Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:25 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Bye Bye Winsucks

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 03:41am 09 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Guy's,
           Well last Thursday was my birthday and the hd on my computer gave up the ghost, of all days for it to happen well I blame on winsucks.

The only linux disk I had was ubuntu 11.04 and soon found out that distro is outdated and no support at all is offered.

So got on my wifes computer and asked a mate who lived close by to burn me a iso of linux mint 20 and well today after installing it I'm back on the net. I found some saved bookmarks so added them and all my forums are back albiet from 5 + years ago but eh I'm back on the web to create havoc like old.      

With my acer M9370 computer it wouldn't let me put in a new hd and install winsucks 7 and trying several times only worsened the pain.

So linux to the rescue and bye bye winsucks for the last time

Cheers Bryan

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:35am 09 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ALL my server computers run Puppy Linux, and I have played around with several distros, but none of them will run my CAD softwares.  WINE was unreliable, and although I COULD run them happily inside a VM from Linux, if you have to run a VM of Windoze inside Linux just to run the CAD software, you might as well just run Windoze and be done with it.

I feel your pain though, as I have regular issues with Windoze.  Tonight, W10 refused to talk to the net - kept on saying there was 'No Internet', but that is bollocks, as a couple of other machines on the LAN can see the net and use it just fine, and the router has the 'Internet' LED lit.  I can ping the router from W10, but cannot connect to anything.

Running the network troubleshooter results in W10 saying it does not know how to fix the problem.

A reboot clears the problem and I am up on the net again, but WHY does W10 just decide to drop the active internet connection, saying there is no internet, when there clearly is?  

Does anyone know of a way you can force W10 to refresh the internet connection perhaps from inside the command window?  As this is my main machine with dual screens and a whole plethora of programs I leave running 24/7, it IS more of a pain in the arse then you might first think, if I have to close all those, reboot, and then open everything up to where it was before.  

If my CAD software was not limited to Windoze only, I would have moved more permanently to Linux myself, but cos I use those CAD's just about every day, this is an absolute must that the Linux MUST be able to run them, and currently, no Linux can reliably, with the exception of using a VM as mentioned above, but for the same reasons as above, I am not willing to run them that way.  CAD producers have said they will never be porting to Linux, so that kinda means......
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 09:22am 09 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  Does anyone know of a way you can force W10 to refresh the internet connection perhaps from inside the command window?  As this is my main machine with dual screens and a whole plethora of programs I leave running 24/7, it IS more of a pain in the arse then you might first think, if I have to close all those, reboot, and then open everything up to where it was before...

This happens quite often when I am running a virtual Win10 machine; to fix go to the host PC, Opening Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections
Select a connection, right click menu, "Disable" ok , then "Enable"

Win10 will then hopefully detect the new connection and use it; works for me anyway.

Cheers
Mike

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 09:51am 09 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use Linux on the internet.

And Windoze for various CAD software, but its far too dangerous to ever connect Windoze up to the internet directly.  
As long as the devils and demons on the internet cannot access Windoze they are screwed.
Cheers,  Tony.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:53am 11 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Solar Mike: Thanks for that hint.     I will try it out next time this happens.
@ Warpspeed:  

I might have another go with some form of Linux(Mint seems to be popular with many people) and a VM for my CAD - just to play around.  I remember from the last time I did that, that the CAD ran perfectly happily inside the VM, but nothing I did would allow me to map the VM Windoze printer, to the native Linux one.  It just never worked, although Linux happily detected and setup the LAN printer just fine.

Something to do on the next rainy weekend.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:27am 19 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

UPDATE: this happened again to me after W10's latest forced update, and Solar Mike's method worked.  Disable, then re-enable, and the connection came back without a full reboot.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024