Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:09 30 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : motorized linear pot

isochronic
Guru

Posted: 01:10am 15 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A curiosity ..
These look really nifty - I gather they are used in sound mixer desks etc. Been trying hard to design one into a project but haven't got there yet any thoughts ?

LadyN

Guru

Posted: 01:25am 15 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you want to sense position, RS232/UART capable digital calipers are available for a few dollars - single digits.

So you could get a dozen of those for one of these .

Unless the feel of a linear pot was needed - but then why motorize it?

On that page, they propose a usecase of interfacing to hardware you cannot/dont want to modify - in that case, a digital caliper based solution would still be cheaper and better (precision).

Feels like a solution looking for a problem.

Looks cool though.

isochronic
Guru

Posted: 09:35am 15 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The (video of a) mixer console I saw, showed all the sliders moving back to preset or stored settings. Definitely a pre LCD-and-cheap-micro design !

They are a bit lightweight. Good for a simple no-screen interface or haptic feedback maybe. (Guess who still hates touchscreens )

ed - the budget calipers report changes in movement not absolute values - and the rs-232 has to be monitored for each change - so it can get complex quickly.Edited by chronic 2019-06-16

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 03:03am 16 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Also now used on some domestic appliances such as space heaters, stereos, or air conditioners, where you can either make an adjustment at the appliance, or use a hand held remote.

There have been rotary versions of these around for quite a while.

Another interesting component to play with, are the servos used in model radio control. these are now low cost enough to use for all kinds of applications, including moving a potentiometer. Some of these servos are quite fast acting and powerful.Edited by Warpspeed 2019-06-17
Cheers,  Tony.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024