Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:43 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : The generation gap when applying for a job....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:09am 25 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is excellent.....

LINK
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:52am 25 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yep. very good.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 12:30pm 25 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

While obviously satire, it is scarily close to what I have been told by My wife and friends whom are managers in the way some of the younger ones act and their outlook.

Just this week my 5ft nothing wife was accused by a 23yo 6ft6 Fitness junkie guy of intimidating and making him feel harassed.

Apparently both the HR person whom knows her well and her boss laughed when they heard the accusations but of course had to take them seriously.
The upshot was when interviewed, the guy did not like being asked by my wife privately with no one else around was everything OK as he has barely shown up on time in the 6 weeks he has been there and felt my wifes asking him if there was a problem was an invasion of his privacy and made him felt threatened.  
I'm not kidding.

HR lady had to sit with him ( and a support person) and explain that it was a requirement of his employment that he was there at the appointed start time every day.
Apparently he expressed he was not entirely comfortable with this Condition  being " forced" on him and felt it was pressuring him.  

The guy is on a 3 month trial. My wife was the decision maker if they kept him on or not being his immediate supervisor. She excused herself from the the decision in light of the accusation.

The HR person and her boss said no problem, he's gone anyway.

I am greatly hoping an upshot of the China flu is the dispensing with all this Touchy feely, PC Bullsh*t and everyone is forced to take a big dose of harden the Fk up and get back to a position of basic sanity.

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 01:59pm 25 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think that I can trace her family tree back to this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncbEucjsNFU

windman1000

Posted: 02:44pm 25 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

the ask seria<= not sure of the spelling cracked me up.
im a industrial machine tech a really old 1 my legs, my back,  my muscles, my eyes and my memory is going.
i was on a job last week and the in house maintenance employee ask me a technical question and i told him that im not sure how to give him the answer, he then pick his phone up and ask seria the same question and seria gave him the answer he look at me and ask what did that mean , i look at him and told him to ask seria.

i should of mention that this same guy asks a million questions and talk talk talk every time i go there and i cant get my work done quickly.
Edited 2020-04-26 03:12 by windman1000

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:58am 26 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Davo99 said  The upshot was when interviewed, the guy did not like being asked by my wife privately with no one else around was everything OK as he has barely shown up on time in the 6 weeks he has been there and felt my wifes asking him if there was a problem was an invasion of his privacy and made him felt threatened.  
I'm not kidding.

HR lady had to sit with him ( and a support person) and explain that it was a requirement of his employment that he was there at the appointed start time every day.
Apparently he expressed he was not entirely comfortable with this Condition  being " forced" on him and felt it was pressuring him.  

The guy is on a 3 month trial. My wife was the decision maker if they kept him on or not being his immediate supervisor. She excused herself from the the decision in light of the accusation.

The HR person and her boss said no problem, he's gone anyway.

I am greatly hoping an upshot of the China flu is the dispensing with all this Touchy feely, PC Bullsh*t and everyone is forced to take a big dose of harden the Fk up and get back to a position of basic sanity.

Yeah, the entitled crowd I think, are in for a SERIOUS wake-up call when the economy gets going again, because NONE of that crap is going to matter to bosses who are trying to get their businesses going again.  I totally agree with your post, and the story you told is rather jaw-dropping.  I completely believe it though.  The very fact that we have to deal with this kind of softie at all, is an insult to anyone who calls themselves a manager.  Genuine complaints etc - that's fine, but this new-age softie crap....  You can't get things done with employees who are soft like that.  Thankfully, there will be MILLIONS of people all over the world who would just love a job again AND still have a work ethic, so they will get the jobs, and the softies will go back to crying on Twatter.

That little video was very well acted though, which is what made it so funny - in a disturbing kind of way.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 04:53am 26 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  

Yeah, the entitled crowd I think, are in for a SERIOUS wake-up call when the economy gets going again, because NONE of that crap is going to matter to bosses who are trying to get their businesses going again.

I used to hear things like this entitlement and see all the PC crap going on and think to myself, when and how will all this end? It cannot continue.  Well the world has had a big Cough and I believe this will bring about the end of it all at least for some time. I think we had things too good and there were too many Fake causes and other things created to give us worries we didn't have.

