Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:55 18 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : adding PV` to existing system reqs?

rgormley

Posted: 11:32am 09 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i have a 2 kw (1980w =11 x 180w panels)
cost me $11,197 (total price was $19,997) (got the 8 k back in gov rebate)

i upped to the fronius IG30 outdoor IP45
http://www.energymatters.com.au/fronius-2650watt-grid-connec t-inverter-ig30-outdoor-ip45-p-621.html

so the question is, can i get any rebates/reqs if i add say another 3 panels.
or once you get the rebates that's it for that household?

Thanks,

oh it`s in Melbourne, Australia

Edited by rgormley 2010-08-10

neil0mac

Posted: 09:43pm 09 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

rgormley said  so the question is, can i get any rebates/reqs if i add say another 3 panels.

or once you get the rebates that's it for that household?

Probably not, as you will be attempting to operate under two different gov't rebate systems.

Don't take my word for it though. Contact the Office of Renewable Energy for a definitive answer.

rgormley

Posted: 03:28am 10 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

just for the heck of it asked the company that installed my 2kw system about req`s and so forth. Did not really get an answer, but they did provide a quote to add 3 panels to my exsisting system....

$4059.... (allowed for $360 in REQS)

this was in the quote.

540W /Sharp Grid Connect System.
3 x Solar Panels : Sharp : NUSOE3E (180)
Mounting frames to suit roof, complying with all local engineering standards
All safety labels required by Australian Safety Standards (AS4777)
installation by electrical contractors and solar accredited BCSE team
Cabling, conduit, DC & AC circuit breakers and enclosures
Administration of RECs and Solar Credits
Certificate of Electrical Safety

allways learnin

Posted: 07:56am 12 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi M8,
I will be adding more panels as well and you will only get the basic REC's price per panel Wattage.
The 5x Multiplier doesn't apply to us as We got the Original 8k Rebate.

Edited by allways learnin 2010-08-13

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 10:00am 12 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

$4000 for three panels?
tell em to piss off!

I did an additional 4 x 185w panels with a tilt frame for $2600 including the sparkie.

source the panels yourself and DIY forget the RECS worth about $360-400.
save yourself three time that by DIYing.

worst case find a cec sparkie on the list and offer him $300 to fit the couple of panels, he'll take it

Karl
Luck favours the well prepared

Homegrow47

Posted: 06:44am 28 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

KarlJ said   $4000 for three panels?
source the panels yourself and DIY forget the RECS worth about $360-400.
save yourself three time that by DIYing.
Karl

I want to do a DIY upgrade to my current 1kW system (with a 1100W inverter).
I was going to get 6 x 180W panels ($500 each) plus a 2000W grid inverter ($1400).
They are all on the CEC approved list.
But if I forget about the RECs and go the DIY way, does anyone know if I need to get approval from my electric company (Energy Australia) ?

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:08pm 28 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Homegrow47

I checked with my elec company in Qld, Origin, and they said it would need to be signed out by a approved sparkie and upgraded on the contract, approved inverter, this applies up to to 10 kw on single phase, 30 kw on three phase.

Forget the RECS as its to much trouble to be worth it on a small upgrade.

Not sure on your supplier but I suggest you check their website as it shout be outlined there, then give them a ring and get a clarification from customer service. Ask them to email the details so you have it in writing.

Over 30KW its a different commercial contract.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Homegrow47

Posted: 12:23pm 28 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK4AYQ said   I checked with my elec company in Qld, Origin, and they said it would need to be signed out by a approved sparkie and upgraded on the contract, approved inverter.

Thanks Bob, for that information.
Much appreciated.
I will contact Energy Australia and ask, as you suggest.
It probably would make the install a lot cheaper, if I could use any registered electrician, rather than a CEC accredited installer.
Might also try and find out if the panels have to be on the approved list, or just the inverter.
I know the inverter would definitely have to be, because that is what's connected to their (Energy Australia's) network.

JeffEdited by Homegrow47 2010-08-29

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:31pm 28 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jeff

When I spoke to them they didn't seem to worried about the panels just the inverter.
The sparkie has to sign out for the feed in contract so needs to be accredited and also needs to be approved for high voltage DC power, over 100 volts dc I think.

When purchasing panels you can request a compliance certificate to show the sparkie and if he is happy with it then he installs it.

