Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:03 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Solar farm in Spain

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:41am 05 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There's a pretty good article in the latest edition of Silicon Chip magazine ( August 2010 ), about the solar farms popping up in Spain. They are building several 50MW plants, and use a salt solution to provide base load power all day and night!

The technology is here now, the excuse used by governments that only fossil fuels can provide the base load power is rubbish, Spain has proven that it can be done easily. To quote from the article "We no longer have to wait for years of research to bear fruit and we no longer have any excuse to delay."

The article was written by Richard Keech and Matthew Wright of Beyond Zero Emmisions. Web Site

Also in the magazine is a article on building a ultrasonic cleaner, might give that a go, I've used one before and they are realy good for cleaning metal parts and circuit boards.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

petanque don

Posted: 07:04pm 05 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think solar towers (chimneys) can also provide base load electricity.

I would imagine that one issue is that base load with the present system is nearly considered a by-product of peak period production and so is priced so cheaply that it is difficult to make money from it.

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 12:54am 08 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the heads up on SC mag, as i actuall bought this months issue for a read.

It looks like the mag, has started to go back to having a reasonable degree of circuit and project information again. (then they had to run out of DSO's to write about sooner or later)

I might have a go at the ultrasonic cleaner myself too.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:18am 08 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah as a electronics magazine its getting better.

That article is good, its even pro wind. The storage of heat energy in salt is simple and safe, there's no excuse for us not to go down the same path as Spain, except I fear mighty coal dollar will dictate where our power comes from for many decades to come.

The ultrasonic cleaner article is good, but I couldn't see a supplier for the kit anywhere. I have a couple of those little 12v portable fridges I've picked up from the dump for $5 each, so I'm thinking one of them would make a good ultrasonic cleaner. Rip out the peltier block and fit the ultrasonic transducer in its place.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

manuka

Posted: 01:47am 08 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Guys- it may have been a good coverage,BUT the article failed to mention that massive government subsidies drove the Spanish project,AND (following the 2008 economic meltdown in Spain) that these sweeteners have since been savagely slashed. The slant so neglected this aspect that I've penned a long "Mail Bag" letter to SiChip in response.

As a result of recent global economic hard times, there's an over supply of many solar technologies, many of which were European subsidy driven. "Regular" solar photovolatics (PVs) have now become VERY well priced in response. Low profile PVs are much easier to roll out,mount,scale(up or down),tweak & maintain,& even can be roof mounted or have (shaded)land underneath retained for grazing etc. Even difficult terrain & discontinous sites can readily be used. There are no screaming turbines,generator conversion losses, precise mirror beaming or "after dark insulation". Even the mere availablity of water- precious in arid locations -may well be a thermal solar issue of course too...

At their end of life (say 20 years) most PVs still have utility for less demanding applications-I've some 1980 era ex marine (& thus salt spray,wind & UV exposed) PVs that still work fine for hobbiest use.

Overall PV schemes (both large & small) are now (mid 2010)increasingly being seen as a more attractive INVESTMENT than thermal solar electrical generators. Stan. (Regular "SiChip" contributor)Edited by manuka 2010-08-09

Redman

Posted: 02:39pm 13 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said   Yeah as a electronics magazine its getting better.
there's no excuse for us not to go down the same path as Spain, except I fear mighty coal dollar will dictate
Glenn

If NSW labor are anything to go by then its never going to happen.

The ETU in NSW had a golden chance to sell what will be in just 15 years outdated, costly and dirty technology, the coal generators. They could have fetched a fortune for them but the Unions took the scalp of LP leaders Lemma and Reece finally installing the puppet bimbo.

If this is how the NSW labor government works then the libs work in similar but at polar opposite ends bedding down with private industry.

http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/40254

http://directaction.org.au/issue2/nsw_labor_electricity_priv atisation_plans

http://www.crikey.com.au/2008/02/18/nsw-labor-to-fight-iemma -on-privatisation/

http://www.solidarity.net.au/18/will-nathan-rees-survive-the -nsw-labor-conference/

Keep in mind these power stations will be totally useless in 30 years and probably shut down if green tech / carbon credits or both gets ahead.

Then they are worthless mountains of 19th century technology...
AND LABOR WANT TO KEEP THEM PUBLIC when so much money can be made.

Money for green energy, trains, Epping line, Light rail, Hospitals...

Total lack of vision, no competence and total amoral thugs.

Bernie Riordan state rep Electrical Trades Union saved 2000 or less jobs but left 4 million people waiting on a train line, green energy and hospital upgrades.

I just hope those 2000 jobs were worth it because in 30 years time they won't be there.

Just in today
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/new-800-power-slug /story-e6frf7kx-1225905087931

VICTORIAN households face electricity price rises of up to 50 per cent - between $600 and $800 a year on average - to cover soaring costs and pollution taxes.

The savage blow will push average annual bills for typical families towards $2000 by 2013.

Households have already endured price rises of 20 to 30 per cent in the past two years.

The higher cost of power generation, poles and wiring upgrades, the rollout of smart meters and uncertainty over an emissions-trading scheme are blamed.

"A world of pain is coming," St Vincent de Paul Society energy spokesman Gavin Dufty said.

Industry analyst Simon Oaten warned the cost of coal and gas fuels used to generate electricity were escalating dramatically.

@$2000 a year a 2 or 3kw solar system starts looking really good.

If you are really brave, get a gas catalyst from Germany or Japan and pay no, zero electricity instead they pay you 100% of the time.Edited by Redman 2010-08-15

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024