Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:04 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Newbie to forum and solar power

stuart 50

Posted: 04:58am 05 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi group, we had a 4.2kw system installed a couple of weeks ago and i am interested in what sort of savings i might get, we use about $13 a day from what the bill says, we have only had a couple off full sunlight days since installion and we generated around 26-28kw excuze me if my turmonagy is in correct, our system was installed on the north facing roof at about a 30 deg pitch. we also have solar hot water system and 30 000 gallons of tank water for the garden, we also live in a very exposed area and ultimately would like to go down the turbine road, any remarks help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Stuart
Interested in everything Ham Radio and Solar power

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:17am 05 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Stuart, welcome to the board. Sounds like your headed in the right direction with your solar and water systems.

Does your power bill tell you what your daily average power usage is? It will be in kWh ( kilo Watt hours )?

A few of the forum members have installed solar systems like yours, so should be able to give you an idea on what to expect in return.

Glenn

I see you posted twice, so I deleted one and moved this one into Solar. Sometimes you may not get a reply to a posting for a few hours or even days, thats the nature of forums.Edited by Gizmo 2010-10-06
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 12:47pm 06 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mine is 20% bigger than yours at 5.18KW
but got my first bill from Synergy since the FIT was introduced

in all about $450 better off over the 55 day billing period.

Made $400 (0.47C FIT) + offset $1 (ie power used whilst generating), less use GST service fee etc = $260 credit
and I've asked for a cheque

with reasonable usage habbits (ie piss off the 50W downlights and move consumption to hours of darkness wherever you can)

a result like mine is achievable without any real change to lifestyle.

Sound like you have the ducks lined up, now to cut your daily consumption in half.

previous owner of my place was using 50+ units (KW/hr) a day.

Today we used 7KW/hr from the grid and pumped in 30kw/hr.
makes for a ~$14 profit for the day.

Luck favours the well prepared

stuart 50

Posted: 08:33am 07 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Folks, thanks for the your replys i have been very busy at work and have not had a chance to get back on to the forum, i have had another look at the power bill, average is 40kwh average cost per day is $13 today we had a good sunlight day today and we generated 27kwh. We also have 2 reverse cycle ac units 1 in main house and the second in the granny flat and a pool filter and solar pool heating, i realise they all ad up and we are slowly changing our habbits.
Thanks again to those who replied.
Regards,
Stuart

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 12:40pm 07 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For the pool
A) run that sucker (filtration) at night!
b) if you have solar water heater get a multi event timer (bunnings $5)
set it to on off on off on off on each of the little on/off tangs
whilst still having it work via the temp controller
result pipes on the roof heat up store energy, heat is moved away in the "run" cycle
then stored again in the stagnation time.

Works a treat My pool is now at 29degC and we have barely hit october.
Hell we didnt stop swimming 25deg in the pool until MaY!

Next, loose the chlorine and convert to ioniser, cut run times down from 8hrs day filtration to 5 hrs a day in Summer and down to 2 hrs a week in Winter.
Best yet no Chlorine or salt in the pool to worry about

Cost is about $900. (I was so impressed I became the distributor in WA)
www.aquavic.com.au
Luck favours the well prepared

stuart 50

Posted: 12:09am 08 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Karl, thanks for the tips on the pool, our pool is salt pool, also i have the filter running at night timer is set to 8 hours but will back it back to 5 hours also will look at the timer, we also have a thermal pool blanket which normally temp drops about a degree overnight, i am also a bit confused with the calculations
with our set up. 4.2kw, also i have purchased a sunny bean wireless monitor and have it connected to the pc.
Regards,
Stuart

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024