Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:05 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : 4G WiFi Dongle, how to get SMS/email alarms pushed to mobile?

domwild
Guru

Posted: 09:18am 11 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

The Whirlpool communications web site does not seem to accept this valid question, so I must turn to my other friends to help me out:

Internet comes in via 4G and I am thinking of buying an alarm system now after a burglary (!), which then also has a 4G SIM card spot in the command box, which is hooked up to 240VAC. My wingle talks WiFi and the system is supposed to also talk WiFi.

In this case and without a PC running as some sort of an intermediary, how would a sensor at, e.g., a window talk to the command box and then to my mobile via 4G with an SMS or email or both?

I take it the supplier must also give me a link to an app to set the system up for comms, but is there anything else I need to ensure I must get? Of the alphabet soup in the form of TCP/IP, etc., do I have to watch out for something that might be missing?

The specs of alarm systems are in Chinglish as a drawback. Thanks.
Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

davef
Guru

Posted: 07:56am 15 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Domwild,

I use AussieSMS's email2SMS to send alarms to my cell phone.  At the remote end up I have a RaspberryPI send an email to AussieSMS via a 3G wingle.

Dave

domwild
Guru

Posted: 10:12pm 17 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, Dave for help. I will not build my own system with a RaspberryPI and am wondering also if software similar to email2SMS is available in Chinese systems to push SMS/emails?
Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

davef
Guru

Posted: 06:45pm 28 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What do you mean by "in Chinese systems"?  A uP, say a ATmega88 or STM32 sending AT commands to the WiFi dongle over USB should be doable.

Teensy serial Teensy serial I have played with.  Not that I'd suggesting using Hologram Hologram but they have a lot of information on how to talk to various WiFi dongles.

Good luck!

domwild
Guru

Posted: 11:31pm 03 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, Dave for help. I have a few Picaxes floating around, so I might be able to build it myself.

With "Chinese systems" I mean PIRs and battery-driven "window breakage sensors", etc., all reasonably cheap to buy.

Thanks for links. I hope I can find complete hardware/software solutions as done projects as I am more of a software person and do not have a black belt in electrickery!

Winston Churchill

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024