Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:30 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Take on me....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:17am 11 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This video from A-HA back in the 80's, seven months or so ago, broke more the ONE BILLION views on YouTube....

A-HA - Take On Me

Keep in mind, that all the animation in this brilliant video, would have been hand-drawn frame-by-frame back in the day, as there were no PC-based video editors back in the 80's

So, that is 25 frames-per-second - hand-drawn - for all the animation shots.
The amount of time this must have taken to produce and edit amazes me, and what amazes me even more, is that now - in the 2020's, a video from the 80's - forty years ago, can still gain more then one BILLION views.

Shows us something, surely.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:29am 11 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MAKING OF:

PART ONE

PART TWO

PART THREE

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 10:07am 11 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

it's a guilty secret of mine that i like this when I was a much younger lad... Bunty Bailey was fit as a butcher's dog!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:09am 11 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I grew up with this song.
So many great 80's bands.
I should perhaps list my favorites from that period.  
Everything today, is overdubbed, over-sampled, voice-corrected rubbish.

EDIT: THIS song was also one of my firm favorites of the time.
Edited 2020-10-11 20:18 by Grogster

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 10:59am 11 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a long list of Favourite Music I have put into playlists from YT.
I know the film clip to that song by heart. It is extremely powerful for something so animated.

I don't care what anyone says, the 80's were the best time to be young and alive.
Left school in the early 80's at 15 years old. Got a job and had a blast till my little brother was killed some years toward the end of the decade.  That put a damper on things from then on but before that... as they say, we never realised how good we had it.

I used to live couple of hundred meters from a club where they had all the top bands at the time and the emerging ones. I saw INXS 3 times there same for the angels and many other aussie rock bands. Mondo rock, dragon, kids in the kitchen Euro gliders, cold Chisel, Radiators, Midnight oil, paul Kelly, Men at work and so it went. Was one of the premier Clubs in sydney at the time and I was in walking distance and a short walk home at that.  Was 15 When I started going there. Everyone said I looked 23 so I never had any trouble getting and but no one really did then.  At worst all the locals knew go in the back door from the carpark and the guy there with the coke Bottle glasses would accept any answer you gave him IF he ever bothered to ask which was rare.

That said, with all these under age kids, there was probably a LOT less trouble than there is now.  The Drunks and fights were all people in their late 20's and 30's.  The under age ones drank as did I but it was VERY rarely a problem. We really did go there for the music, EVERY Friday night and some Saturdays.  Friday was automatic, Didn't know who was playing but was rarely disappointed. Saturday would often be the bigger more popular bands then like the Oils, INXS, dragon and ones like Mondo that had songs on the radio.

Went where I wanted, did what I wanted and just had a good time like all the other kids then.  I still look at the fashions, particularly what the girls would wear and still think it' looks hot.  Certainly takes me back.

Probably sound like a Delinquent doing everything under age but the reality was very different. I had a LOT of drive and spirit then and was probably too stupid to know I couldn't do things. I did so much sh*t that I look back on and think how did I get away with it.  I got myself a job with a major newspaper Photographing the queen when she came to Oz Over the phoine. Worked for them for 3 Months having a load of pics published before I went in one day to collect Cheques and they saw I was a kid.

I lived with my Grandmother and looked after her as much as she looked after me.
Gran was funny.  If I said Bloody or sh*t in the house even much later when I was 27 years old, It was if you are going to use lanuage like that, pack your bags and get out.  When I was 15, It was if you want to leave school ( I HATED it)  You can the day you turn 15 IF you have a job because I am not having any dole Bludger living under my roof.  I got a job and left school the DAY I turned 15.

I was allowed to smoke and Drink, Outside.  Gran reckoned if I was old enough to do a days work like a man that she wasn't right to stop me drinking or smoking.  I never did smoke and I rarely drank, I just collected it.  Gran said If I wanted to drivk, I could give her the money and she would get whatever I wanted as I was under age to buy it ( never stopped me)  and I could come home and drink it where she knew I was safe. I could drink out in the back yard and then If I threw up it didn't matter and If I passed out she could put a blanket over me to keep me warm and know I was safe in the back yard.

