Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:39 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : New forum area - Solar!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:41am 08 Mar 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yep its a whole new forum area. There have been a few solar posts over the last few months, and I have a growing interrest in solar as well, so I've added a new forum area just for the solar questions.

I'll also be adding some solar based projects to the web site in the next few months. Why? What happened to wind power. Well my place has the perfect wind conditions for a solar panel! I only get a few months of wind per year, but I have full sunlight all year round. And I can see some fun projects in solar, like solar trackers and chargers. I also have a few old satelite dishes that could be converted into solar concentrators.

So feel free to post your solar questions and idea's.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Bushman

Posted: 11:03pm 30 Apr 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

We have corresponded over the last few days over wind generator issues but experience gained setting up the boat may be of interest. Pictures are on the website at www.handymariner.com.au.

The engine has it's own starting battery, supplied by the alternator on the engine, but also a 4 watt BP solar panel. This combination keeps the battery in good nick and prevents sulphation when the motor is not run for any length of time.

All other systems like the Engel fridge, lights, navigation instruments etc are powered by 2 X 40W Solarex panels through a regulator into a 110 AH deep cycle battery. A 30W inverter provides power for a small TV and occasional use of a sander etc. If I want to tun serious power tools or the microwave, I use a cheap 850W 2-stroke generator. A "ship/shore" switch isolates the 240V AC from the DC systems and the same cutout allows use of shore power if it is available or a marina. This combination has worked well for some years.

Back to the wind project at the farm- it will actually be a hybrid system with 1 or 2 solar panels, the wind vane and a petrol generator. This way, the computer, modem, router, lights and the HI-FI will run entirely on DC through a 1500W inverter. As with the boat, machine tools, the microwave oven, vacuum cleaner etc will require starting the generator that may also power a backup battery charger

If all of this sounds complicated, actually it is not. The system (as with the boat) works because a mate who is a retired marine elecrician has vast experience in everything from navy, railways to small boats (he is rewiring the FP stator for me and building a solid state rectifier & controller for the farm)

A lot of power problems are solved by having a vivid understanding of power comsumption. This means never using power when it is not absolutely necessary and using appropriate sized gear. In this way the power generation cost is reduced way below what the "professionals" want to charge for a "house" system.

If anyone is interested in the consumption and power generation numbers. let me know.

Cheers

Alan

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024