Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:37 18 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : How to destroy your engine in 18 seconds....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:57am 04 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Check this out:

Destroy your engine...

Ahhhh...........that's not good.  
Edited 2020-12-04 18:58 by Grogster
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:21am 04 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

nah, that'll buff out.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 12:10pm 04 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I look at those tractor Pull Vids Regularly.
The forces they subject those motors to is unreal. I have seen plenty where the engine Blows itself clean out of the Tractor and can launch through the air and land 30Ft away.

Other thing that amazes me with the Diesels is the amount of smoke.  The sheer volume of fuel they must be pumping to create that much exhaust must be huge.

I have seen engines get destroyed nearly as quick. Remember when I was younger a "Colourful" character we knew built a 400 BB Chev which he put in a HQ Holden that wasn't even fit for Recycling.

Fired the thing Up, let it run for no time at all and decided to do a Burnout in front of the workshop.
Thing came to a very abrupt halt which was subsequently found to be due to forgetting to put any oil in the thing. That will do it every time!

Don't know how many engines we have sold from the wrecking yard to people that had the temp or oil light come on in their cars and " just wanted to get home" even when home was 50 KM away and then wonder why the engine got cooked.

One I have now came to me through exactly that. Car split the radiator, woman Driver saw the steam and heard " The funny noises" but was nearly home and thought it would be OK till she got there. It wasn't.

Didn't want to spend the money on another engine even though the car was Low Km and in very good nick over all so I bought it off her for a couple of hundred bucks.  Thing came in on a Truck in the morning and I had the old engine out and the replacement in that afternoon and drove the thing into town that night for Dinner. Ironically I only had it a few days and it split the replacement radiator I put in it but I caught it before it got too hot and this time put in a brand new one.

The colour some engines turn and the fact they get hot enough to melt sensors, wires and hoses is quite amazing.

The other thing we sell a lot of is Manual Gearboxes and Diffs. The kids ( and not so young anymore) will spend a lot of money on engines to do them up and then want to take off flat out at every set of lights and spit the gearboxes and Diffs with regularity.  Some never seem to learn at all and keep doing the same thing! They make for profitable but highly questionable customers.

So far the Record was a guy that came in Quite recently and got a New clutch on the Monday and came back for another one on the Wednesday. The fact he didn't even try to suggest the thing was faulty was a surprise but very telling as well.
When the old one came out we knew why. The thing looked like a mass of Dog hair in the bell housing rather than the dust one normally sees. What it takes to do that I don't want to think about.

Of course it was only a few weeks after that he stuck the rods through the side of the block. On injected cars with rev limiters, the most likely way to do this is with a " Money Shift". Probably went from 4th to 1st instead of 4th to 3rd.

Some people shouldn't have a Push bike let alone a Motor Vehicle.

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 03:03pm 04 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just good down home fun. If you're a redneck... :)

http://www.lionssuperpull.com/

Just 20km from my house.

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 07:53pm 04 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

car go boom

Here's one for you... lucky it was in relatively controlled environment.
I think it works !!

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 09:24pm 04 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Kind of adds a new dimension to:   "and the engine blew up"
Cheers,  Tony.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 09:42pm 04 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

noneyabussiness said  car go boom

Here's one for you... lucky it was in relatively controlled environment.

I notice the drivers door was not on the car. Maybe they were expecting the thing to hand grenade. Looks like they weren't disappointed!

I wonder why they push them so hard?
It's not that difficult to get 1000Hp/ Ft Lb out of those trucks in nearly any breed and quite reliably.  How much more they want?

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 07:57am 05 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Davo99 said  
I wonder why they push them so hard?

same reason people climb mountains or dive from the edge of space or free climb El Capitain etc.  It is fun to do extreme things, more-so in an air of competitiveness amongst like-minded humans.

It is eloquently captured in the 2019 meme "hold my beer" of 'I can do better' e.g.

Yoko Ono: "I split up the beatles"
Megan Markle:"Hold my beer"

In my youth I have partaken of some pretty daft stuff but I had a blast and now I can bore with the best of them  

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:31am 05 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That one I linked too appeared to be a block failure, where the entire upper block complete with head still bolted on, is propelled upwards(after block failure) by the extreme pressures involved.  Unfortunately, that totally destroys the engine with rods and pistons and various other bits of internal engine metal being thrust all over the place.  Not really something you could ever rebuild.

