Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:35 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Low energy appliances induction cooker

yahoo2

Guru

Posted: 01:30am 21 Aug 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In the time it took me to grab my camera and take this photo this induction cooktop was already burning these frozen vegetables with the control set on 1200 watts, maybe 15 seconds, 20 seconds.

with it cranked all the way up to 2200 watts it will damn near burn water.

And that is what has really surprised me, I was prepared for it to break and stop working and I was prepared for it to struggle to heat a big pan, I wasn't prepared to have stuff instantly burn the second I stopped moving it around. There lies the problem, this little cooktop has 8 power settings and so far I have only been able to use two of them

400watts and 800watts.

the 100 watt setting is too hot for a gentle simmer with a lid on and it is too cold with the lid off.

The other 5 high power settings need a pan with poor induction to waste some power and dampen the heat down. That is essentially why these things dont work, a good cooktop is infinitely variable or at least has enough graduation to seem like it is.

I have noticed that the restaurant grade portable induction units are very similar to a laboratory hotplate, they are dual mode, they have very fine power control AND they have a pair of thermocouples to cook by temperature
one senses the bottom of the pan and the other can be placed in the top and these I suspect are driven by some PID thermometer code. The are also over $1000 bucks!

So these things may be technically more energy efficient than an electric hob stove but there are other ways of cooking that can do a lot better. I might try it with an induction wok and see what it does with that.

I'm confused, no wait... maybe I'm not...

Alastair

Posted: 01:09pm 30 Sep 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When we built our truck based expedition vehicle (motorhome) I decided to not use gas except for an outside portable bbq. We have 320AH of LiFePO4 batteries, 600W of solar, chest electric fridge/freezer, a link to the truck alternator when travelling and a 3kw sine wave inverter. I am not going to have a generator onboard, even though we own one, as I can't see the need.

Cooking is done with a 2000w max induction hot plate, small microwave, electric jug and the bbq. All works great. I will soon have a micro switching the excess solar power to the hot water unit when the house batteries are full.

Much nicer to use and no need for gas fitters, fume detectors and vents to let dust in.

Cheers, Alastair

Homegrow47

Posted: 12:08am 01 Oct 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yahoo2 said  
So these things may be technically more energy efficient than an electric hob stove

I really doubt if they are much more efficient.
I did a lot of googling on their true efficiency recently and of course there is a lot of advertising spiel from the sellers of induction cookers.

But reputable scientific testing doesn't seem to back this up.

I believe they are about the same efficiency as the resistance coil.

Edited by Homegrow47 2017-10-02

Alastair

Posted: 10:05am 01 Oct 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Without knowing more about what the actual lab tests did it is hard to comment.

In our last house we had a conventional electric hotplate cook top. When you put a pot of water on to heat there was a lot of heat radiated from the hot element and there was the additional step of the heat transfer from the element to the pan. In our new place we have a 4 zone induction cooktop. The heat is obviously generated directly in the base of the saucepan and the end result is the contents heat amazingly quickly.

From a practical point of view the heat lost from a conventional hot plate is far greater as you have a hot plate glowing red hot, radiating in all directions. In the induction case the heat is generated where you want it - in the pot. The cooker surrounds are only hot - boiling water hot - directly on the contact point.

The speed of water from cold to boiling in the saucepan suggests that the induction unit is better than a conventional cooktop.

Cheers, Alastair

Homegrow47

Posted: 08:17pm 15 Oct 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry Alastair I missed the email update for this thread.

This is an interesting experimental comparison -

DEBUNKING THE MYTH THAT INDUCTION IS MORE EFFICIENT THAN ELECTRIC COIL

Seems like for extended cooking, coil is more efficient,
whereas induction is faster and more efficient than coil for quick cooking tasks.

Quote  efficiency isn’t everything. Induction still means quicker response, faster heating for short tasks, more accurate temperature target and timer controls, easier cleanup, and better safety since the glass doesn’t heat up as much as the coil.

On the other hand, coil is usually much cheaper and works with all type of cookware (not just those with magnetic bottoms).

I think coils would be more economic overall because they are so simple and seem to last me decades,
compared to the complex electronics of induction.

Edited by Homegrow47 2017-10-17

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 09:46am 28 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Revival....

I've had this theread in mind for the past 4 weeks.

MrsC has had an induction plate floating about in the back of her car for that period intending to take it back (needed conventional).

Sat there pending my interest & approval.

Pulled it out today & gave it a try & totally impressed.
Heat control is smooth & instantaneous.
Cooked tonight's savory mince in it & simmered for a good hour.

Used just a heavy based non-stick frying pan.

It is a Contempo Brand thing from Target of all places...
(hence my initial disinterest).

Has a Temp Mode & Watts Mode.
60 to dunno temp & 200 to 1600W.

Simmered the mince for the last hour at 200W & it hit the mark just fine.
Changing to temp mode even at 60°C though was much hotter than the 200W setting.

Cheers.

Edit:- Goes from 200 to 1600W in 200W increments.
Temp in 20°C steps, but boils water well below 100 in the pan that I tried.Edited by Phil23 2019-04-29

Ralph2k6

Posted: 12:55am 29 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the update. I've dealt with some induction gear years ago when I worked at Miele for a year. Loved the gear but too many $$.
Birthday coming up so maybe the missus will have to get me one of these comtempo cheapies.
Ralph

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 07:58am 29 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I bought a SOGA brand 2 pot induction cooker after they were mentioned above. Its very basic, 4 power steps (1600W to 120W), the temperature & timer controls I gave up trying to figure out, the thing cooks so fast anyway so got to watch it.

It sits on an alu shelf over the gas cooker. The gas cooker is no longer used, the induction is sooo much better. Just needed to replace one large pan as it had an aluminium base
Klaus

Ralph2k6

Posted: 12:21pm 09 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Got one of the Contempo cheap 2000w induction standalone cooktops.
Wow, I am impressed. Actually sizzled some diced steak which the side gas burner (which is 12.9Mj/hr) only basically has ever broiled.
Unit is a bit noisy, likely the budget electronics but if it lasts then great for the $
Ralph

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 02:03pm 09 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Agree, the fans on the cheap ones are noisy but I found it bearable with that short cooking time.
Klaus

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024