Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:35 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Changes to forum image handling.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:10am 01 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've noticed some of the uploaded circuit diagrams and drawings are not very readable once the forum's code has resized them down to 500 pixels. While I think the resizing is working great for photos, I've made a change to the code to treat drawings differently, or more specifically, GIF files.

There are two common formats used for images on web pages, JPG and GIF. JPG, the most common, is best suited for photo's, scenery, anything with lots of colour. GIF is best for drawings, schematic diagrams, etc, anything with line detail.

I've told the forums code to treat the image types differently. For now on, JPG will be resized to 500 pixels, as before, but GIF will be resized to 1000 pixels wide. Note: images are only resized down if they are bigger than 500 / 1000 in the first place, if you upload a smaller picture it will be left as is.

So if you have a diagram or schematic you wish to keep as a large image on the forum, save it as GIF before uploading. This will make it a lot easier for others to see the details.

Again, if there are any problems, let me know.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

SparWeb

Posted: 05:36pm 02 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If I may, I'd like to add one more suggestion:

When you expect your image to be resized, bear in mind that the best results will occur when the image starts out at some even multiple of the final product.

For example, if a 2000 pixel wide GIF is resized down to 1000 pixels, it will probably be more legible in the end than if the GIF was, say, 1724 pixels wide. My experience is that JPG files have more leeway in this. Usually. I always preview my posts to make sure.

Steven T. Fahey

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024