Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:37 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Photo's

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 10:54pm 02 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have an I-Pad with all my photos on and I'm having operator ignorance with compressing my pics to attach to my posts-so therefore ,recently, I've given up and "do something else-that this old geeser knows how." (shame really ,because I really enjoy posting photos and talking to you guys.)

I've bought the iPad for idiots book, but nowhere in that book is a subject called "resize your pics" , unbelievable !!!.
Also my photo of my panel says it's 590 mb or something like that and when I did find a "thingo" to make it smaller ,it only goes down to 200mb or something like that ? I think the backshed only allow's 10 mb ?

Anyhow, can someone give me a step-by-step instruction on how to "resize" a pic to include in my post-I know,,, you have done it a hundred times before ,but I'm dense in the brain dept.

Thanks

Bruce
Bushboy

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:12pm 02 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

To give you an idea, once the photo it uploaded and resized by the forum, its typically less than 150k ( 150,000 ). The upload limit is 20M ( 20,000,000 ).

Photo file size from digital cameras and especially tablets and phones is a problem. The default settings take ridiculously large files.

I dont use apple products anymore, so cant help with how to resize. I did a quick google and the suggested method is to email the photo to yourself, and the app will resize the image before emailing, which seams like a silly way to resize images. So I'll leave it up to the apple users to help with that one.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 11:29pm 02 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Glenn.

That last method seems to be something I could do !!!.

Thanks for explaining about how it works for the forum.

I'll get there, just a lot slower these days,lol.

On a "thank-You" note,  I was really sorry for you and the nice forum guys that had to put up with that "Bloke" .

50 years ago ,we would have "educated" him out the back of the beer-garden ,these days you can't do that .

Thank you

Bruce
Bushboy

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 01:38am 03 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My default trick is to bring up the pic in Paint, take a screenshot, and then paste the screenshot over the original. Then save the picture under a different name and post that.

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 02:33am 03 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

/Users/bruce/Desktop/IMG_0717.jpg
  /Users/bruce/Desktop/IMG_1184.JPG

Well, I stuffed that up !.  Someone may be smart enough to make them into pictures.

Close your eyes if my operation offends you . I might add it was not nice for me also- make sure you and your kids always wear a hat outside.

The control panel is nearly finished , have to buy a MPPT controller for the particular panels I'm using. Tracker is 1.8 Kw and the other array will be 1.5Kw.

A bit more on that later, I'm still in recovery mode from the hospital ,so can't play with my toys for a week or so.

Bruce
Edited 2020-03-03 12:35 by brucedownunder2
Bushboy

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:11am 03 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

brucedownunder2 said   On a "thank-You" note,  I was really sorry for you and the nice forum guys that had to put up with that "Bloke" .

50 years ago ,we would have "educated" him out the back of the beer-garden ,these days you can't do that .

Thank you

Bruce

Yeah, in some ways, that was a shame.  If he had just dropped the attitude, he could have learnt a lot here, and we in turn, may have learnt something from him.  However, it takes all sorts to make a world, and unfortunately some of them......enough said.

I know you are on a pad, but I use Ifanview for ALL my photo work, including cropping, resizing and resaving.  Perhaps it is a Windoze pad?

Ifanview  

It is free, and there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions.  It also has several useful features like batch-rename and batch-resize, along with some simple but effective picture editing tools.  The included(separate application) thumbnail viewer is also very useful for quickly finding a photo by simply visually identifying it.

OPTIONS/SET AS WALLPAPER is a very useful little feature you can use to make any image you like, the desktop wallpaper without having to think about how to do it.

CTRL-R will open the resize window, and you can resize any image to whatever you want in there.  Lots of other features.

Used this for years and years now.

Our recent 'Bloke' would have had BIG issues with my posting that, cos it was not SPECIFIC enough to your issue.  Thankfully, we don't have to worry about his snotty posts anymore.  

EDIT: Fix link.
Edited 2020-03-03 15:14 by Grogster
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:42am 07 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

SimpleSafeName said  My default trick is to bring up the pic in Paint, take a screenshot, and then paste the screenshot over the original. Then save the picture under a different name and post that.

I use the "Resize" (by percentage) feature in Paint, usually 25% which reduces the file size to ~1/16th of original. (or even 20% for larger files). Save to a different file name or directory of course.

Quick & easy if the files can be uploaded into Windows....

My wife, who uses her iPad for taking photos, just emails them to herself as has been suggested elsewhere.

I mostly use a direct USB connection for my Android devices.

Brian
ChopperP

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:43am 07 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

SimpleSafeName said  My default trick is to bring up the pic in Paint, take a screenshot, and then paste the screenshot over the original. Then save the picture under a different name and post that.

I use the "Resize" (by percentage) feature in Paint, usually 25% which reduces the file size to ~1/16th of original. (or even 20% for larger files). Save to a different file name or directory of course.

My wife, who uses her iPad for taking photos, just emails them to herself as has been suggested elsewhere.

Brian
ChopperP

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:43am 07 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Brian
ChopperP

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:45am 07 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Brian

Brian
ChopperP

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:46am 07 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Brian

Brian
ChopperP

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:50am 07 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry about the multiple posts.

The system was coming up with an error on Save Post
Tried a few things but eventually gave up & found that the messages were actually posted.

(I'm really not trying to catch up with Grogster!!!)

Brian

Fatal error: Uncaught PDOException: SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's
Author :Chopperp

Sorry about the multiple posts.' at line 1 in C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\PostMessage.php:77 Stack trace: #0 C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\PostMessage.php(77): PDO->exec('insert into ema...') #1 {main} thrown in C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\PostMessage.php on line 77

Did it again  but edited message posted!!!!!
Edited 2020-03-07 21:51 by Chopperp
ChopperP

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024