Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:18 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : dump gell cells

matt down south

Posted: 06:45pm 16 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

got 12 2 volt cells at the local dump for $80 [scrap value]as i know the owner and put plenty of 10 cent container's through his bottle yard,the cells are sun gel 2sg250 www.batteryenergy.com.au and made in 9/03 which puts them at 2300 cycle change over reguardless of condition which is good for all of us as these couldnt have been discharged to 58% on a day to day basis so what can i do with them? what will they support without going past 20% discharge?
matt

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:43am 17 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Matt

They should respond to a desulphation treatment and come back to nearly full capacity unless there is a mechanical internal fault.
Once the sulphate accumulation is removed from the plates they will perform to at least 50% discharge, mine are doing capacity to 80% discharge now. It will take several months with the desulphator to get good results and then leave it on as it conditions them all the time. Keep using them and set your stop voltage at 23 volts to avoid further sulphate, do not ad chemical desulphation as it reduces the longer term use even though it seems to give them a quick kick for the moment.

www.infinitumstore.com I use these with good success and Pete Downwind has a circuit for one if you want to build yourself.

Glad to hear you got a bargain

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

matt down south

Posted: 02:53pm 23 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi Bob
today i decided to see how good or bad these dump specials are so i hooked the pack together for 24v mode and wired them up to a apc 1000va pure sine wave UPS box [$10 at the dump shop],this powered up my large twin tub washing machine which managed to wash 2 loads of cloths without dropping down to far so now to see how long it takes to recharge on 80 watts of solar all good fun and a start to bigger projects
matt

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:16am 24 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Matt

It seems like you had a win with the batteries from the sound of that, but it will take forever to recharge with your little solar panel so best put a couple of chargers on them as well as it will bring them up a bit quicker to avoid further damage to the batteries. If you are serious about keeping them in good nick put a desulphator on them as soon as possible, you have a very good base for your system there so don't stuff them up as you could get a few more years out of them. Think of what that will save in tour bigger projects as you wont have the initial expensive of batteries.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

matt down south

Posted: 01:18pm 01 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi Bob
washed a few more loads since last time and 1 load takes the volts down to 25.2[75%] than flashes up to 25.4[88%] once i disconnect the apc ups box and i get enough charge over a day for the next load or a hours worth or tv and computer time.
ive had to cells on my 12v jaycar desulfator but ive connected them in 24 volt mode for ease of use so ill make one of the desulfator's from the circuit ive seen on this site and leave it wired in full time as it wont hurt nothing and save for another 80 watts of solarEdited by matt down south 2010-07-02
matt

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:27pm 01 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Matt

They are working OK but now you need to let them come up to 30 volts to give them a bit of a kick and desulphate a bit.
You will still need a desulphator to improve their capacity as at the moment they are only using only small amount of their total rated capacity. Its a good find so make sure you look after it.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

matt down south

Posted: 01:43pm 01 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi Bob
when i first got the cells they took 2 days on the car charger to get to 15v with 2.3 amps going in since then they have been charged buy 80watts of solar through a trace c40 pulse width modulating chage controller and hold their 100% charge voltage of 25.62 well even when the temp goes down to 5c at 5am in the morning
matt

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024