Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:06 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Solar rebate

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 09:15pm 18 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just got my electric bill ..

I have a 1 Kw solar installation ..

My total rebate for 66 days is 26Kwh @ 0.52 cents which equals $13.52.

So my savings are about 20 cents per day ..

Now , am I right in thinking my solar output during the day supplements the usage and if I turn everything off then that 26 Kwh's would be over and above what I actually used?.

Bruce
Bushboy

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 04:38am 19 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bruce

I had my meter fitted 10 days ago and the results so far are encouraging.

Total usage 85 KW
Solar feed in total 38 KW
Dual voltage mill feed in 15 KW

Rebate amount 19 KW

The reading is positive most of the day except while cooking as I have gone back to electric cooking as an experiment to see if it is a proposition now the price of gas has gone up. Gas was going at $1.30 a day, compared to 62cents a day last time I checked it several years ago.

This is off the 1KW fixed unit averaging 600 watts hr during the day.

The way my meter works is as you suggest, while there is solar input less than the usage at that instant the solar supplements the power, when their isn't any power drawn by the house it goes into solar feed rebate, at my place the average house use for the day is 350 watts per hour, according to the power meter. That draw is the computer and two fridges and the battery charger 15 watt.

All the best

BobEdited by VK4AYQ 2010-08-20
Foolin Around

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 01:24pm 20 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bruce
idea to get the best out of the FIT is use as little as possible during sunshine hours.
the bigger the system the better the payback as more will get fed in over the "base load" of your house.
Reduce the base load to min possible, turn off standby power suckers etc.

mine is as follows for the past few days
expresed as used from grid / fed in to the grid
total generation i have elsewhere and watching a movie right now, perhaps later

11 /6
12 /10
13 /17
0 /16
9/11
9/14
6/15
7/20
10/7
weather hasn't been great hence the low fed in amount

Cheers Karl
Luck favours the well prepared

fillm

Guru

Posted: 09:15am 21 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I must have a different meter set up , I have a meter only for the solar and wind and it is read seperatly and credited on the power bill , I get 20c a kW/H for the feed , the house is on a seperate meter and the hot water on another , the solar is deducted of the total bill.

The way I understand it here in Qld , you only get the high feed in tariff if your input is higher than your usage , if not you only get 20c a kW/H.

PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 10:34am 21 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Phill

The meter they fitted to my place is a composite meter it is a digital one with a number of readings for each section of power supply and back feed in on all three phases.

It gives total usage which is the total power from the grid, it has total feed into the system by the solar etc, it tells the amount of power fed back into the grid over the amount used on an instantaneous basis. It gives a reading of the amount fed in over the used amount as a credit amount, this is credited at 50 cents a KWH. The amount used is charged at 20 cents a KWH

Readings after 12 days. meter fitted Tuesday the 12 th to today Saturday the 21 st.

No machines run in this period so the usage will be a bit higher normally.

Total usage from grid 105 KWH $21.00

Input Total solar and wind 52 KWH Wind mill 16 KWH Solar input 36 KWH

Rebated amount 42 KWH $21

Total bill for the period $00

The wind input is measured by a separate line feed meter.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

maha22

Posted: 09:11am 24 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Most of those sites are just one step above a scam. They generate most of their income from web traffic. If you build your own panels, you will not be allowed to connect them to the electric grid, they are not UL listed. You'd need to buy enough batteries to take your house or room off-grid, if the electrical inspector will even allow you to install them on your house. You still need to buy an inverter, and mounting and safety equipment. The panels are just part of the expense, not worth it to make your own for anything other than a hobby or experiment. Do you think you'd be able to make something yourself that can withstand the elements for 40 years?

Gizmo is watching you.Edited by Gizmo 2010-08-25

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 10:01am 24 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maha22
we dont build your own panel we buy the panel first

Dwyer

joyt12k

Posted: 09:22am 06 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a 1.5Kw setup and .36 from wind. My smart meter was installed last Thursday
however no instructions on how to read it. It's three phase, does anyone know how to read it? In Perth we pay .17c per unit and get back .47c
jasmine

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:07pm 06 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jazmine

Im not sure if my meter is the same as yours but here is how mine works

First menu that reads is 001 total usage, then 05 1 phase, then 10 2 phase then 20 third phase.

040 is the total amount of rebated KWH

Sum of the three phases is the total KWH of solar feed.
Not sure yours is the same though

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

joyt12k

Posted: 11:57am 07 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Bob, I'll check it out tomorrow, did'nt know there was a menue I was too scared to touch anything.
jasmine

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 10:44pm 07 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jasmine

There should be two buttond to the side of the digital readout one will be sealed with as company loop seal and the other one steps through the menu.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Steve9R

Posted: 09:36am 29 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK4AYQ said   Hi Jazmine

Im not sure if my meter is the same as yours but here is how mine works

First menu that reads is 001 total usage, then 05 1 phase, then 10 2 phase then 20 third phase.

040 is the total amount of rebated KWH

Sum of the three phases is the total KWH of solar feed.
Not sure yours is the same though

All the best

Bob

On mine its 013 that is the total rebated KWH...

and ive seen other meters that look identical to mine with different readings too.. it just depends on the wholesaler as to how they configure them....so its best to ring them..

Steve

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024