Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:26 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Edit times and file formats used

tytower

Posted: 10:16pm 24 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Complaint
Your edit cutoff is too short !  I add to my posts and edit them to complete them and keep all the info in a coordinated manner . Making the edit unavailable after a few minutes is stupid and I wonder what you hope to achieve by that .Have you thought it through or just accepted some other forums practice .?

EDIT...Maybe you do it on the number of times its edited? If so can you lengthen that some please. I just successfully edited an old post so it must be on number of edits.

PDF or zip only and I don't have it in those formats and I don't use windows I use Linux.  Why the restrictions on file types? Following another forums lead again ?

Open it up a bit and try things .If somebody wants to spam you they can do it in what's available now anyway . Paranoia has set in it seems.

Sure I've said this before , dejavu.
Edited 2020-02-25 08:27 by tytower

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:41pm 24 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Edit is unavailable once someone replies to your post. That's because they replied to your original post, if you change it, their reply may not make sense.

PDF and ZIP files are safer, and industry standards for sending documents and compressing files.

I'll refund your membership fee as soon as my paranoia has settled down.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:06am 25 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, that has been standard practise on the forums here for years now, and I do think it is a good idea.  Otherwise, people can(and DO on other forums) go back and edit what they said, then claim the following posts by other members are lies and that they never wrote that.

MUCH better to lock it the way Gizmo does now, and if you need to update, just add another follow-up post.  I personally like that idea, and I hope I am not the only one.

I would be extremely surprised if there was no packages for Linux to allow you to make PDF or ZIP files, so uploading those from Linux should not be an issue.  I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if Linux did not have some kind of app to make those formats.  ZIP and PDF are common to just about everything, so I expect that is why those formats are supported, but Gizmo will clarify on that if he feels he needs to.

As a new member, it would be advisable to drop the attitude - or use plenty of smilies so we know if you are posting tongue-in-cheek or not, cos your post reads as rather arrogant without knowing what your feelings are exactly.  Welcome to the forums anyway.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 02:23am 25 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As an old Linux user it came as no surprise to me that you can create PDF and ZIP files in Linux.

Zip for Linux: https://itsfoss.com/linux-zip-folder/
PDF for Linux: https://vitux.com/how-to-create-and-edit-pdf-files-in-ubuntu/

Just out of curiosity, what format would you prefer?

As for editing after a post has been replied to, that seems pretty reasonable to me.

tytower

Posted: 04:19am 25 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  Edit is unavailable once someone replies to your post. That's because they replied to your original post, if you change it, their reply may not make sense.

PDF and ZIP files are safer, and industry standards for sending documents and compressing files.

I'll refund your membership fee as soon as my paranoia has settled down.

Ive said this before too.
Getting your post right is far more important to the threads understanding than trying to clarify it down the road a way .If it gets changed that's no big deal and if a responder is concerned about that ,that is what the "Quote" button is for isn't it?

People post incorrect references .url's and data etc and if someone jumps in for a quick response well there goes the edit button it seems. 6 of one and half a dozen of the other I suppose but worth a discussion none the less.

With pdf and zip files it takes time to convert normal files into each format if it can be done. To do a pdf I must download a 200Mb program like libre Office or Free office and hope it will read my format and save it as a pdf. Lotta work for me as my distro lives on an 8GB usb stick. Micro soft hhas been waging a war on Linux since its inception and it is just more sophisticated now. Use xacrchiver to create a zip file and most windows machines cant read it . Lotta messing around all round . Whats the problem with excell or doc or word files anyway .

make sure the membership fee is in cash , no cheques.
Edited 2020-02-25 14:28 by tytower

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 04:34am 25 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe you should start your own Forum Somewhere else ?
Cheers,  Tony.

tytower

Posted: 11:44pm 25 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I see you got caught too . ?

Perhaps I should consider you "arrogant" too hey? You are a cheeky sod.
That's a pretty cheeky statement above. Is it necessary and helpful?
I don't understand why you feel the need to post that here?

Reckon I stepped on your toes somewhat and you don't like that do you. I see your circuit in there and its very much the same design as that opera circuit I posted ...however in your armchair...

Quote   breadboarded it and bench tested it, but have neither a suitable high voltage solar source, or hot water heater tank to test the whole thing in its final configuration.

I did build a 24v mini version working into a four ohm resistive load, with a single 250W solar panel, and that worked exactly as expected.Well then!

No circuit board though.

Quote  I never actually built one and have no need, as all my hot water comes from very low cost natural gas. I did this as a service for other Forum members.  Its a perfectly sound design and will definitely work.

Yeh sure.Two posts in the same thread conflicting?
Edited 2020-02-26 10:18 by tytower

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:51am 26 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Some people dont learn.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 02:54am 26 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I built and tested a tiny experimental version with a single solar panel for proof of concept testing and some measurements.

No, I never built anything larger that actually heated huge amounts of hot water. I have no use for such a thing, which is why I never bothered with a circuit board or taking the idea any further.

Not conflicting.  
If you do not understand the difference between a bench top experiment, and a fully completed project, you must be pretty new to electronics.
Cheers,  Tony.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 04:12am 26 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

tytower said  I see you got caught too . ?

Perhaps I should consider you "arrogant" too hey? You are a cheeky sod.
That's a pretty cheeky statement above. Is it necessary and helpful?
I don't understand why you feel the need to post that here?  

Are you talking about your own posts because what you are asking others applies more to yourself than anyone else here I have seen. The Hypocrisy is incredible.

Quote  Reckon I stepped on your toes somewhat and you don't like that do you.

I reckon you have been a rude, belligerent Pryck and no, people naturally enough don't like that.

You sure are hell bent on pissing people off here for some inexplicable reason.... Are you unwell?

Time to just go away I think.
I sure don't understand why YOU feel the need to post what you have here multiple times but I sense it's about to stop shortly one way or the other.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:51pm 26 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I sense Gizmo's finger hovering over the "Ban member" button in the admin utility...

Not really making much of an impression for a new member.  

@ tytower: I IMPLORE you to change your attitude towards the forum and its members here, or Gizmo's hammer will come down upon your membership.  If I may speculate, you are on thin ice at this point if you maintain that chip on your shoulder.  
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 02:07am 27 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

SimpleSafeName said  As for editing after a post has been replied to, that seems pretty reasonable to me.

As I re-read my post, I see that I got it wrong.

How I should have put it: "Not being allowed to edit after a post has been replied to seems pretty reasonable to me.".

So much for my powers of proofreading...

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024