If you have a co operative sparkie you can do most of the installation yourself and just get him to terminate and connect to the inverter, don't try to connect panels yourself as high voltage is deadly.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

neil0mac

Posted: 09:24pm 28 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jeff,

Between the CEC and the Energy Australia, they have you over a barrel. CEC must approve the panels and the energy mob, the inverter (although the inverter doesn't have to be on the CEC list (at least, in NSW).

Homegrow47

Posted: 12:35am 29 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

neil0mac said   Jeff,

CEC must approve the panels and the energy mob, the inverter.

I don't mind getting an inverter and panels on the the CEC approved list.

Its just that I would like to build a custom mounting frame (from standard SHS gal steel) and buy the panels and inverter, then mount them myself.
I was then hoping to get an electrician to connect it all up, so it could be approved by Energy Australia.
I have already got the solar gross meter installed and approved.

I was just worried that Energy Australia now require a CEC accredited installer to approve it, and they (the CEC installer) wouldn't approve it, unless they did the whole install.Edited by Homegrow47 2010-08-30

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 03:46am 29 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Homegrow47

I found a couple of boxes of beer works well.

Bob
Foolin Around

neil0mac

Posted: 05:02am 29 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Homegrow47 said   and they (the CEC installer) wouldn't approve it, unless they did the whole install.

Shop around for an agreeable installer. Start on the Clean Energy Council site.

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 09:04am 29 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

indeed
I got my 5.2KW array signed off for $500.
here is some eye candy from I job I did on the weekend.
5 different mobs said it couldnt be done yet here it is.

took me a whole day and I spent $600 on a harness to do it.
-Reason being my installer said it couldnt be done and I just had to proove him wrong,'
even matched the height of the solar hot water.

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 07:38am 04 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When my AERL900B MTTP went south and the PV wasn't charging at all my insurance company (Elders) came to the rescue and said what ever you can do we'll approve it. I told my rep I could either get a direct replacement for over 2K or get a newer one that is heaps better for 1/2 the cost. I got a Outback Flex Max 60 and did try to get a certifiable sparkie to come and install it but I was told a 2 month wait as they were flatout. As I have 60 watt kaneka thin film panels and they were setup in 2 series/parallel for an open circuit voltage of around 160 volts. This was too high for the FM60 so I re-wired the pv panels to be in series. To be safe I put a blanket over each panel as I disconnected the power wires and a few hours later the job was finished and we were back to charging.

The crap that goes with solar in this country is down right communism where the whole game is a closed shop. A mate who is a sparkie and owns his own business tried out for the accreditation but was told he would have to do a 5 year course. Not long after starting the course he quit in disgust as the whole course was corrupted. As big business has solar by the balls the average DIY guy will be breaking the law doing a pv install themselves.

Go Figure.....

Steve9R

Posted: 09:49am 29 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am also getting another 6 x BP 170W 3170T 24V Solar Panels installed in 2 weeks..

Id put in the bigger inverter initially so i could increase planels later..

its costing me $5750 installed, which i dont think is too bad, considering the panels alone are > $1k each everywhere ive looked..

that includes all the labels having to be replaced (i know thats no biggy but still has to be done).. fully installed with frames etc, and power company informed etc..

with us Melbournians getting 66c p/KWH here fed back into the grid we've worked out a ROI of 5years tops.. with 25 year warranty on the panels, hopefully they'll be generating for a long time to come...

Steve

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 12:21am 30 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geez Steve thats some serious coin 1.1KW (6x185W) panels should be $3300
racking approx $300 Tin $430 tile
install to existing including wiping off the old number with eucalyptus oil and writing on a new number.
a days work at $100 an hour MAX $800. Electrical sundries $200 MAX (PV BOS is around $100 + cable)

guess $5700 isnt looking too bad....
$4650 would be a better number but may not get the BP panels (incidentally very few panels are "worth" more than $3/w)

Good Luck

Steve9R

Posted: 04:07am 30 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah look i agree.. it is serious coin.. but at the end of the day I still feel its worth doing, and the ROI is still good.. ( and my tax return is paying for it all)..so rather than blowing that on something else, I decided to go this way..

the reason i like BP panels is their specs :

• 93% power output over 12 years
• 85% power output over 25 years

You compare this to the cheap panels coming out of china at the moment.. (if you can get specs at all!)..

I figure if Im spending the $$s anyway i might as well get something that will go the distance with me..

its the same as with everything you pay for what you get..

Steve
Edited by Steve9R 2010-10-01

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 06:58am 02 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That money I could send you Solon German panels :)

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024