Rather than go nuts, those things never interested me.
thing was, You COULD do all that then. Nothing was regulated and checked and over the top like it is now.  People were happy, were free, relaxed and life was SOOO simple in comparison.

Music was a sore point though.  As with all young kids it was never loud enough and if Gran could hear it at all, it was way too loud.
I saved up and bought a good radio cassette and a heap of blank tapes.  You would sit with the tape deck on record awaiting for a song to come on and wishing the DJ would shut up quick instead of talking over the start of the song while you were recording it.  Tapes and records were expensive then.

For some time after I lost my brother I pretty much turned into a Zombie.  He was killed at night and maybe that was the reason I wouldn't go to bed in the dark pretty much. I'd sit up all Night watching a music show I think was called after Dark. Came on after midnight and went till 5 or 6 am.  I worked as a wedding Photographer and made FAR more Money shooting Fri, sat and Sun than any of my then better qualified mates made.  Music was a big thing at these turnouts so it was always with me.

Aussie music was far and away the best then and at it's peak as well.
What amazes me now aside from the repetitive sound of the music now that sounds like some machinery has thrown a bearing up to the point it fails and there is a train derailment, Is how much Music from the 80's and 90's the early 20's kids know now.
What they don't know is that a lot of these remakes are songs from that era or they are listening to the originals themselves.

Was at a 21st last year and was sitting round on the edge of the dance floor talking to some kids I knew and a remake came on that was a latest release or something.
One girl who is a singer knew it and when she heard me singing it she pulled me up with her and we sang it together. Her sounding better than me but I knew the words perfectly.  All the sudden I was the coolest " Old" person there even though pretty much all the other parents knew it well too. The kids didn't have a clue the song came out when we were younger than them.

I still sit up very often till the wee hours watching YT vid clips and going through my play lists. So many memories attached to the different songs. Some very happy, some tragic, many you just see a persons face like an old girlfriend or remember a job, time place or an era.

Mrs was talking about having bit of a shindig later in the year, think we should make it an 80s Party.  
Think I still have a Pink shirt and a Skinny Tie.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 12:17pm 11 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A short list of some of my 80's Favourites....

The best performance by the best band at the best concert of the '80's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O93CoQ5Klt0

I saw Doc and the angels so many times. used to follow them a bit when they were in Sydney.  Saw the 2nd last  Show Doc ever did.  Unreal. Said to the mrs there and then, If I can go that hard at his age I'll be doing Bloody well.  True legend of oz Music.

This one I play every year about this time to Cheer myself up in anticipation for the coming season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8rEMB5c_3Y

So much of the 80's in Oz in that song.  Funny enough, I shot the catalouge for a lot of the Swimsuits featured in that clip.  Don't know if they were supplied or just extremely popular but I know them.
Not weird for a bloke to say that is it?
Much!

This one I taught myself to play on a cheapo Casio Keyboard.  One of the bands at one of the wedding Venues I used to work at would play it. Long story short, I got a go on the Korg synth the guy had and then used to play it with them every night I was there.  Felt like a rock star every time. One of the only songs I could play worth a damn and the other one wasn't really dance music But geez I loved playing that and we would do all sorts of extended and muck around versions and it always sounded great.

Also related to a lot of the other work I used to do shooting catalogues etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CimFacjLWM

Always think this is bit of a girly song but it was so related to what I did and sends shivers up my sine watching it now.  I can almost smell the film and takes me back so much as it was just somuch like so many sets I'd work on.  I did work a couple of times with one of the singers in that band, Tottie Gold Smith. She was a friend of the owner of a company I used to work for and would model for her line.  Had a mad Crush on Ally Fowler though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDN_8g2S62s&list=PLWw0eTbyHSuQ2K-m2vcW7DgZVXvtYsW4J&index=27

The song for my Brother whom I lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWSQS06i7-w

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024