I could not see exactly what happened in the 'car go boom' video, as the resolution is quite low, but I think it suffered the same thing, but the bonnet(hood for our American friends here) contained it.

The video I posted reminded me of the impressively catastrophic block failure on the European Maid tractor in Germany a few years ago.

LINK...
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 11:50am 05 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When you run over your own engine! That's gotta hurt the wallet. Not that the guys doing this would be too worried I don't think.

There is another vid similar to that which sticks in my mind. It's at an Indoor arena in the US and the engine blows itself many feet upwards and forwards of the tractor. I think you'd have to use more than one stick of Dynamite from what I have seen to propel that sort of mass so far.

Watching those Vidsm something I find rather worrying is how pathetic the fire Fighting and awareness seems to be in a lot of US events.  Seen many Vids where an engine detonates, there is a fire and the officials often leisurely stroll up with an extinguisher ( if you could call it that) Which resembles a can of Fly spray  more than even the smallest car type extinguishers we know here. They appear to be Co2 as you can see little coming out of them which would probably make them even less effective with the paltry size than a dry Powder.

I used to cover a lot of Motorsports and the fire fighting we had here was very extensive and the standards were very high. Went to a few meets that were held up because the officials weren't happy with the fire fighting at one part of the track or another and they had to call a company to get extra equipment in.
Whenever anything did happen, There were people on the scene with extinguishers big as they could carry in seconds and vehicles arriving not much later.

So many vids I see in the US and things are burning and it's like they don't care or can't do anything about it.

The other thing I see appears to be blind dumb ignorance by officials. They  have blown alcohol/ Nitro Pullers and they Grenade and one can clearly see the heat haze from the alky fire but the officials are just standing round Oblivious.
They should bloody well know and would be diligent to assume when an alky motor goes pop, there is going to be a fire. Just because you can't see regular flames, certainly does not mean it's not happening.

Watched one vid where a Crew member and the Driver are screaming at officials and pointing to the fire and the moron with the headset is just shrugging his shoulders telling them it's OK.  You can see the massive heat haze coming off the engine and see things melting to know what is going on. Why so many of these officicial seem ignorant is beyond me. Surely they must have some sort of training and education.
Why there aren't extra precautions for these fuel types I don't know but it's pretty incredible they aren't a lot more on top of it.

I often used to think things here were over pedantic but one can be very thankful when one see's the alternative of being slack and clueless.

Those Pullers sure do get those oil engines Screaming. I only ever had one Diesel that I would take over 3000 RPM and that was a little 2L Peugeot Turbo and that went to about 4000.  All the rest have been flat out and 3000 and many of them wouldn't even do that. They have to be screaming a lot of these puller engines way over 7K rpm.

Guess some people have no mechanical Sympathy or sense of respect!   :0)

I know a lot of these engines are running 80PSI on the turbo boost and some a lot more.

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 01:58pm 05 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Davo99 said  I wonder why they push them so hard?

In the case of the tractors, they haul a sled that slides a weight towards the tractor making it harder to pull as it goes down the track. The winners gets bucks, beers, and bragging rights.

Tractor pulls are the drag (literally) races of the corn fields. It's very common to see engines get launched into a low orbit.

Where I grew up in Black Forest Colorado, we have the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. And fond memories of Michelle Mouton kicking the boys butts in '85.

Ask the guys at Bathurst why they do it.

While you are at it, can someone explain to me why a Falcon GTHO came in a four-door model? Not exactly the sexiest way to go...

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 03:29am 06 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

SimpleSafeName said  
  Davo99 said  I wonder why they push them so hard?

In the case of the tractors, they haul a sled that slides a weight towards the tractor making it harder to pull as it goes down the track. The winners gets bucks, beers, and bragging rights.

Yeah, know what tractor pulling is and I get they obviously want max HP in a competition but what I was referring to was the Vid of the "Pickup" truck which every soccer "mom" in the US seems to think is the only mode of transport available, which was linked lunching itself on the Dyno.

As I said, Not hard to get any of them wether they be Cummins, powersmoke or Duramax to do 1000 HP and more Ft Lb reliably. ( Clearly  Super Duty navistar being the exception here!)  Why anyone would want more than that and go out on the edge of reliability is beyond me. If anyone needs more power than that for towing, they clearly need a full size semi with a 12v92 in it.

