Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:47 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : ’Noon’ or ’Midday’?

neil0mac

Posted: 12:06pm 28 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For the solar purists (and the pedantics?) 'Noon' and 'Midday' "ain't necessarily the same thing".

Noon occurs at 12 P.M. Midday is halfway between sunrise and sunset - and can vary by as much as six and a bit minutes - the blue line).

If you promise to meet someone at midday and they arrive a minute or two either side of noon and then leave promptly, they may be there before (or after) you, and neither will see the other.

OK. So it's one of those useless facts you come across when doing research.

(BTW, the chart is for Gunnedah NSW at 30 deg. 50 minutes South.) And the blue dots are so you don't have to remember how ays there are in the 12 months of the year.Edited by neil0mac 2010-06-29

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:42pm 28 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yep

Long shadow time

Bob
Foolin Around

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 05:11pm 28 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[Quote=neil0mac]six and a bit minutes

I have a dumb question: What's a "bit"? I see it used all over the place and it's high time I knew what folks are talking about.

. . . . . Mac

Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

neil0mac

Posted: 02:21am 29 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MacGyver said   [Quote=neil0mac]six and a bit minutes

I have a dumb question: What's a "bit"? I see it used all over the place and it's high time I knew what folks are talking about.
. . . . . Mac

In this case Mac, it's more than six and less than seven. But if you're on the equator it's exactly 6 and 'nothing' as well as at the poles where 'midday last all day for weeks ats a time - and then you don't have one at all ('winter time'!)

Alternatively it's a fair amount less than 'a lot'.

In between those extremes it varies. See http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomical-applications/data -services/rs-one-year-us for both US(A) and international data to make your own 'bits' if applicable.Edited by neil0mac 2010-06-30

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 04:03am 29 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mac,

A BIT is what you drill a hole with.
A BIT is a expression for a small amount...a little bit of apple pie
A BIT is a smaller fraction of what makes up a BYTE in data with electronics ...8 bits make a byte
A BIT is was the misses gives you if you are lucky......I have a headache means no bit today.
A BIT is what goes in the horses mouth...part of a bridal.
A BIT explains Oz hair loss with emails....bit by bit going bald.
Bit is past tense of bite.

So yes it is used everywhere.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 04:30am 29 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pete

That's a good BIT of an explanation but I think Mack meant Noon unless I'm wrong which is more than possible as it happens more than a BIT of the time.

Hi Mack

If its NOON that's the problem that's when the shadow of a stick stuck in the ground vertically is the longest, this is caused because we have average time zones for setting the clock but if we aren't at the set point of the time zone then the time is wrong for where we are, so NOON isn't 12 o'clock. Clear is as clear as a BIT of Mud.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

neil0mac

Posted: 04:43am 29 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK4AYQ said   Hi Pete
If its NOON that's the problem that's when the shadow of a stick stuck in the ground vertically is the longest,

Don't you mean 'shortest'? E.g. on the equator there is no shadow at all at 'mid-day'.

Just for record, the data I based the graph on is from the 150th meridian, used for setting the EST time zone down under, which isn't out by 'much' - which in this case, is probably less than 'bit'.Edited by neil0mac 2010-06-30

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 11:28am 29 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

neil0mac said   For the solar purists (and the pedantics?) 'Noon' and 'Midday' "ain't necessarily the same thing".

I am not a "pedantic". I am a pedant.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:49pm 29 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Neil

You got me mate I thought one thing and wrote another, you are exactly right.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Loomberah

Posted: 07:15pm 07 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Actually, its over 15 minutes, and is known as the Equation of Time. It's the difference between midday 12pm and solar noon (ignoring daylight savings), and varies over the year due to the Earth's elliptical orbit and the obliquity of the ecliptic.
At this time of year, the difference is relatively small. There are also offsets to apply for people who dont live on a standard time zone meridian... although Neil is quite close to one

Read all about it here: Wikipedia page
Loomberah weather +solar&UV, astronomy, photography, organic farm

GWatPE

Posted: 01:32pm 08 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have to ask Neil0mac, which calendar was used to prepare the first graph. My calendar has May with 31 days, but your graph shows only 30. Is this an Excel thing?
Maybe Gunnedah has a different calendar.

As you are talking about pedantic, maybe this is an appropriate point to add.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Loomberah

Posted: 01:37pm 08 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

They take a day off May and add it to August around those parts

neil0mac

Posted: 12:47am 09 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gordon 1, 'May'be that was an 'august' occasion?

Gordon2, I did notice a 364 day 'year' but wasn't fussed enough to chase the discrepency! The info came from ...

http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomical-applications/data -services/rs-one-year-world ...

... imported into Excel and 'massaged'.

Anyone seriously chasing an extra watt or two would probably only make some gain by adjusting their system for the times the year where midday varies by more than 6 minutes (first and third quarters of the year), as 10 degs. off perpendicular has no appreciable loss of irradiation collection.Edited by neil0mac 2010-07-11

Loomberah

Posted: 12:09pm 10 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

neil0mac said  
Anyone seriously chasing an extra watt or two would probably only make some gain by adjusting their system for the times the year where midday varies by more than 6 minutes (first and third quarters of the year), as 10 degs. off perpendicular has no appreciable loss of irradiation collection.

In a fixed system pointing North there is no gain to be made by making any adjustments, the sun still follows the same path across the sky and is highest when due North, the time on your clock makes no difference whatsoever!
With a brightest part of the sky tracker, the local clock is also irrelevant.

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 07:29pm 10 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I agree with Loomberah

I have been biting my tongue here over all this need for plotting the sun across the year and think its a waste of good energy and just being pedantic, that at the end of it, it will make 2/5 of F---ALL differance.
If the sun was a 100 meters away maybe it be worth considering.

There is a time the classroom needs to step out into the field and do some real experiments because theory dont always equal fact.

The other thing is something needs to run all this and short of a nassa computer its just a pipe dream, as 4096 bytes of program space in a micro just aint going to cut it.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024