Now there will be real worries, I think we will rewind 20,30, ?, years to when people had a bit of personal responsibility and honour and no one is going to give a rats arse if some little Snowflakes feelings are hurt.
There will simply be bigger and far more important issues to deal with and a lot of the precious types are going to have to learn to sink or swim.
For so many now this will be a huge and hard slap in the face with a shovel.

I find it amusing and reassuring that even my own 23 Yo daughter and her friends often complain about these precious types. They get hired at her work and straight off carry on about what they will and won't do and how things are going to have to change ( in effect to suit them)and how they don't want to do the work they are hired to do.  Daughter may be a bit too much of chip off the old block and being a top performer at what she does has been given an unofficial management position by her switched on boss. I think he uses her ( in the right way) to kick the backside of these other snowflakes arses without putting his own head on the chopping block.

It's more than clear he has her back, even she says she is the golden child, but she can get away with telling them as a 1:1 employee what they could have the managers proverbials for as a male in a Superior position "intimidating " them. Has has already said to her in not so many words, if she does something wrong his only course of action is to council her which he will do. We both agree being the kind of guy he is, that will probably constitute a long lunch and a chat about where she wants to go for her next OS Holiday. He is a younger guy that has risen through the ranks and was obviously brought up with old fashioned values and a get the job done attitude which he has done well.

Quote   The very fact that we have to deal with this kind of softie at all, is an insult to anyone who calls themselves a manager.

Because there was a complaint, my wife had to have a meeting with HR as well.
They told her they found nothing wrong, on the evidence of the complainant himself she had done everything right and the only issue they could find was the employee didn't like being asked about something my wife was well entitled to ask him about.

When you get big hulking blokes ( fresh out of uni of course) that go on like this, it's a real worry. My wife can't intimidate any one except me and occasionally the dog.

Quote  Genuine complaints etc - that's fine, but this new-age softie crap....  You can't get things done with employees who are soft like that.

So many these days want to dictate what they will and won't do to bosses, just like the princess in the Vid. The clip was not far if at all from reality.

And then of course these types go round complaining there are no jobs available.

When I was a Kid, I went for an interview for a casual job packing shelves in the supermarket in a shirt and tie and my best pants and made sure my shoes were polished. Mate says now they often don't even wear proper shoes for an office job interview he conducts and come like they have been working in the back yard.

Quote  Thankfully, there will be MILLIONS of people all over the world who would just love a job again AND still have a work ethic, so they will get the jobs, and the softies will go back to crying on Twatter.

Exactly.
They are always their own worst enemies but put the blame on everyone else. Always complain about and pick everyone else's faults but never even have the thought to look at themselves let alone consider they may not be perfect.

There is a lot they don't learn these days but so many seem to have doctorates in self entitlement and importance.

Quote  That little video was very well acted though, which is what made it so funny - in a disturbing kind of way.

I have always said the best lies and the Funniest jokes contain as much truth as possible and that was a perfect example.  
I bet if you got a decent group of people together that have done interviews, between them you could find that everything in that vid had been said to someone.

I well remember this Kid I hired once. Only worked for me for 5 Months.
First person that turned up for the interview and I wanted to hire her on the spot. Just something about her and it wasn't looks.
The business manager I worked with happened to ring me towards the end of her interview and when I said I was going to hire her, I was told No, can't do that! Have to see who else turns up.  I was paying her enough so I figured I best take  her high priced advise.

I saw about 5 More people whom some Literally didn't know what the job they were applying for was, and thought Fk this, so I rang the girl back and said start Monday. I remember her thanking me profusely and saying she had been to a lot of interviews in the last couple of weeks but that was the job she was really wanting and hoping to get. We were off to a good start.

I got the impression she came from some sort of troubled home. She was a Fantastic worker, Smart and neat like I didn't know existed. I went to her home once  where she lived with her mother and 10 Yo younger brother.  It seemed like a very basic  Housing commission place but by god the place was as neat and perfect as you could imagine! Clearly they didn't have much but not a thing out of place. Neater and cleaner than my home has ever been that's for sure, same as she kept the office. Immaculate.

