Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:51 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : High voltage fun.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:44am 18 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guys.

Just for the fun of it.

Over the weekend I built a Wimshurst machine. A Wimshurst machine is what we call a static generator, like a Van-de-graf generator. I've wanted to make one for years.
Last week I lasercut most of the bits from scrap material. The segments are stainless steel, the discs are 4.5mm acrylic, about 260mm diameter, and the frame and pulleys are timber. It all came together last night, and it worked first time!

This thing is so cool. Sparks over 2 inches long, with some tuning I should get much longer. I have lots of "leaks", or sharp corners that ionize the surrounding air and glow blue! I need to round these off or fit steel balls. Steel balls ( or copper, brass, etc ) dont have any sharp corners, so dont leak the high voltage.

I made a Leyden jar from a coffee jar and some brass shim material. The Leyden jar is just a big high voltage capacitor. Without the jar the machine makes a constant stream of fine blue sparks across the electrodes ( in the dark you can see blue discharges all over the machine, and hear the static ). With the jar connected it sparks every second or two, with a very loud and bright "crack!"

Jolly good fun

This is a short movie of the machine running.2008-05-18_184141_wimshurst.zip

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

permaclutter

Posted: 03:00am 25 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very cool

Hopefully this might inspire me to finish the one that is hanging round my shed.
Neoprene o rings for belts ?
What version/style of machine is it?
What do you recon it would cost to get my local laser cutters to cut the bits out if i could pinch your drawings?
Oh dear now ive got distracted from the bikes tractors cars and house that i should be building, again.
And I am happy about it, go figure.
Lyn

Don B

Posted: 08:53am 27 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,

It might be of interest to know that, with high voltage switchgear, points of high electrical stress are dealt with by using conductive putty moulded to smooth the sharp corners. I guess that some Alfoil over clay, or whatever, would work just as well.

Regards

Don B
Don B

martinjsto

Posted: 11:58am 04 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

how would this go if you linked the output to a car ignition coil ht output(main center ht lead) and then tested the pos and neg pols for 12vdc output running the coil in reverse for charging
just a thought
martin
free power for all
McAlinden WA

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024