Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:33 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Energy Bills

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:59pm 19 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All

Just an update on my commercial 1kw hour subsidized unit with a single phase sunny boy 1.2 kw GTI and a solar panel HWS.

Usual Bill prior to installation: $649 per quarter

First Quarter bill with solar only: $428

Second Quarter bill with SHWS : $188

This is the most basic system that you can get, and the savings a really good and worthwhile even with a mickey mouse system such as this.

This is with other solar systems disabled and no wind input to give an accurate picture of the benefits.

Next Quarter I will read the improvement in running a 300 watt GTI for 12 hours a day to use the other panels and battery bank.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 05:28pm 19 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All that money saved Bob, i will have to charge you more next time you need something built

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 09:25pm 19 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pete

That's OK with me, and I think some other members as well, they really appreciate your help to do things beyond their skill level, from the comments I read. The amount of effort you Guys put into doing things for the general good of all members is unreal. As my Dad used to say, Your blood is worth bottling but for the cost of bottles.
Keep up the good work.

By the way any money saved is being ploughed back into the Solar and Wind Turbine collection to hopefully negate the bill completely, as I think there are hard times ahead once the resources bubble bursts, and if one is not prepared to go back to the dark ages or depend on handouts, now is the time to prepare.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 11:29pm 19 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, well done ,Bob ..

Mine is similar except for the shws,I have the off-peak for my hot water and I think it's around 10 cents a kilowatt,so thats not bad .

I'll put my 1Kw of panels on a tracker out of the area that they are in now ,because they get shade in winter..

Anyhow, good news,

Bruce
Bushboy

RossW
Guru

Posted: 01:46am 20 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK4AYQ said   Hi All

Just an update on my commercial 1kw hour subsidized unit with a single phase sunny boy 1.2 kw GTI and a solar panel HWS.

Bob, don't take this the wrong way... but again with the confusing and wrong terms.

Your commercial installation is almost certainly 1 kilowatt. That means it can produce 1 kilowatt peak in optimum conditions.

It will produce 1 kilowatt-hour of power each hour it's in these conditions, and should easily make 6 kWh per day.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 04:06am 20 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Ross

Sorry for the lingo mate, Unfortunately ideal conditions don't come along very often as its stuck on the roof at 22 deg and the best output I have seen is 850 watts hr from its 1100 watt array 6 panels 0f 180 watt spec, this time of year, midday it's doing 650 watts, but it all helps.

The solar HWS was the biggest of the two savings, it cut 10 kw a day from the bill nearly twice the input from the solar panels.

I am making a tracker as Bruce is to try for better return, I think that it will cut the bill out completely once it is on line. I will let it go for the next 3 months with my present experiment before going back onto batteries for the house.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 03:00am 21 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All

I forgot to mention I replaced the fridge as the old one was chewing 6000 watts a day and the new one is 1400 watts a day, I believe it will go up a bit when the hot weather hits, but so will the solar output, so all is well.

The system is running

2 fridges 320 watts
1 washing machine 550 watts
1 microwave 1100 watt
1 toaster 1000 watt
1 pressure pump 500 watt
1 sulage pump 350 watt
1 induction cooker 1200 watt
1 electric kettle 1800 watts
1 15 amp 12/24 volt battery charger 310 watts at full power output
1 electric stove
1 computer and accessories 230 watt satellite modem, network driver, printer, work light and sound amplifier.
1 TV 75 watt
1 stereo 120 watt
1 Hot water system 7 watts for the controller.
1 vacuum cleaner 1800 watts
leaving everything on standby, without turning off at the wall the use is 22 watts.

Of course all the above are used sparingly, and they also run off the inverter with the exception of the electric stove.

The point is that as long as you are aware of power usage, you can use all the appliances you need, no need to go back to the stone age.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024