Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:52 16 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : The best piano trick I have ever seen....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:50am 07 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh....my....God.....

PIANO TRICK!

Edit: Fixed link.
Edited 2020-01-07 17:51 by Grogster
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:11am 07 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Brendan is well known for his setups which are often staged (like when the security guards try to enforce the "no play") but I applaud his attempts to get it "out there" and get people to enjoy themselves more in the mundanity of life.

you might like this documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKKorSEE6LU

It was started with an art project to put refurbished s/hand pianos in public places and see what happened. A lot of stations, airprts and public places have become endowed with them. You get a lot of great stuff from jazz to classical to Brendan and Henri Herbert (pronounced "onree airbair") playing very lively BW back in 2013. This famous one (and probably the spawn point for all such ?) from London's St.Pancras (international train station) which was with an established musician travelling back to mainland Europe after a gig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0nDhQEIdSQ

A lot of the time they just get kids plonking about but, hey, Beethoven pressed a single key with no clue once.

I never got on with any instrument... and I rue it. With a keyboard I never seemed to be accurate enough and my hands just started mirroring each other  after a while. Obviously my calling lay along another path... still looking  

I really like these impromptu performances by talented musicians - people are all hiding secrets!

I love this one - some might see it as disrespectful but I best it is the most joyful tune that 300 year old church organ has ever turned out (and so much better that the original   )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLEJpHiAvk4
Edited 2020-01-07 19:55 by CaptainBoing

Ralph2k6

Posted: 02:46am 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for putting up the links, some amazing skills on show there.
Ralph

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:42am 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Agreed.

Re: "I never got on with any instrument...", yeah I hear that.  I always loved the drums, and DID actually do lessons in my teenage years, but for reasons I totally forget, I gave it up.  I keep thinking I should buy myself a kit and get back into it.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:12am 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   I always loved the drums, and DID actually do lessons in my teenage years, but for reasons I totally forget, I gave it up.  I keep thinking I should buy myself a kit and get back into it.

A high bar! Drums (as in a set used in a rock band etc) are arguably the most technical of all the instruments and often least appreciated.

I will share with you, the track where "something" ignited and I became aware for the first time of my musical preferences. I was just eight years old when this gem was released and it did something inside of me. Stunning "middle eight" and  Ian Paice's frenetic drumming (esp. at around three minutes) is just mental. He used to lose 4 pounds on a live set purely due to sweating pints.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q88koeaqrEg

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:36am 08 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Grogs.

Started watching late last night (Tuesday) & a hour & a half later, I thought I'd better get some sleep. Great stuff.

As an aside, I saw a movie this arvo on TV (Trailer on the link) about Orion who had a voice & characteristics almost identical to Elvis.

I'd never heard of him before. He had an interesting life.

Came into more prominence after the King's death.

Lots of stuff on YouTube of course.

Brian
ChopperP

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:39am 09 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yea, love Ian Paice's drumming.  Also love Tommy from Motley Crue - he's a good drummer.  But I have pretty much all the Deep Purple, so really love that hard-rock stuff.

A couple of great drummers that we lost were John Bonham, and Keith Moon...both brilliant drummers before they drank themselves to death - literally.

If you can, get yourself a copy of HEAVY METAL - LOUDER THEN LIFE.
This is a brilliant doco and has interviews with all sorts of awesome characters, including Ian Paice.  YouTube have bits of it, but not the whole thing.

Well, someone HAS uploaded the whole doco, but without sound!!!!
THAT'S a nutty thing to do.  Without the sound, what's the point? (rhetorical)

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 07:30am 09 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  
If you can, get yourself a copy of HEAVY METAL - LOUDER THEN LIFE.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll see if I can track it down.

cheers

h

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024