She did have a thing with being late. More often than on time literally.  She would come in, look stressed and upset but would never take a full lunch break to make up for it. Often I asked her when she was going to lunch and she would say she wasn't and I would tell her to go. She would eat and then be straight back to it.
I never was game to ask her why she was always late, clearly she wasn't happy about it either and the way that kid worked, I wasn't that worried. She Never worried about staying back even when she made it up in her lunch break. So many days I'd say what are you still doing here, Go home.  She was always just finishing something or cleaning.

She was polite, professional, My clients loved her, she constantly amazed me with her problem solving abilities but I always got the impression she was quite sad within herself. Very plain girl, never wore much makeup if any, Clothes always looked a bit old fashioned but always of course clean and neat. She was pretty quiet, happy and positive when spoken to but I always thought had something troubling on her mind.

One day, she just didn't show up. No call, I tried ringing her later, no answer. I went round her house on the 3rd day but no one came to the door. She had a friend that would ring her most days, very briefly, sub 30 sec calls and she rang the first day and I told her she hadn't shown and could she ask her to ring me and let me know what was going on but I never heard from her again either.
Finally I called the cops and asked what I should do and if I needed to report it? They took her details and said they would check everything was OK and that was it.
I Never heard from her or about her again.

I have always wondered what happened to her. We certainly had no problems. I would often give her extra in her pay packet because I felt she earned it. She was always late, took a few sick days but when she was there she was 200%.
Always hoped nothing bad happened to her but then I can't think of anything good that would have explained why she never showed or I never heard from her again.

I sure missed her.  The secretary's I hired after her weren't a pinch on that young kid.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:20am 27 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Kinda sad story there, Dave.  

I know women who are mechanics, electronics techs and electricians.
They are all excellent at what they do, but they certainly are not softies!
Strong women in the mostly-male trades like these, are dearly sought after by the men, and pretty much all of them have been hunted to extinction!

...meaning they have all been snapped up by the men pretty quick as wives and girlfriends so a single women in the trade is hard to find!  

duongger

Posted: 10:55am 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's why I think working online is a better option, you can choose any area you're interested in. Also, most young people work remotely since it's more convenient and safer in a current situation. A lot of places outside accept bitcoin in online business. If you're interested in this topic or work in this field, a crypto wallet is a great thing.
Edited 2021-02-03 20:56 by duongger

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 03:30am 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Seeing this thread come up again reminds me of about the biggest error in judgement/ off the mark Prediction I can ever remember making:

Quote  I am greatly hoping an upshot of the China flu is the dispensing with all this Touchy feely, PC Bullsh*t and everyone is forced to take a big dose of harden the Fk up and get back to a position of basic sanity.

I thought that things getting a bit tougher wuold be a reality check to what I thought for some time was the PC mentality getting out of hand. I have been telling people for months I could not have got anything more wrong.

Instead of people hardening up and getting back to some independence and growing a pair, it seems things have gone the complete opposite at 1000 Mph.
I haven't been able to believe what I have seen and the way people have gone backwards.
I can't give specifics without upseting the powers that be but I'm sure everyone that's not a precious snowflake knows what I mean.

One case was going into a big Tool store on Sunday. A Real tool place, not bunnings.
I walk in and there is a table with 20L drums of sanitiser as they sell and some BS to check in on an app on your phone.  NO requirement to do that here atm. There was a mask requirement in Public that was lifted on the saturday.

I walked in and didn't even notice the QR BS and went to the end of the line to pick up some things I ordered online and hadn't got waiting for the face nappy crap to be over.  There is this guy with the same sort of Vertical disablement as my wife wearing a mask who turns around and is staring at me.  I Ignore it at first then think WTF? and look back it him.  He said in an alarmist Voice, ' You didn't Check in or sanitise!!"  I said  "You're Right!" and left him there in apparent astonishment.
2 staff appeared, one served him, the other me and I'm standing there waiting for the guy to fetch my order and then notice the girly boy pointing at me and telling the other guy I hadn't checked in or sanitised.  I shoot them both a look that must have sent the message and the other staff member seems to brush it off and go back to whatever the guy was looking for, feather duster, fluffy pink gumboots, who knows?

