Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:56 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Grid-Tie Solar package

Page 1 of 2    
brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 09:44pm 13 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Philm and I met with a salesman yesterday to discuss Solar grid-Tie package for our houses.

Discussions concerning installation,supply of materials and final cost are still in progress,so what I'm telling you could change.

The panels are 6 X 175 watt single crystal silicon modules,(Sharp).

The inverter is a 1200 Watt PV edge grid connected inverter.

There are no batteries--direct inverted supply to the grid.

We are in discussions concering the final cost which we hope to come in at around $12000 . Taken into account the $8000 Govt. rebate ,this leaves us with a bill of $4000. We are trying hard to get this down to $3500 or less.

In my case , the wiring is there,except the ac part.
My existing tracking frame could be extended to mount the new 6 panels on .

The inverter could be mounted in a mini rack I have installed ,ready.

So, , a fair estimate of time would be in my case around 4 hours for 2 men , plus a minimun of materials,few mtrs of ac cable ,panel mounting frames,junction box,Etc.

Phil's panels are to be mounted on his roof plus a few extra materials than I require.

The estimated return is approx. $400-$600 per year .

Not a bad deal ,when you consider the inverter could cost ,say,$2000-$2500 and the panels retail at around $1300 per panel..

The electric authority has to install a digital meter in your meter box (included in the price above) ,,then the power you suppy into the grid is deducted from what you take-from the grid.

Any excess you feed to the grid after your bill is credited to you ,if it's in excess of $100 then a cheque is sent to you ...

This system can accomodate a wind generator,extra panels,and a Latronics inverted suitable for the system is available if you decide to combine the above with a 48v battery bank .

The system automatically shuts down completly in the case of a supply black-out..
So, you would need the inverter and battery bank to overcome Black-out's .

Hope this helps,

Bruce
Bushboy

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 10:43pm 13 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Brucedownunder2
That is not bad on return is approx.$400-$600 per year however my conern installation,supply of all the nessary parts $12000 is still very high cost without the batteries bank so in fews years time Govt will try to find $8000 back by charging tax same with LPG fitting to motor car and buy LPG at service station at the momest is Tax free however I have been told Govt will tax on LPG in next couple of years after all rebate be paid to owner of new installion LPG will be return to Govt coffin same with rebate on Water Tanks .

Dwyer the bushman

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 06:34am 14 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah,, well,, we'll see

In the end it's your money ,it's up 2u

I'm just the messenger,

bruce
Bushboy

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:14pm 15 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bruce,
What electricity company offers you cash for excess power. I tried several years ago with Ergon and they would not pay money for power!!!

What happens to the power generated that you don't use and no body else uses in the grid.....lost???

Edited by Trev 2007-07-16
Trev @ drivebynature.com

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 09:20pm 15 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Trev,,

That bit could have been B/S sprooked about by the salesman-I'm just posting what he told us,as an indicator to you guys to get a feeling what"could" be out there. He also told us that the Beattie Govt. is looking at "upping" the buy-back of electricity to 28 cents per Kw from grid-tie providers.. This is in-line with what happens in Germany and some other european countries,to get people to install solar.
At present here it's just 'turn-back" the meter, 1 Kw for 1Kw,sort of arrangement.
The electric Co. does have to install a new type digital meter ,,so maybe it got some fancy internals that can do extra functions ? .

All the best with your new website,very well presented.

Bruce
Bushboy

Robert_VK2BBR

Posted: 08:49pm 16 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bruce, i recently checked with Country Energy, the NSW gov. electricity supplier, they have recently gone from 10c/kWH to 15c. I have been told that Vic and SA have even better deals. We are still persuing our grid tie system chasing better prices for about another month. We have a group of approx 10 people here and on the gold coast so looking at a group buy, but there are all sorts of complications with paper work and installation, not sure if it is going to work. i will probably end up back with rainbow power.
regards Robert
1555 W grid connect system since Jan 08
both vehicles running on modified, used vege oil.

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 04:01pm 17 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Robert,, Phil and I are in the Gold Coast hinterland , we have had discussions with installers ,there seems to be some confusion about installation practices, looks like the 'roof" install is the simplest,maybe because the house has apparently been built to a complying standard and the install is straightforward. When I wanted my panels on my tracking frame ,they then asked for engineers certificates and wanted to know if it would be strong enough.
Too difficult .
Anyhow ,keep us posted on your progress,,07 55453513.

Thank You,

Bruce
Bushboy

Robert_VK2BBR

Posted: 01:58am 22 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bruce i will keep you up to date. thanks for the phone number, will give you a call when i have something concrete. I would like to visit you some time too. I come up the gold coast fairly frequently when babysitting the grand kids. So if we can arrange a mutually convenient time, we can have a good chin wag and wind/solar show and tell!
cheers Robert 026625 1828

RonS

Posted: 02:45pm 22 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have been on 'grid-connect'for about six years or so in W.A. Over here you have two power meters, one incoming, one outgoing. At billing time they add up what you bought from them, add on a "Supply Charge", then GST and call this "Item 1". Next they tote up what they have bought from you and calculate the cost less 1/11 for GST that you don't pay at the agreed buy back rate. This is "Item 2". Then Item 2 is subtracted from item one and this amount is your bill.
None of this can happen, though, until you have a formal contract with Western Power in which prices and rates are agreed. ie They tell you what they will be and you have to agree or go whistle dixie.
We come out ahead by about $600per year which pays the rates.
RonS
Avoid strong drink. It makes you shoot at tax collectors ...and miss.

