Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:07 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : ingenuity flight on Mars

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 11:17am 21 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Amazing stuff... I saw the initial clip "live", this one shows the full ascent/descent as well.

ingenuity flight

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 07:35am 25 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the link. I also saw it live plus a brief replay of it's rising.
Good to see it do it's programmed rotation in the link.

I understand it took about 4 hours to get tbe initial lot of data sent back home & processed. They were anxious to get some visual confirmation that all went well.

The latest SpaceX docking to the ISS was interesting as well. Rather slow though as per usual.

Brian
ChopperP

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 10:06am 25 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I saw that on the News the other night.

I nearly fell off my chair and couldn't stop laughing when they said the thing cost $100M.

I can't get my head around how the hell that little thing could cost hundred million ( no doubt US) bucks and all it did was go up and down for 30 sec or whatever.
There was nothing better they could spend that sort of money on??

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 10:49pm 25 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Third successful flight
here
ChopperP

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 07:55am 26 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good job they can get more than one flight for their $100K.
Anyone know if the thing is rechargeable or when the power pack is done that's it?

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 08:51am 26 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

zeitfest said  Amazing stuff... I saw the initial clip "live", this one shows the full ascent/descent as well.

ingenuity flight

I wanna know how it got over to the launch spot. Who put it there?  
Cheers,  Roger

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 09:08am 26 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As I thought, this mars mission and the helicopter are fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9HHH_H5KoU

The helicopter kicks up absolutely no dust which is impossible. Mars is completely covered in super fine dust laid down by millions of years of wind erosion with no rain ever happening to secure it to the surface. No dust from the downdraft means this is just CGI fakery, the mission is fake as I originally stated and then clearly demonstrated with the (now faked properly) "camera images" but they screwed up again, evidently Mars is a clean room that has no dust. You know - the dust that can completely block out all views of the surface during dust storms. The dust they claim has seriously stifled previous rovers because it built up on the solar panels. Where is it in that helicopter video? it should have been a red-out or brown out. I figured the helicopter would be a failure from the dust, WHERE IS IT???

Cut and pasted From Jim Stone's website.
Cheers,  Tony.

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 04:13am 27 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It suggests that small very-high-altitude helicopter flight is possible on Earth as well,  apart from duration problems. So, if solar power can sustain it, a very-high-altitude helicopter could hover for a few months in the sun above a polar location...much cheaper than geostationary satellites.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 10:19pm 27 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That would be impossible at this point in time and for the foreseeable future.  
There is no way cells could be lightweight or efficient enough for that to happen  for a very long time yet if ever.

The energy required to get the vehicle up high and the power required to sustain it in the thin air would be magnitudes beyond practical. There is also the problem of wind. If there is air for the chopper to work with, there will be wind and plenty of it.  Would be impossible to hold a fixed position or probably  even control the crafts position given the wind speeds at different altitudes.

It's a nice thought but before that happened we'd have cars that were daylight mileage unlimited with some panels on the the roof or Bonnet, solar planes with cells on the wings and a lot of other things way before  solar helicopters.

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 07:00am 28 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

solar plane

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 07:08am 28 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

zeitfest said  solar plane

And the point of the link is??

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 07:55am 28 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The big advantage of space satellites is they are high enough to cover a large expanse of the globe.

A high altitude aircraft can only "see" from horizon to horizon which would not be very useful in comparison.
As Dave says, the higher you go, the more difficult it all becomes as the atmosphere surrounding the earth is very thin compared to the diameter of the earth.

It is definitely possible to build an aircraft that can stay airborne almost indefinitely without resulting to solar power, which obviously does not work at night.  

The Russians have had this for a very long time in the form of a cruise missile that can go completely around the world many times, and therefore has unlimited range.

Its done with a closed cycle steam turbine driving a propeller. Heat for the boiler comes from radioactive decay of plutonium 238, and a condenser recycles the same water continuously.  Its a very slow low altitude cruse missile with terrain following intelligence, so its very difficult to detect. And its also totally silent...

The same plutonium 238 heat source is commonly used in thermoelectric generators for generating electrical power directly, for space applications. The two Voyager probes have been out there for decades still radioing back even now, way out beyond the sun and the entire solar system, and solar power.
Edited 2021-05-01 15:18 by Warpspeed
Cheers,  Tony.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024