Wrong again, Thought a hardcore tool shop might have a more " Manly" approach to things. The 20L drums of sanitiser they sell was amusing but the check in crap.... Uggggh!

At the peak of the pox Phobia, my wife was asked to move the section  she runs at work to another temporatry location.  She said ONLY if she got to pick and choose the staff she took with her.  As as soon as it was announced what would be happening, there were shrieks of protest and people literally lining up at her bosses door complaining they didn't want to have to go anywhere else ( new location hadn't been decided on at that point ) and just a refusal to change and self centred attitude.  The way things were, they should have been damn lucky to still have a Job at all not being picky about where they did it.

The work is monitored and stats revised daily and the remote team smashed the numbers out of the ball park.  Her boss and every boss up to the GM came to see her eventually asking how the Fk they were doing that?  My wife told them straight out, I took the best of the bunch, left the dead wood behind and that's that. They spoke to the staff as to how they were all getting on, they told them having a great time can we stay here permanently?

When the location of the temporary place was announced and several of the initial whingers found it would be much closer to them and less travel time , of course the tune changed, all the way in the end to it " Not being fair the others got to go and they didn't".  Yep, AFTER they complained they didn't want to go anywhere else.

They had the temp setup about 4 months then got moved back to the main site. Because a lot of the other staff have been working remotely or coming in once a week instead of every day, the place has been reshuffled and my wifes team got their own ( very large) separate section  and work independently of the 2 other teams doing the same job.  Her team, little less than half the size of each of the other 2 pretty much come close to doubling their combined performance still.

She has the HR lady she gets on well with lined up to help her put in for a BIG pay rise in a couple of months when they get their review.  :0)

The big guy she intimidated turned out to be no problem. He went to another section when my wife moved out and had problems with the boss there as well. Before his probation was up, he resigned saying the position was too stressful for him.

I think floral arrangement or tissue testing would have been too much for him in reality.

Things have worked well for my Daughter as well with all this pox hysteria.

She got a Transfer to another store just before the pox got serious.  They have a lot of casual staff and there were loads not turning up thanks to job keeper which paid them more to sit on their arse at home than go to work. My Daughter was happy to fill in, often with little to no notice, work longer hours and get them out the ship many times. She has got very friendly with the area boss now who has been a big help in training and progressing her and has been  made aware of her hard work

He turned up the other day, told her Boss we are going for a long lunch, I'll bring her back when we are don. They went out, he told her we have been watching you and what you have done, you interested in becoming a manager? She said of Course!  He said OK, what you want to run? She said she would be happy to stay where she was or go wherever there were opportunities and they could use her. He said ok, done, leave it with me.

She said this guy is well known not to beat around the bush. She expects the next thing will be he'll show up, give her a week to 3 days notification, sign your new agreement and that will be it.

Nice to see hard work and dedication IS still rewarded in some places at least and some bosses still do things the old fashioned way and reward on effort and ability.
Several of her friends work for this company, JB-Hi fi, and I have to say, everything I have seen and heard of them even before my Daughter started working for them has been they go out their way to look after their (good and not so good)) staff.  

Also very rare and commendable these days.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 04:29am 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  

I know women who are mechanics, electronics techs and electricians.
They are all excellent at what they do, but they certainly are not softies!
Strong women in the mostly-male trades like these, are dearly sought after by the men, and pretty much all of them have been hunted to extinction!

Back when I had a supervisory position in the public service, I was interviewing applicants for an electronics Technical Officer position.
I interviewed about a dozen blokes and one 20 year old female, which ended up getting the position.
Everyone gave me hell over that, virtually accusing me of being a potential child molester or something.

This lady was really good, won an apprentice of the year award in fact. It turned out she had seven older brothers and she would not take crap from anyone. So that worked out really well.

But I have also seen the exact opposite type that Dave is talking about, the social justice wimps that are never on time, probably do not own a clean second pair of shoes, and probably wash their hair about once a year.

I am very glad to be retired and right out of it.
Cheers,  Tony.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024