Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:18 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : solar security camera project.

ashton86

Posted: 12:24pm 04 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am a real amateur when it comes to all things electronics and I was wondering if you could help me.

I have purchased land out in the middle of bush in south queensland and have no power. Unfortunately I have had a fair share of red necks helping them selves to things on my property, or just simply snooping around when I'm not there.

Due to this, I have recently purchased a digital camera that runs off a 9volt battery. It takes a photo when motion is detected with the inbuilt motion sensor, and saves the image on to an SD card. Works an absolute treat for my intentions. However, the 9volt battery only has a life span of about 7 hours.

I need to have the camera continually running while i am away from the property (sometimes up to 1 month). I was considering hooking a solar panel directly to my 7aH 12volt battery, reducing the voltage down to 9v and plugging straight into the camera.

Will this work?

I currently have a 1.5 watt solar panel that i intend on using for the project, will this have enough guts to keep the battery powered? (this panel will get maximum exposure to queensland sunlight if that makes a difference)

If not, can you please tell me the best possible way of achieving my outcome.

Appreciate your help,
here are the below specifications of my camera.

Imaging Sensor: 1/ 4" Color CMOS sensor
Lens: F2.0/f3.6(4G+IR) pinhole
Resolution: 640H x 480V (4:3)
Responsively: 1.9V/lux-sec(550nm)
Dynamic Range: 60dB
S/N Ratio: 45dB
White Balance: Automatic
Exposure: Automatic
USB: 30 frames per-second
Power Supply: 8~14VDC
Current Consumption: Standby@12V~50mA
Max.(Alarm)@12V~50mA
Operating Temperature: 14°F ~140°F / -10°C ~ 60°C
Fire Protection: ABS plastic housing

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 02:38pm 04 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Ashton
I have a few sealed lead acid rechargable batteries here that you are welcome to . The only problem I thing of is these 'snoopers" will take the camera also in time ?.
Anyhow if you wish you pick up these batts and get yourself a fairly decent solar panel and regulator ..

I'm down Mt.Tamborine way

Bruce
Bushboy

sPuDd

Posted: 07:35am 05 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hide the camera unit as part of a tree or natural
feature. Even the solar panels can be hidden just by
setting the angle right with respect to the subjects
view angle.

Mate has quite a well setup rural propery with sheds
and machinery. It has a networked security & CCTV system
with digital recording & 12+ cameras. But when you spend
years working to buy & build your home, it only takes one
scum bag to put a bad taste in your mouth. So the money
spent protecting it is just considered insurance cost.

I know how you feel ashton,

sPuDd..

It should work ...in theory

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 09:16am 05 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Allo Aston,
Welcome to the forum mate like I said in the private PM in electrotech the backshed forum has a heap of guys willing to help so feel free to ask away on anything RE related. Now I'm hedging my bets here and guessing you'll be building your first wind genny by september

Cheers Bryan

ashton86

Posted: 09:44am 05 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan1 said   Allo Aston,
Welcome to the forum mate like I said in the private PM in electrotech the backshed forum has a heap of guys willing to help so feel free to ask away on anything RE related. Now I'm hedging my bets here and guessing you'll be building your first wind genny by september

Cheers Bryan

Hopefully sooner Bryan! :)
Already all this stuff has taken over my thoughts, becoming obsessed! ha..

ashton86

Posted: 12:51pm 06 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gday Everyone,

Thanks for your help.
Please take a look at the attached photos of my rig so far. I have the camera powered by a 7aH battery that is charged by 2 x solar panels (100mA each).

I understand that these panels are probably under powered for the drain of the camera, but at this stage i am unable to get my hands on anything bigger before my next visit.

Given that the 7aH battery is at full capacity, and the solar panels are receiving maximum sunlight each day, how long could i expect this camera to still function before draining the battery dead? I need it to go for at least 2 weeks!!! (am i wasting my time?)

There is no regulator to prevent over charging/discharging apart from the built in diode in the solar panels.

Have i wired this up correctly? if not could someone give me the right way of setting this up..

Cheers,
Ashton

Here are the specifications of the camera again:

Imaging Sensor: 1/ 4" Color CMOS sensor
Lens: F2.0/f3.6(4G+IR) pinhole
Resolution: 640H x 480V (4:3)
Responsively: 1.9V/lux-sec(550nm)
Dynamic Range: 60dB
S/N Ratio: 45dB
White Balance: Automatic
Exposure: Automatic
USB: 30 frames per-second
Power Supply: 8~14VDC
Current Consumption: Standby@12V~50mA
Max.(Alarm)@12V~50mA
Operating Temperature: 14°F ~140°F / -10°C ~ 60°C
Fire Protection: ABS plastic housing

RossW
Guru

Posted: 08:49pm 18 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Probably a little late... but better late than never.

I think 1.5W will be way too small, even if you get 12 hours of usable sunshine (you won't) thats less than 0.7 watts to play with over a 24 hour period (including battery losses)

I run a camera and weatherstation at a remote site, connected to the global internet via wireless (microwave). It's been running now for nearly 6 years. The early days were difficult, trying to get the power budget balanced.

http://skycam.albury.net.au/
http://weather.albury.net.au/

The camera is a pan/tilt/zoom unit with 26x optical zoom, and can be remotely controlled. Very handy when you're not there and want to "look at" things happening.

(Be warned - they're expensive, and unless you take extreme measures, likely to be smashed or stolen)

If you want more info, just ask.

petanque don

Posted: 12:52am 19 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It is sad that there are thieves about.

Have to discussed with the police what evidence you would need to ensure a conviction?

While the video may confirm your suspicions I would imagine that unless certain procedures are followed the chance of recovering your gear and getting a conviction are slim.

After all the camera won’t stop them thieving it will only give evidence to you and the police.

What evidence do the police need before they are prepared to act?

Having done a rough calculation I would guess that the battery would run the camera for about 12 days and the solar cells would extend this by about an equal amount for every hour of full sunshine per day so this should run for about two weeks.

How are you going to record the data from the camera?

Edited by petanque don 2008-02-20

martinjsto

Posted: 01:08pm 19 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

its depressing to here these stories, i feel for you ashton
as a land owner in S/W west ausie and living in perth.
i have been lucky to date, touch lots and lots of wood.
i can only visit from fourtnight or monthly also and have lots of personel stuff there not just farm gear.
i personaly might just buy starving dogs and let them run free to eat *&%$#*&.
sory about that....NOT
else every time we go down ther we shoot lots of 30/30 and shotguns off and when the weather permits we blow up things, lots of noise and let them know you have a big gun.
on a seriouse note let your neibours know when your away, we have found most are in the same situation and dont mind helping out by keeping an eye on things. the suveylance is definatly posible and you can also wire up vidio direct to your home computer. there is a large farm down here that can watch there cattle feed and drink and can turn on and off water etc. if your at work you just log on and can call the cops if you see someone.
cost is the thing, might be a new project to do as cheep as poss
chin up and good work m8
martin

free power for all
McAlinden WA

skipdh

Posted: 12:17am 15 Mar 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

We actually got robbed about a year ago. To cut a long story short, we recovered most of our stuff (about $8k worth of gear). We were very lucky, it was one of our neighbours, whom has been charged with the offence.

To my surprise they didn't steal my solar stuff. I think this was because I mounted the panel flat on the roof so it is a bit hard to see.

Anyway, I am interested in what the photo quality is like. I think the swann private eye might work for me too!!

Kind Regards

Skipdh

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024