Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:16 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : solar power in S.A.?

matt down south

Posted: 03:11pm 12 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi all
about to move in to my farm near Pt Wakefield and would like to have a grid feed solar system with provision for some wind power to be feed in as well so whats system's are around and what are the power company's paying? and whats the catch?
matt

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:21pm 12 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dont know, but you will need to change your name soon to "Matt out north"

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 11:22pm 12 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Matt

Im not sure of the SA subsidy but it will be simular to the QLD one. 2010-06-13_084223_solar_bonus_scheme_current_1.06.10.pdf

Do a search on the SA solar program and something simular will come up.

Go for the largest capacity one you can afford and preferably one with an oversize Inverter so you can add panels later as you can afford them.

As for pitfalls, the concept is overrated as to the savings gained, it is up to you to put in place a power saving program yourself to get benefits. The Solar Hot Water System set up is the most advantageous part of the scheme as in my case it saved 10KW a day which is twice what the Grid feed makes on the average.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 03:16am 13 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As for pitfalls, the concept is overrated as to the savings gained,

Yes, Bob's on the mark there... I've 1Kw and today in full sun at 12 mid. I see just over 600 watts...

You'll save enough for a newspaper each day ...

So, I'm getting ready to swing mine on a tracker,hoping that will improve things a fair bit ,,,I'm not whinging,as I got mine for $355 ,

Bruce.
Bushboy

petanque don

Posted: 11:33am 19 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nu-energy are doing a deal 1.5 Kw for under 2 grand

You may need a 2 way meter what is another $500 to $600

My 1 Kw system from a different supplier gave 1600 KwHr for one year and I fed back about half.

AGL are paying 51 cents for feed in presently

matt down south

Posted: 02:03pm 19 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

do you get a credit off your bill or a cashable cheque?
matt

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:32am 20 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Matt

My understanding of the payback system is that it credits your bill and when you go past consumption into a credit on the bill they grudgingly pay by check, some people I know said that they wait till the second bill term to amortize the credit, they are certainly not to keen to pay as I have been waiting for six months for them to fit the grid feed inverter feed in meter, I plan to send them a bill for the power generated with my next payment with the amount of feed deducted from the bill, that may stir them into action.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

petanque don

Posted: 03:19pm 24 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You get a credit off your bill.

The majority of the energy produced is in the summer months.

The chances of maintaining a credit all year seem slim to me unless you have a system a lot bigger than 1.5 Kw

matt down south

Posted: 05:26pm 24 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Downwind said   Dont know, but you will need to change your name soon to "Matt out north"

Pete.
i used to be PtWakefield Matt but i accidently hit the cookie delete button whilst having a nanny napso had to rejoin under another name
matt

Greenthumbs

Posted: 12:46am 25 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matt down south said   with provision for some wind power to be feed in as well

Hi Matt,
I have a 1.86Kw & a 1.7Kw PV system and I am almost finished my first wind turbine.
The 1.86Kw system was put in 2.5 years ago. It has reduced the power bill by two thirds. In this time it has produce over $3400. The other system has only just been put in. We also had solar hot water put in too.

The first system was installed by Natural Technology systems. (I would NOT recommend them).
The second one was put in by The Solar Depot. (I WOULD highly recommend ).
I can recommend Rinnia Thermosiphion solar hot water systems (made in SA at Regency park)
I DO NOT recommend Chromagen hot water systems

We should start going into credit in summer this year with any luck.

Just a note for you and others about wind turbine power.
If you connect your wind turbine to the grid and your PV system is connected as well to the grid, this makes your system a hybrid power system.
Sounds good BUT you will then not be paid for the energy you put into the grid.
wind turbines as I understand it are not covered by the feedin tariff in SA yet.
Sounds stupid I know. Some how energy from a turbine tastes different to that of a PV system
Not that that will stop me from connecting my turbine to the grid.
As long as they dont know then what can they do.
As far as I know nobody checks.
The rules are meant to be changing but we are all still waiting. Don't hold your breath.
Maybe now we have got rid of Rudd things might change and speed up... heres hoping.

Yahoo Serious once said "If you cant trust the government then who can you trust".
I guess the answer is US we are the people that will force the change if it becomes the in thing to do.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024