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 09:18pm 22 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello crew,

Ron has pointed out an important phase in the buy-back scheme. I'm wondering if that "buy-back" pricing aggrement applies to Queenslanders,,must make a few more enquiries.
I can see that the rebate all hinges on the correct installation and connection to a suppy grid-maybe the 'sellers'(installers) do just that so you can get the rebate and them the work. Now after they leave ,I wondering if the fun and games start with the power co.

Maybe,,,

Anyone in Queensland know of "buy-back" arrangements,please.?

Bruce
Bushboy

AMUN-RA

Posted: 09:32pm 23 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bruce at the moment there is no buy back in queensland
only net metering kwh for kwh at least with Ergon.
peter beatie has announced that he will introduce a feed in tariff that is a fair an reasonable price for power generated but has not done so yet still it is worth putting grid tie in i have one booked for my place
Mick
Every day the sun shines
& gravity sucks= free energy.

Prof

Posted: 02:08am 24 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi AMUN-RA

I should have my building permit sometime during this week and would then like to start the process for a new solar system.

Is it possible that I can get the rebate on a grid tie system which has options to connect batteries and regulator and more panels later at my leisure, even if it never gets connected to the grid in the first place? (grid connection is in excess of $30,000)

As you are aware I already have a lot of gear which is not elligible for a rebate and it seems to me that I should be able to add this later after the rebate is in my pocket!!

Prof
I know boats!!

Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:15am 24 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Prof,
If you are not going to get grid power on, then why consider a grid connect system??

You most likely would be elligable for stand alone. $30,000 or more to get grid power on is one of the criteria. This would give you a rebate of 50%, could be more than the $8000 for grid connect. Have a look at the AGO Website

Direct link to the Renewable Remote Power Generation Programme Guidelinesin pdf

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Prof

Posted: 04:37am 25 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Trev,
I have not delved into renewable rebate schemes in full for some time. The last time I did was about seven years ago and I decided at the time not to put in a application as I had access to 24 second hand panels and other gear including 48 volt 50 Amp battery chargers, control panels and batteries which would not attract a rebate. I only had to buy a regulator and inverter new. To get a rebate I would have had to pay somebody more to design and install than any rebate I could get.

I wish to basically install a new system for my new house but connect the raw solar power (2080 watts) that I have on my shed into it. I really only need another set of 4 panels on my new house plus the rest of a system. I have an adequate background to install such gear myself but need to determine the most cost effective arrangement and how much I am allowed to do.

I just thought that minimal grid tie may do to get a good rebate however AMUN_RA has told me by email that it won't be accepted without the grid.

I am starting back at the beginning anyway by asking ERGON for a current quote for a grid connection and I will move on from there.

Prof
I know boats!!

GWatPE

Posted: 11:16pm 31 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Prof,

I have 2 systems of grid feed solar. AGL pay similar to WA system.

Has anyone looked at grid feed wind?

may be worth a new discussion topic.

cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

Robert_VK2BBR

Posted: 04:57am 13 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bruce and all others, my grid tie syustem has been ordered, then cancelled, the guy quoted for sharp 175W panels then found they are not availble. So re thinking, had a good price on BP 165 watt, and also a US brand made in the old seimens factory, cant remember the name. So waiting for more quotes, while the sunshine is wasted. At least my mill has been spinning for 5 days now. cheers Robert

Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:54am 13 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Robert,
A good price may not be a good price. I have heard many people complain of the performance of BP panels. There has been many returns for warranty.

I have also just done a job in removing Kyocera panels that have failed. The manager of the business who installed them claimed that they were part of a bad batch. They are replacing them under warranty, but the charge for removal and refitting, was something like $1600. I have removed them (at a fraction of the cost), but they will re-fit them.

I have not had any bad reports about Sharp yet........
Edited by Trev 2007-11-14
Trev @ drivebynature.com

sPuDd

Posted: 12:29pm 13 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good info Trev.

How do the Sanyo panels stack up (pun) ?
They seem to be a very proud and long term cell maker.
What do you prefer to use by the way?

sPuDd..Edited by sPuDd 2007-11-15
It should work ...in theory

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 03:07pm 13 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

RonS said   I have been on 'grid-connect'for about six years or so in W.A. Over here you have two power meters, one incoming, one outgoing. At billing time they add up what you bought from them, add on a "Supply Charge", then GST and call this "Item 1". Next they tote up what they have bought from you and calculate the cost less 1/11 for GST that you don't pay at the agreed buy back rate. This is "Item 2". Then Item 2 is subtracted from item one and this amount is your bill.
None of this can happen, though, until you have a formal contract with Western Power in which prices and rates are agreed. ie They tell you what they will be and you have to agree or go whistle dixie.
We come out ahead by about $600per year which pays the rates.
RonS

Hi Ron, I'm located in Perth and wonder if you were dealing with Synergy? Also, your $600/year gain figure is the result of how many watts solar/ wind energy? I'm basically interested in this idea and am trying to work out if its worthwhile in my case.
Thanks.

Klaus

Robert_VK2BBR

Posted: 10:00pm 13 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi Trev, thanks for the comments re the panels, noted. Both the installers who I am dealing with seem to be very tired, never follow thru, one forgets to return calls etc. This has probably been the hardest attempt to spend $12000+ in my life.
cheers Robert

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024