Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:14 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : turning point for the solar industry?

Jon Bennett

Posted: 12:01am 24 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A company called Nanosolar has developed a process for making solar pannels that they recon they can sell at less tha US$1/watt.

They have despatched their first shipment to a commercial power station in germany; http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS111060+18-De c-2007+PRN20071218

Guess commercial outfits will chew up all their production for a while but we can always hope that they filter some down for private use.

If they run off rolls of film in the US plant and ship them to different continets as rolls in containers then cut and frame them into pannels on the end user continent shipping cost per pannel will be very low.

regards
jon

whiskey

Posted: 08:43pm 25 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Every year some new company claim they lower the cost per watt to produce solar PV. None of these manufacturers have ever passed on the savings to the retail trade and we (the consumer) still pay high costs and always will.

The cheapest panels retail at present I see worldwide are for sale in Australia by Oatley Electronics. They look Chinese but I cant say for fact. If I were buying panels they look good value if the warranty is reasonable with the amount of watts the panels will produce over a 10 year period. Any good manufacturer has no problem in publishing what we can expect in 10 years from panel x.

The Oatley panels are cheaper than trade cost in the US. And no I dont have any involvement with Oatley or even live in the southern hemisphere :)

Cheers,

Whiskey

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 10:45pm 25 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Allo Whiskey,
Welcome to the forum mate It's been ages since we caught up how bout gettin ya butt into irc once in a while .

Anyway this so-called nanosolar is another prime example of the snake oil salesman propelling themselves into a high profit area trying to gleen the hard earned $$$ out of folk. Really untill Origin Energy come forward with their new thin film pv panels we wont see any price reduction on pv panels.

Cheers Bryan

Highlander

Posted: 06:10am 26 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I wouldn't get to excited untill it's in the shops with a price tag on it.
Suncube is a prime example.
Central Victorian highlands

whiskey

Posted: 10:32pm 26 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bryan,

Spose its about time I posted, been joined up a while and havent had time to post.

There are many news guys on the block each year who make wild claims in hopes if extracting money from the unwary. The old addage holds true, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

I will stick up a photo diary of the solar water heating panels I will be building as soon as I get done renovating the house. All the pipe work is already in place.

Cheers,

Whiskey

Jon Bennett

Posted: 10:57pm 26 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi

Good theory other than they are fully backed by some people who are not idiots and you cannot buy shares with them.

Nanosolar investors

I have no barrow to push other than I thought people may have been interested, learnt my lesson there I guess.

regards
jon

Edited by Jon Bennett 2007-12-28

Highlander

Posted: 12:14am 27 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don't take it personally Jon, It is interesting.
$1 per watt I'll buy $2000 worth of them, if they were for sale.

Central Victorian highlands

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024