Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:20 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : solar pannel output problem

martinjsto

Posted: 01:13pm 22 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi all,
help please, how do i test a solar pannel?
i have a problem with 1 solar pannel.
i have a 2 80w 12v pannels, in series connected in parralell to two other 80w 12v series pannels, this 24v is controlled by a steca_solarix 20a solar controler and is working fine, i use the steca_solarix 20a solar controler to test the problem pannel which is a seperate 80w 12v bp pannel controled by a steca_solarix 5a solar controler, the problem is i can see volts only on both controlers on the single pannel no amps at all
dosn matter which controler i use same problem, good volts but no charge to batteries,
is the pannel dead? i believe i can seperate the cells and test them individualy? anyone know anything about this would be apreciated
thanks
martin

free power for all
McAlinden WA

Gill

Posted: 02:05pm 22 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Martin,
The usual 2 quick tests are open circuit voltage, and short circuit current. Test each panel individually.
I think the voltage is around 18 to 19 volts in the sun, and the current around 4 to 5 amps.

Now if it passes the quick test and you still suspect low performance, try a load comparison. By this I mean connect the panel to a battery. Not a dead one, but one that will take a charge. Try all your panels this way and note the readings. any variation over 5% is a warranty claim.

If indeed the panels are under warranty ( 20 years for BP) do not be fobbed off by the retailer saying "but it passed the quick test". There is a specific reason the load test failures however it was to technical for me to understand. If you want to follow up on the reasons for failure, do a search of Otherpower's - Fieldlines Forum.

I had 6 x BP 80w (Mono crystal)panels and had warranty claims on all of them. One was a burnt out track inside the panel another was totally dead and the rest was the load performance failings.
So was "Not Happy Jan"

I hope that's given you something to look for.
Best of luck with it.

was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

martinjsto

Posted: 05:06am 23 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

cheers gill im off tonight back for 4 days i will test it and let u know the results, i got this perticular pannel 2nd hand not sure if i can still claim warrentee
oh by the way i recieved two new rotors today and tested them on a couple of stators i have, wow the freewhweeling is amazing, i got 62vdc at lowest speed on my lathe, about 400rpm i think, put it on seccond speed and omg 103vdc is that normal?.
thanks again
martin
free power for all
McAlinden WA

Gill

Posted: 10:29am 23 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, such a reading would not be a surprise. Though any reading would not be a surprise if, as I suspect, you have fitted a new rotor to an old unmodified stator.

The stator for this rotor must be modified to 7 phase to work effectively. There are several configurations. Check this site for all the good info. If any doubts, or quires you can always ask the forum.

Hope your panel is OK.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

martinjsto

Posted: 02:50pm 23 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

sorry gill,
should of explained better, the new 48 magnet rotor is fitted on a 7 phase modified stator in the lathe, not yet gaim to try at full speed, but at low i get 62vdc no load on 2nd of 5 gears i get 103vdc no load, i will try tonigh with a load fitted,i headed off tonight to my block, got half way there and dropped a con rod, had to nurse 100km home now palked with no car bummer, ah well another project lolol

free power for all
McAlinden WA

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024