Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:37 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : New charge controller

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 08:48am 26 Mar 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hiya Guy's
Well after studying Amanda's LM3914 charge controller schematics for months I built a cut down version of circuit 1. Basically the first led comes on @24 volts then each led lights up in 1/2 volt increments and when the batteries hit 27.5 volts the first dumpload starts. Likewise when the batteries hit 28 and 28.5 volts 2 more dumploads start. My first dumpload will be about 2 amps, second 4 amps and the third 8 amps. The dumpload board is based on the TC4469 fet driver on 12 volts as my controller boards works on 5 volts I needed a minumuim of 10 volts to drive the fets on hard. All the credit goes to Amanda and as far as an effective analogue controller this baby has to rate very highly.

This is the LM3914 circuit

This is the dumpload circuit

Cheers Bryan

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 09:37am 10 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well Guy's last weekend I got to install that dumpload controller and tonight I checked it and it's working perfect. When I installed it I turned everything off and made sure the the dumpload started at 27.5 volts and sure enough as it was sunny I got a hiss from the radio everytime the dumpload connected. currently I only have my 4 amp dumpload connected and after near a week of no shed activity the batteries are sitting on 27 volts and the dumpload was still warm @ 6.30 pm just on dark when I checked it. Sure it's only a analogue controller but I'm positive it will work for years with only the dumpload load to be refined.

As I put this thread up it seem awhile ago and I hope I haven't trod on any feet with this simple but efficitive controller as I aint had a reply.

Cheers Bryan

Gill

Posted: 12:27pm 11 Apr 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Brian,
I seem to have missed Amanda's circuit. Will have to do a search for it. Good to hear you're getting a most satisfactory performance. I know I get a buzz when a project comes together.

That sticker with the voltages scribbled on it ruins the presentation though. Perhaps that one's just for assembly? That type of plastic can be a bitch to label so on one project I drew up a label, printed it out then laminated it and glued it over the face. Not super professional yet served the purpose.

I like you're processor fan cooling for the MOSFET's. Neat and compact. I'm sure you'll get years of reliable service. Simple sound designs seem to go forever. Well Done.

was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

martinjsto

Posted: 04:18am 11 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

did you find the circuit gill?
i would like to see it, i searched for amanda but could not find anyone with that user name could you post a link if you find it, else, if bryan1 wouldnt mind posting a link it would be apreciated

thanks martin
free power for all
McAlinden WA

Gill

Posted: 05:14am 11 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sure martin,
Here are the forum posts where all is revealed to us mere mortals of the circuit design:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/6/1/84528/29208
http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/6/22/04750/5496
http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/7/21/93147/7405

Links to the PDF files are provided there.

Amanda is his name, commanda is his forum user name, and he lists his email as: alwynne at unwired dot com dot au
(anti spam corrections needed)

Good luck with it.

Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

martinjsto

Posted: 11:01am 12 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thanks gill, i looked at the pages but some links on the web pages only showed up as a series on numbers, are they pdf's?.
if so i must have a problem with adobe reader.
i did get the circuit for the first board but thats all
i will try to email him/her for the diagrams as it looks like a good controler
i have built the ones from oatley electronics and the other listed on this forum, both work quite well but i like to tinker.
thanks again
martin

free power for all
McAlinden WA

martinjsto

Posted: 11:02am 12 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thanks bryan1 for the info and for finding the design
good work
martin
free power for all
McAlinden WA

Gill

Posted: 11:30am 12 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

martin,
I suspect those links that come up as a series of numbers are Autotrax files. This is the CAD (computer aided design) programme for electronics that Amanda uses. I can't recall if it is freeware but I think I had a copy of a DOS version of Autotrax (and I use all free software). However the DOS version may be out of date and not show files with more advanced features. You'll have to check that one out I'm afraid.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024