Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:25 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Mount on solarspan roof?

Andybear

Posted: 12:58am 09 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,
Just a bit of background here. I have 18 panels, with SMA 3000 TL, and 6 panels to a Fronius 15. The usable space on my roof is a bit limited now, and I was wondering, if anyone has mounted solar panels on solar span (50mm thick). I think the fronius would handle another 6 panels or 4 for sure, and I have just had a new front deck installed and am considering the roof space there, for further expansion. Any thoughts?

Cheers all Andybear
When in trouble delegate. When in doubt mumble

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 06:30am 09 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Andy

We had a solar span 50mm roof decking fitted to our house with a span of 3.5 meters and I have walked around on it with no problems and I weigh 110 KG so that's a heavy point loading, four panels would be about half my weight with a lot better weight distribution so shouldn't be a problem.

The main issue I see is the panel attachment so as not to damage the top skin and let water into the panel.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Andybear

Posted: 10:12pm 09 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Bob,

That is pretty much the problem mate, the load factor ok, but the securing without leaving nuts exposed (sounds a bit rude) on the internal surface. The uncosmetic appearance rather than the engineering factor is the problem. I was thinking about making plates that could be pop riveted to the top skin only, and then secured to such plates. Probably a sound resolution, but would the installer be willing to use them?

Thanks again. Cheers Andybear

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 11:36pm 09 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Andy

I wouldnt be to happy with riveting through the skin as the different coefficients of expansion would work the rivits loose all the time and cause leaks into the core, I would be more inclined to do a bonding such as the 3m double sided bonding tape used to skin buses or sikaflex as I have found it very good for construction bonds.

Ask your installer what he does as he may have a system in place, if he suggests riveting, get another installer, you can ger special coach head bolts with pre coloured heads to match the underside or spray cans of matching paint, use sikaflex on the top to seal and bond, but dont use rivits as all the load is on the thin outer skin and it will delaminate in time.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Andybear

Posted: 06:15am 11 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Bob.

I'm thinking now of going back to the main roof structure, and doing some "narrow side orientation" instead.

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 11:07am 13 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

show me a picture.
Arrid do some trickey mounts for any roof you could imagine.
I'm happy to buy them for yo at my trade rate +5% for the mucking around and onsell with postage.
check out their website.
Luck favours the well prepared

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024