Quote  Where I grew up in Black Forest Colorado, we have the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. And fond memories of Michelle Mouton kicking the boys butts in '85.

The equivalent of our Bathurst in a different format. Now a Volkswagen of all things has the title and in electric!  Such Blasphemy!

Quote  Ask the guys at Bathurst why they do it.

Bathurst cars are quite reliable for what they are. Catastrophic engine failures are quite rare.  But again, that's competition. the vehicle on the Dyno was an everyday Driver not a race car.

Quote  While you are at it, can someone explain to me why a Falcon GTHO came in a four-door model? Not exactly the sexiest way to go...

Because at the time  Ford wanted something to win Bathurst and it was a case of win on sunday, sell on monday and they wanted to have the widest appeal in the market which was 4 door family cars. The 2 door also was not popular in pre sales marketing  opinion polls and there were concerns over body rigidity.

Don't know about not being sexy, it was never meant to be. It was a Muscle car not a show pony. When you are the fastest 4 Door production car in the world, you don't need anything else.

The 2 Door racer came out with the XA Model which also won Bathurst.
Every Australian Car to win Bathurst since the '80's has been a 4 door because there were no 2 doors made here with the exception of the 2 Door Monaro which was sold as the Pontiac in the states but was a limited non homologated run here.

We used to like to make practical family cars go fast rather than pain in the arse 2 Doors. Mate of Mine took me for a ride in his V8 supercharged Commodore station wagon the other day. With over 600Hp at the wheels, it's a ball tearer even with 5 Doors.
He has the GTS Sedan in the shed as the Sunday car.
That's the fast one.
Edited 2020-12-06 13:41 by Davo99

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 04:31am 06 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Davo99 said  As I said, Not hard to get any of them wether they be Cummins, powersmoke or Duramax to do 1000 HP and more Ft Lb reliably. ( Clearly  Super Duty navistar being the exception here!)  Why anyone would want more than that and go out on the edge of reliability is beyond me. If anyone needs more power than that for towing, they clearly need a full size semi with a 12v92 in it.

I don't frequent these events, noise and large crowds aren't my thing. But I don't think that these are stock engines that they are dyno testing. Some might be I suppose.

Quote  Where I grew up in Black Forest Colorado, we have the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. And fond memories of Michelle Mouton kicking the boys butts in '85.

Davo99 said  The equivalent of our Bathurst in a different format. Now a Volkswagen of all things has the title and in electric!  Such Blasphemy!

I know, what is the world coming to?

Quote  Ask the guys at Bathurst why they do it.

Davo99 said  Bathurst cars are quite reliable for what they are. Catastrophic engine failures are quite rare.  But again, that's competition. the vehicle on the Dyno was an everyday Driver not a race car.

That's because they have several modes of failure given the length of the race. PPHC is just 20 or so klicks, not the 1000 of Bathurst. The two normal modes of failure on the hill is planting yourself in the forest below the treeline, and finding yourself back down at the treeline (the hard way).

Quote  While you are at it, can someone explain to me why a Falcon GTHO came in a four-door model? Not exactly the sexiest way to go...

Davo99 said  Because at the time  Ford wanted something to win Bathurst and it was a case of win on sunday, sell on monday and they wanted to have the widest appeal in the market which was 4 door family cars. The 2 door also was not popular in pre sales marketing  opinion polls and there were concerns over body rigidity.

Don't know about not being sexy, it was never meant to be. It was a Muscle car not a show pony. When you are the fastest 4 Door production car in the world, you don't need anything else.

The 2 Door racer came out with the XA Model which also won Bathurst.
Every Australian Car to win Bathurst since the '80's has been a 4 door because there were no 2 doors made here with the exception of the 2 Door Monaro which was sold as the Pontiac in the states but was a limited non homologated run here.

We used to like to make practical family cars go fast rather than pain in the arse 2 Doors. Mate of Mine took me for a ride in his V8 supercharged Commodore station wagon the other day. With over 600Hp at the wheels, it's a ball tearer even with 5 Doors.
He has the GTS Sedan in the shed as the Sunday car.
That's the fast one.

Bah. Speaking of blasphemy. :)

Although I agree with you concerning station wagons. As long as they are '57 Nomads that is. :)

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024