiular gadget is used in some aircon ducting to detect air flow at times.

It would be easy to build one, but once again we are all just second guessing here.

AS the fish and chip lady said ...Please explain!!

Pete.Edited by Downwind 2010-04-10
Sometimes it just works

neil0mac

Posted: 07:29am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for efforts, folks.

I will put it to bed now.

Ni Night.

Neil.

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 10:55am 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well to me thats a bit like ....I will take my bat and ball and go now..........

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 02:41pm 09 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

now now we're all friends here
lets keep it that way

Pete your approach is straight to the point
-not like a pebble at a window, more like a brick!

I like the way you do things simple, practical and always helpful especially to the newbies.

Neil -lots of things going on in your head -i hear that too, happens to me too, I often suffer the same problem with the wife, just say "blah blah blah" as she replies with what the hell are you talking about and of course she hasn't been listening to my thoughts prior to my statement or question and thus cannot comprehend what the hell i'm talking about.

anyway -keep it coming you guys make the forum tick, even if occasionally we miss a few ticks going on in our heads that we failed to add to the thread.

Gordon picks me up on that quite a bit, nothing to get upset about.

Oh and lastly Gizmo -beauty a simple solution that i think would work but to do what?
Park it in what orientation?

Cheers Karl
Luck favours the well prepared

neil0mac

Posted: 01:20am 10 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

KarlJ said  
Oh and lastly Gizmo -beauty a simple solution that i think would work but to do what?
Park it in what orientation? Karl

The desired 'Parking position' is horizontal, 'it' being a solar array on a tracker.

GWatPE

Posted: 02:05am 10 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Parking a solar panel if it gets windy. If the winds coincide with a hail storm, then a flat array will have lower survivability that just leaving it at the angle it may have been.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024